The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 20, 2013, 06:18 PM   #1
ZVP

Worn out!

My $100 HD Shotgun project is slowly coming to a screeching halt! Yet another part s worn out and the gun could become a money pit.
I am leaning on going back to the Hock Shop and buying a replacement gun, this time one in better shape. Seems what I'd taken for monor wear was infanta very worn out gun. I learned a lot about Mossberg 500's and will likely stick with them for the second gun but this time I'll get one with dual slide bars and at least new enough to have a serial#! In the mean time I can write numrich and get the part to fix the 'old Wards/Mossberg 12 ga.
I figgure around $250 (used) for the basic gun and thendepending on barrel, maybe modify it or bunya replacement Cyl Bore bbl.
I think the wife is behind me on this project cause she saw all the fun I had with the hacksaw on the last gun. This time I will be probablly going to shoot the stock bbl because I can buy replacement barrels.
A 28" filled with Buckshot is a formidable thing to face and hopefully, I'll never need it.
Sometimes we inexperienced buyers don't know enough to spot real wear on used guns. I admit my mistake and am glad it only set me back $130 aand some frustration! A hundred bucks is cheap for all the education I got too! Plus I still have the origonal double barrel that I couldn't cut and have a perfectly functional 28inch barreled 20 ga SxS to protect the house with till the new gun is bought.
BPDave
Old July 20, 2013, 07:44 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

You can buy a new one for about $250, why buy used?
Old July 20, 2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Bake

How much is your life worth?
Old July 21, 2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Backwoodsboy

I agree with big d in fl, a new Mossberg 500 combo around here goes for about 300.00-325.00. Why buy used.
Old July 21, 2013, 02:02 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

When they look at a used gun rack, some folks see overpriced old guns. Some folks see projects and a chance to learn. To each his own.

Jim