The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1
rantingredneck

Breaking News: Remington guy buys another Mossberg......Film at 11....

I've had a Mossberg 835 in OFM camo for years. Also had a blued/wood 500 for quite some time. Been mostly a Remington kinda guy though with multiple 870's an 11-87 and a couple of 700's to cover my rifle needs.

I'd always said that if I ran across a model 500 in the same camo pattern as my 835 for a good price I'd buy it. Not really that I needed it, but just to have one matching the 835. Not sure why but my gun feng shui demands matching this and matching that.

So today at lunch I wandered into one of the local pawn shops and there sat the 500 I always said I'd buy if I found it for a good price. I checked price tag. OK price, not good price. I talked to owner. Negotiated. Great price. Checked the shotgun over. Great shape. Shot some but not much. Tightest action I've felt on a Mossberg (including the two I already had at home). One 4473 later I walked out with a new to me shotgun. I'm sure I'll loosen the action up over time. Or the nephews will . I would attach pics but my computer is not cooperating. Maybe later.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 9, 2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I love happy beginnings. Enjoy....
Old January 9, 2010, 07:35 PM   #3
rantingredneck

Thanks Dave, I intend to .

Pic finally attached.

Upper gun is my much used 835, lower is the new-to-me 500. One advantage to this Mossberg camo finish is that it's pretty durable and rust-resistant. I've had that upper gun out in some nasty conditions hunting over the years and it's held up well. Sure some "character" marks but that's to be expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02820.JPG (82.4 KB, 216 views)

Old January 10, 2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Character marks are just personal histories,RRN.

One 870 forend here has a scar that reminds me every time it's not worth it to climb a sheer rock wall in a quarry just to retrieve a dead pigeon.
Old January 10, 2010, 06:03 PM   #5
rantingredneck

Yep. My Remington 31 has about a 1"x1" chunk of wood missing from the forend that reminds me of a rabbit hunt my grandfather and I went on in St. Pauls, NC about 25 years ago. I remember him getting his feet tangled up in some "wait a minute" vines and whacking the forend on a rock.

Old January 10, 2010, 06:07 PM   #6
rantingredneck

Ah, and pidgeon shooting.....

I used to have a good place here to shoot quarry pidgeons but alas it is no more. No longer allowed via the company's policies.

Oh well, I guess they enjoy cleaning up pidgeon poop........

Old January 11, 2010, 06:21 AM   #7
CajunBass

Quote:
I used to have a good place here to shoot quarry pidgeons but alas it is no more. No longer allowed via the company's policies.

Oh well, I guess they enjoy cleaning up pidgeon poop........
They probably got tired of cleaning up peoples trash.

There used to be a big gravel pit along the river that was open and people from all over came to shoot there. Nobody said anything. Then people started to use it as a dump and every time the company that owned the pit wanted to work it they had to spend a day or so cleaning up the sofa's, stoves, fridges, and assorted household trash that people who were too lazy/cheap to drive a few miles to the county dump left there.

Before to long there was a cable across the entrance, a "NO TRESSPASSING" sign, and the country police on alert to arrest anyone caught there.

To keep it shotgun related my ex and I spent many a fun afternoon there shooting skeet tossed from an Outers trap. I kept the trap, a case or two of skeet, and a case of shotgun shells in the back of our Bronco. All I had to do was grab our shotguns and go.

Those were the good ol' days.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 11, 2010, 08:49 AM   #8
rantingredneck

Quote:
They probably got tired of cleaning up peoples trash.
That was never an issue at this particular location. It was a no guns/insurance liability issue.