The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 27, 2006, 10:52 AM   #1
winklehawk

Snap-Cap and Practice Ammo Questions.

I have been a handgun owner for a few years and just picked up my first shotgun, Mossberg 500A, and I have a few questions.

Snap-Caps – I would like to practice loading, unloading, working the action, etc… Will the 12 ga. plastic snap-caps handle going through the pump action? Or do I need to pick up some of those orange “dummy rounds”?

Practice Ammo – Being a handgun shooter, my practice ammo is usually WWB from Wal-Mart. Is there a “WWB equivalent” for shotgun ammo?

Thanks in Advance,

Mike
Old January 27, 2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Jack O'Conner

Those plastic rimmed dummy shotgun shells for dry firing are junk. Won't be long before the plastic ring breaks off and the dummy case slides into your barrel.

Make your own. Punch out the dented primer of a fired shell. Add a dab of JB weld into the primer pocket and insert an eraser tip. The kind sold at office supply stores for replacement in mechanical drawing pencils. After its dry, cut the extra material away with a razor. This will last and last.

Older double barrel shotguns must be stored with both hammer springs relaxed. Otherwise spring failure is common.
Jack
Old January 27, 2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Petre

I'm gonna have to disagree with Jack here and recommend these from A-Zoom ... http://www.lymanproducts.com/azoom/

These are Aluminum , fit perfectly , haven't broken one yet , they're relatively inexpensive and I don't have to dink around with JBWeld and Eraser tips.

DOCTORS
A The number of Doctors in the U.S. is approximately 700,000
B Accidental deaths caused by Doctors per year average 120,000 or 0.171 per Doctor
GUNS
A The number of legal gun owners in the U.S. is currently over 80,000,000
B The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1500 or .000188 per gun owner

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000x more dangerous than gun owners

Remember, Guns don't kill people, DOCTORS do