The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 24, 2010, 06:15 AM   #1
44 AMP
Staff

Broomhandle Mauser

Just got a new (to me) toy, one I have been wanting for a long time.
A Broomhandle Mauser.

Now, it doesn't have much collector value, as the gun has been expertly refinished, and in fact, looks brand new. And it is in 9mm Luger. But I was unable to get any stipper clips with it. SO, help me out here, where can I get some stripper clips for this gun? Even one would be a huge improvement!

Also, the gun has a barrel just over 4", and the grips look "short". Could this be a "bolo" model? It is a German made gun, from the markings, although I suppose those could be counterfit?

Even if it was handmade in Pakistan, I don't care, as it is a Broomhandle Mauser, looks brand new, and appears to be in fully fuctional condition, something I have wanted for more than a few decades.

I have not fired it yet (just got it today) but I would like to. Help me get some stripper clips so I can play with my piece of history, please?
Old January 24, 2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Firepower!

Can you post a picture?

Will you be able to modify a 7.63 clip to use 9mm? If so, then I can probably be able to help you there.
Old January 24, 2010, 07:49 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

You can find more info here.
http://www.1896mauser.com/forum/inde...f231cb128525a9

Brooms are fun to shoot, this is a war time commercial from 1918. Numbers matching it is starting to increase in value.
Old January 24, 2010, 01:30 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I believe I can....

I should be able to use the 7.63mm Mauser stripper clip, according to my books there is only .003" difference in the size of the rims. Frankly, even if I can't use a 7.63mm clip to charge the gun, I would still need at least one, to hold the bolt open while I loaded the magazine by hand.

I can't post a pic right now, the wife has the camera....somewhere
When I get it, I will. My gun appears to have a shorter barrel than the one madcratebuilder posted, and I think a shorter grip, but I can't really tell about that.

The markings visible are WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER OBERNDORF a. NECKAR on the frame, and over the chamber, a crown over "U" proofmark on the bolt "ears" and left side of the receiver below the chamber, and the serial # 425xxx, matching on the frame, barrel, fire control group (the assembly that holds the hammer), and with the last 3 digits matching on the hammer.

Any help or info will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old January 24, 2010, 03:03 PM   #5
dreamweaver

I bought some last month, brass, like new. they will work for 9mm as well.
here's where i got 'em
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old January 24, 2010, 03:06 PM   #6
Firepower!

I am getting three for mine, and by that time if you still dont have one I will spare one for you- no problem.
Old January 24, 2010, 04:02 PM   #7
80viking

If the springs in your BH are at all questionable, you can get a complete Wolf spring kit from Brownells for cheap money. Also check the condition of the bolt stop, look closely for cracks. Sarco or Gun Parts have some BH parts, but its always hit or miss anywhere.
Old January 25, 2010, 11:06 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

The stripper clips are the same for all three calibers, 7.63 Mauser, 9mm Parabellum and 9mm Mauser. Just make sure you get Mauser clips and not Steyr Hahn clips.

Jim