The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 28, 2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Adamantium

Could it be this simple? (1911 problem)

So long story short I bought a Dan Wesson 1911 at the start of this year with a lot of problems. The big one was constant 3 point jams with the factory barrel which went away instantly with a $50 aftermarket barrel.

So after about 3-4k rounds down the tube of the aftermarket barrel I decide to throw on the factory barrel just for kicks and giggles. The first thing I notice is how tight the bushing is on the barrel. I literally couldn't turn it without the aid of a bushing wrench. So I take the barrel off and notice it is enlarged at the end I assume to provide tight lock-up. So much so that with the gun assembled if I stop the slide before closing the last little bit the recoil spring can barely get it into battery. Since the barrel is basically dead to me I get out the sanding paper and reduce the size until the bushing can freely move around it. After that to my amazement I can hand cycle all my ammo through it no problem, even very slowly. I take it to the range and it goes through 300 trouble free rounds which is amazing for a gun that used to choke up almost every magazine.

Has anyone ever seen something like this before? The extractor hasn't been touched since giving up on the factory barrel and the timing in the same as well.

Any thoughts?
Old November 28, 2011, 10:35 PM   #2
Jerry45

Yep! Had the same problem with compensated aftermarket barrel in my Kimber. Would not run. Didn't want to lock-up. Cleaned up the barrel and link and has run fine ever since.