The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2009, 05:26 PM   #1
PTS1

31 inch Aoudad

Went out to my property north of Del Rio on the Devil's river this past Wednesday in hopes of seeing a big whitetail buck. I have had a trail cam at my new property I got 2 months ago and have seen nothing but aoudad come around. Well, no luck on whitetail that morning but I did spot a herd of aoudad about 700 yards off on the opposite side of a canyon at 7:00 a.m. Herd went down into canyon about 8:30. Waited till 11:30 for them to come up over the canyon with no luck so I decided to go slowly to edge of the canyon. As I approached I could here them below and took a seat. After about 30 minutes I started to see some ewes and kids comming up the side of the canyon. 30 minutes after that is when he came into view. He was about 150 yards away. I was in a sitting position and got a good steady hold on his shoulder with my 270wsm and shot right over his back (saw the dust of the canyon wall right behind him). He did not move and about 1 second later I was on him again and this time I got him. I hit him high (aiming at shoulder again) and broke his back. His hind legs went down but he fought to keep going with his front legs and pushed himself back and down the canyon wall. Took about a 40 foot straignt drop at one point and thought for sure his horns were broke. Luckily I had two friends who got off early from work that day before Thanksgiving and were able to come out and help me carry him on a make-shift strtcher out of the canyon. Took us about 2 hous to get him out. Measure 31 inches in legnth and 11.5 inches at the base. Need to go back to the range to see if my scope was knocked-off or if I just had big horn fever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sony 013.jpg (271.4 KB, 165 views)
Old November 30, 2009, 11:33 PM   #2
Countertop

Wow.

That is super impressive. Great hunt, great recovery. Fantastic trophy.

Where was this?
Old December 1, 2009, 06:37 AM   #3
VaFisher

Sweet, very nice aoudad. Wish we had them around here, I have never had the oportunity to see one of these but hope to one day.
Old December 1, 2009, 11:18 AM   #4
PTS1

This is about 25 miles north of Del Rio, Texas in an area known as Rough Canyon on the Devil's River that feeds into Lake Amistad. Not exactly sure how they got there but they are free roaming and in Texas they are considered exotic so they have no closed season or bag limits.
Old December 1, 2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Scorch

Very nice animal!

I just read an article in an old American Hunter (NRA monthy magazine) about a 300 lbs aoudad take in that area. Got me to thinking . . . Doh!!! now you've done it!
Old December 1, 2009, 06:42 PM   #6
2rugers

That is a really fine Auodad and sounds like you had a great time.
Old December 1, 2009, 10:47 PM   #7
Countertop

How far north do they range in Texas??

I have to take a trip up to the panhandle at some point this winter - Amarillo area. WOuld love to go hunt one of those.
Old December 2, 2009, 09:12 AM   #8
Flapjack23

Nice animal. Wish I had some variety here in MI.

Quote:
Need to go back to the range to see if my scope was knocked-off or if I just had big horn fever.
Assuming you were shooting downhill into the canyon, your scope could be right on. The following could be what caused your high shots:

If you were shooting up hill or down hill your shot will be high. Without complicating an explanation, gravity pulls straight down, if you were shooting downhill, you would need to aim for the horizontal distance between the animal and yourself. Actual bullet flight distance doesn't matter much (just a little more wind resistance).

EX. You shoot an animal that you used a rangefinder to determine was 200 yards away. You shoot at 50 degrees downangle. While the animal is actually 200 yards away, you need to aim as if the animal is 145 yards away. I made up the numbers to illustrate the point, I didn't have time to do the math.

Andy
Old December 2, 2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Rottweiler

I had one step in front of my game camera in Kerr county last year. So at least as far north as Kerr county
Old December 2, 2009, 09:32 AM   #10
PTS1

Countertop: It is my understanding they can be found in the Palo Dura area of the pan handle. They were actually introduced to that area by Texas fish and wildlife and they issue permits (limited of cousrse) to hunt them in the state park there. However, aoudads have moved out of the state park area and can be found on private land in the area. There are some 20-30 thousand acre ranches in the mountains of west Texas that specialize in aoudad hunts, but be prepared to spend 3-4 thousand for a 3 day guided hunt. Supposed to be some of the finest sheep hunting in America, espesially for the relatively low price.
Old December 2, 2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

There's a fair number of them running around south Brewster County. The state folks want to get rid of them on the Big Bend Ranch State Park, but the bureaucracy can't figure out a way to do it. One bunch apparently hangs out around the general vicinity of my house, watering in Terlingua Creek's pools and puddles. ("General vicinity" means a mile or six.)
Old December 2, 2009, 11:14 PM   #12
Countertop

Can you hunt these all times of the year??

I have some clients up on the panhandle, they control a lot of land and keep trying to get me to come out. Was suppose to head out there next week, and go Mule Deer hunting, but the Hope Change express is keeping me in DC.

We're looking at Late January, early Feb now.
Old December 3, 2009, 09:47 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

According to the TP&WD book, if it's not native to Texas, it's feral. Aoudads are feral. So, all year around, day or night. All that's required is a hunting license.