The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 15, 2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Francine

Film about kids shooting looking for help

Hi TFL members
I'm doing some background research into film about kids shooting and am looking to speak to people who have kids who shoot, or who are about to learn. I would like to find people who have thought about it and can talk about the reasons why ie family tradition, hunting tradition, competition, self defence etc - I'm sure there are lots of people with lots to say.

I'd love to hear what you think we should be looking at? So far I'm thinking

*kids going on their first hunting trip in a family with a big hunting tradition.
*Kids learning self defense because their parents have had a bad experience in the past and want their kids to be able to protect themselves
*Kids learning in maybe a hunter education class -
*Kids going in for competitions
*camps to help bridge family bonds when something has fractured the family in some way.
* Getting a gun and their first shooting lessons - with mum and dad, or a course.
*? other areas you think would be good?

I'm from Minnow Films, we are an award-winning production company and make intelligent and thoughtful films for BBC and International broadcasters. Our website is www.minnowfilms.co.uk
I'm also trying to decide where to visit as its such a big country - and any advice is welcome about this!
I'd love to chat to people online, or on the telephone. I'm coming to the States to meet people in a few weeks so it would be great if you let me know what you think. Thank you, Francine.
Old July 15, 2013, 10:07 AM   #2
tyme
Staff

Note from TFL Staff: This project is neither sanctioned nor backed by Thefiringline.com.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old July 15, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Pahoo

Welcome

As a Hunter Safety instructor, I as well as literally hundreds of others, are involved with the State's Hunter Ed programs as well as many competitive shooting programs. Not well publicized is the fact that many of these programs were started and still supported by the NRA. If by chance you have issues with that, then you limit your sources. ......

Most if not all states, have a YHEC program. I have listed ours and you can go from there. ....

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Education/Cam...hatisYHEC.aspx

Also;
http://ihea-usa.org/

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 15, 2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Francine

Documentary film

Thanks Pahoo
This is really useful.
On the competitive shooting front, I'm just interested in the kids and their families so it sounds like a good way to find them.
If you know of any families who might be interested, would you pass on my request?
Thank you!
Old July 15, 2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Closing The Gap

Quote:
*Kids learning self defense because their parents have had a bad experience in the past and want their kids to be able to protect themselves
Just curious. Why is it necessary in your mind for the parents to have had a bad experience in the past in order for self defense to be a reason? Can't it just be something proactive rather than reactionary?
Old July 15, 2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Francine

Hi Closing the Gap
I think if the parents can talk about something that has happened to them and their concern that the same would happen to their children, then that would be very powerful. I'm not ruling out those who are being pro-active tho
Old July 16, 2013, 07:41 PM   #7
LewSchiller

These folks might be able to help
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
Old July 17, 2013, 07:06 AM   #8
Francine

Thank You Lew, this looks really interesting.
Old July 17, 2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Jimro

In the broader context of children's activities, both 4H http://www.4-hshootingsports.org/ some Boy Scout Troops and Jr. ROTC programs have competitive air rifle teams. I shot with some of them earlier this year at the Camp Perry Open and was humbled by the skill many of the juniors have. Recently "3 Position Air Rifle" has taken off as a "gateway sport" to give junior shooters the skills to transfer to smallbore or high power.

Other rifle clubs usually have a junior high power program, which some parents participate in as coaches (and sometimes also competitors in the adult class).

Jimro
Old July 17, 2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Miss Stana

Sounds like an interesting project. We started teaching our children about gun safety and shooting and hunting at an early age for several different reasons. Most of the families we know here in Nevada have had similar experiences. Let me know if I can be of any help.

AIC
Custom Rifles
Old July 18, 2013, 01:04 AM   #11
DaleA

Here's a couple of links to threads right here on TFL.

4H Shooters
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528979

Minnesota High School Trap Shooters
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...58#post5500258