The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2012, 11:23 AM   #26
Gitsum

A range/gun shop that I drive past for work picks up all brass left around and sells it on their shelves "sorted" by caliber. They are in 10lb boxes and are $10/ea. I get all of my brass from them and dont get upset when I dont get them all back from my range.
Old January 25, 2012, 02:04 PM   #27
FrankenMauser

Quote:
A range/gun shop that I drive past for work picks up all brass left around and sells it on their shelves "sorted" by caliber. They are in 10lb boxes and are $10/ea. I get all of my brass from them and dont get upset when I dont get them all back from my range.
If that's true, you need to buy everything they have, every time you see it.

$1 / lb is less than half of scrap value, let alone resale value.

(*Cartridge brass has been fairly stable, at $2.40 to $2.80 per lb, for the last 1.5-2 years. There is the occasional spike to $3+, but it hasn't really gone down.)
Old January 25, 2012, 02:18 PM   #28
Gitsum

As not to hi-kack the thread I will start another titled... "How much brass?"

Thanks Frank
Old February 12, 2012, 09:42 PM   #29
rdmallory

I purchased (10) 5 gallon buckets back when the big O took office for $45 a bucket and sorted it all out. Sold all the .380 brass out of it and paid for about half of it. Traded away and sold what I don't shot and purchased a few guns to shoot what I did not have (yea I know but after seeing a 5.7x28 I had to find out what shot these rounds).

The range no longer sell brass but I guess I am set for most of my normal (9mm, 357, 45acp,9mm) brass for the rest of my life.

Now I am out buying 577 and 577x45 and other weird brass.

Doug
Old February 12, 2012, 11:23 PM   #30
Mike38

The last time I bought once fired brass was .45acp from a county deputy friend of mine. He picked it up after a qualification day for the deputies. I got around 600 pieces and gave him $20 for it.

Normally, I pick up brass at an outdoor range I go to for free. I pick up my own, and for each one of mine, I grab three more that someone left.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:40 PM   #31
Steviewonder1

I worked part time at an Indoor range in the early 90's. When sweeping up the range (10 lanes) I got to keep all the brass I wanted. That added up to more than 10 5 gallon buckets over the period of 3 years. Over time I sorted, cleaned and bagged it in gallon ziplock bags and labeled it. I have more brass than I will ever shoot. The only supplements have been 40S&W as I never got any of it at the range. I have bought several K of once fired 40 in the last 10 years and now have a nice stock of it since I shoot it most. Being a RO at matches, both state and regional, I have been lucky to have been given a few K of new brass which is still in the boxes it arrived in. I am down to shooting around 10,000 rounds a year at age 64. My membership indoor range lets you have the option of picking up brass or donating it. I pick it up and they furnish the broom.