The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2014, 03:57 PM   #26
BuckRub

Sevens I hear ya. I've used so much unique in past 15 yrs or so. It just works for me. May not be the best metering but as far as I'm concerned it plain accurate. A lot of people say it's dirty but not to me. I spoke with Shane who works at Rainier bullets. He is their reloading guy. He like Power Pistol and Longshot. I've never used either and don't plan to. If me and him shot together and he kicked my butt. I'd try his powders or get better with mine. But I don't shoot with anyone around here but do qualify with two police departments once a year and the Sheriffs dept. and no one can even come close to me but I believe around here any how policemen never shoot except to qualify. Like I said I have shot mostly anywhere from 4-6 days average the last 20 years. And yes shooting off porch or out windows does give a Huge advantage. I also have about 30 different powders but only use like 3 different ones. My neighbor and friend passed away about 2 yrs ago and his wife told me he wanted me to have his equip and stuff. Maybe 6-7 thousand dollars worth. He bought every bullet, powder, fancy tool and all out there I alwYs found what worked for me and stuck with it.
Old August 8, 2014, 04:11 PM   #27
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Just get some Unique.
. . . ^^ ^^
Old August 8, 2014, 04:21 PM   #28
Nick_C_S

Unique

Quote:
(Unique) may not be the best metering, but as far as I'm concerned it plain accurate. A lot of people say it's dirty but not to me.
It is a more difficult metering powder than most - but not so much as to be an issue, IMO. Hopper throws of Unique can make your scale float around a little, but not enough to be an issue.

Unique is not dirty. Not if one uses it right. Any powder will run dirty if it's underloaded. Unique is no different. But it's actually rather forgiving in that respect. Far more forgiving than - say - HS-6 or Blue Dot.

I too consider Unique an accurate powder.
Old August 8, 2014, 04:27 PM   #29
Gster

When I was new to reloading I did a lot of research, web and manuals. As a newbie I was advised not to start with fast, low volume per load powders. I started with 9mm knowing that next would be the .40 S/W. I have always been meticulous, for lack of a better word about everything. So I stared with Titegroup because it was a powder I could use for both. I have some really accurate loads for all my handguns. .45 auto, .45 Colt, .40 S/W and 9mm with Titegroup. I load single stage and take all the precautions because it is habit now. The only powder I use is Titegroup. But I do load some lead for the .45 Colt with Trail Boss. When I load 9mm I always follow with .40 because I don't have to change my powder drop. They use the same charge. For all my loads I started at low and worked up to good groups and kept going until the groups started to get bigger, Then I backed up to the most accurate.
Old August 8, 2014, 04:38 PM   #30
T. O'Heir

Always started with the powder given in my manual for the accuracy for the bullet weight. Usually stop with the accuracy load powder too.
The ladder testing doesn't really apply to hunting rifles that won't be fired as much as a target rifle.
Old August 8, 2014, 05:08 PM   #31
Nick_C_S

Quote:
As a newbie I was advised not to start with fast, low volume per load powders.
I guess the thought process being the fear of a double-charge.

Whoever dispenses this advice doesn't understand human nature. New loaders tend to be deliberate and often double-check their work. Double-charging can usually be traced back to moments of complacency. It is the experienced loader who tends to become complacent.

I'm just speaking generically Gster. It certainly sounds like your approach to loading is deliberate and cautious.
Old August 8, 2014, 05:57 PM   #32
BuckRub

T O'Heirs last post. I have one manual that does give the best accuracy round and the best hunting round. Never did know or even care to figure those out. And that was rifles also but it was either their rifle or test barrel not MY pistol.
And also that statement that ladder testing only works with either bench guns not hunting guns not the other.... Still wondering why not ??? This is off topic to the original post but some people make statements like that and it doesn't even register with my way of thinking. Lol maybe my ways are not the best ways but dang ....
Old August 8, 2014, 06:48 PM   #33
Gster

I understand what you are saying. When I go out to my range to shoot, no matter what gun or guns I take with me.....I want it/them to be as accurate as possible., hunting gun or bench. That to me is a challenge.
Old August 8, 2014, 06:55 PM   #34
emcon5

Quote:
T O'Heirs last post. I have one manual that does give the best accuracy round and the best hunting round. Never did know or even care to figure those out. And that was rifles also but it was either their rifle or test barrel not MY pistol.
That is Sierra who has Accuracy and Hunting loads in their manuals. From their FAQ:

How did you establish your accuracy load?
These are loads that have a proven history of working well in many rifles. They generally provide a high level of accuracy in many different barrels, not just our test barrel.

What constitutes a hunting load in your manual?
Pure accuracy without regard for energy and trajectory is not viable in the game fields. Our hunting loads are a combination of high velocity for flat trajectory and high striking energy with acceptable hunting accuracy.

I have never selected a powder based on whether the load is for hunting or target shooting. Bullets, yes. Powders, as long as I get adequate velocity and accuracy, I am not that picky.

Quote:
And also that statement that ladder testing only works with either bench guns not hunting guns not the other.... Still wondering why not ???
Got me, I use ladder testing for hunting rifles, and had pretty good luck with it. The advantage for me, is it can help you find a powder charge that will tolerate a little variation, so if the Powder measure throws ± .1 grains, it won't hurt accuracy that much. Example:

That is in a .243 Win, with IMR 4064, which really doesn't meter well, thrown through a RCBS powder measure, and every throw was crunchy. That is a typical group with that rifle at 100 yards. I came up with that charge with a ladder test.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:40 PM   #35
BuckRub

Emcon5 why did you do a ladder test ? Should have just read your Sierra manual and grabbed that accuracy load. Lol
I don't put that much in published loads or internet or what people say. I listen and basically go with what my gun tells me. In life most things are like that and I don't even care to get started or I'll be banned again before the sun rises :-)
Only one thing right now I can think of about knowing by Faith instead of going by our eyesight.
Old August 9, 2014, 12:05 AM   #36
Hook686

BuckRub good luck with your quest and thank you for your service.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.