The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2005, 08:54 PM   #1
drdirk

Cartridge overall lenght variation?

I am curious to learn what kind of variation you guys are getting on your reloading station. I have a RCBS single stage and NEW a Dillon 550 that I just set up for 45 ACP. I am loading 5.5 Win 231 with the Dillon dies set (as close as I can!) to a overall lenght of 1.230. Bullet is 230 FMJ.

I find my tolerances are about 0.003. I get reading from 1.232 to 1.228 on my Dillon or my RCBS. Dies are RCBS.

What are you finding? Is this ok or should I reduce the lenght so that the longest I get is 1.230? I read that the max COL for 45acp is actually 1.275 so Seems like I am ok on that end... but nobody publishes longer than 1.230 for any bullet as far as I found.

On a different note, so far I am very pleased with the Dillon. I researched my purchase a lot and thanks to this board I found a lot of good suggestions and comments on the Dillon. Not cheap, but so far I think my money is well spend. And MUCH faster than my good old single state!
Old October 20, 2005, 10:18 PM   #2
Jim Watson

.003" variation is not bad.
1.23" OAL seems short for 230 FMJ RN .45 ACP; I load to 1.26" with Zero brand bullets and have seen many such lengths published.