The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2009, 10:47 AM   #1
premed2009

Help with me reloads!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for opening my thread. I am brand new to reloading. I just started out when I found my Dad's old rusty RCBS Rockchucker in the garage and after a few hours of elbow grease, it works like new. I've gone out and bought everything I need, and I'm producing 9mm cartridges that fit the specs provided on Hodgdon's website:

Bullet:125 GR. LCN
Powder: Hodgdon Titegroup
Bullet diameter: .356"
COL: 1.125"
Starting Charge: 3.6
Max Charge: 4.0

I haven't gone off and fired my rounds yet because I'm afraid I'll blow my gun up. Every time that I load one of my lead bullets into the cartridge, it shaves a little bit of lead off the bullet (I weighed the shaved lead one time and it came out to be about .4 gr.). I'm using the rockchucker with Dillon dies. I'm using a cheap caliper but you really can't miss 1.125 inches on anything (1 and 1/8 an inch). I'm using the Lee volume measures to measure my powder.

How do I sound guys? I've heard that the littlest change in bullet weight can affect pressures and such, so I am a little uneasy about firing these rounds before I get the forum's opinion.

Thanks,
Andrew
"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing."
- Adolf Hitler
Old March 31, 2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Wayne_E

You may not be belling the case enough. The dillon dies do not include a expander die like the RCBS, LEE etc., because on dillon presses the powder die also expands the case. You should be belling the case just enough for the bullet to slide in without shaving any lead.
Old March 31, 2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

without looking at your reciepe... the "lighter" bullets should be fine... you need to either bell the case mouths more, or at least camfer the case mouth to keep from shaving lead...

BTW... I find it best to load 4-5 cartridges, & check the load for both pressure signs & accuracy, before I load a bunch up... ( what if you loaded up a couple 100 loads, & found out the bullet olgive or something were different, & the cases showed signs of excessive pressures ??? or you got horrible accuracy, or the gun wouldn't function )... always best to load a couple & test 1st...
Old March 31, 2009, 11:05 AM   #4
mkl

Assuming your powder charge is okay, a 0.4 grain difference in bullet weight will make no difference whatsoever. You're fine there.

But...

You should not shave lead to start with.

You need to bell your cases before you try to seat a lead bullet. Put a bell of about .005" on the case mouth, seat the bullet, and then remove the bell with your crimp die so that the case wall is straight again.

Also it would not hurt for you to chamfer the inside of the case mouth.

With a chamfer, you can seat jacketed bullets without belling. Lead bullets still need a bell in the case before they are seated.

Suggestion: Put a good scale on your "to get" list so you will be able to know the exact powder charge you are using.

Oops.. I re-read you post and see you are weighing your "shavings" so I assume you have a scale. Weigh your bullets, and you will probably find 1.0 to 1.5 grain variance among them, so you can infer that the 0.4 grain shaving will have no effect.

Last edited by mkl; March 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph
Old March 31, 2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Premed2009,

If your username means you are actually a premed student, you should have access to the school chem lab and could take your powder scoop and a film can of powder in and check the charge weights and variance you are throwing. One grain equals 0.0648 grams, very closely.

Since you have the Dillon dies with separate taper crimp die, the shaving will be lack of belling, as described. You can buy a Lyman Multi-expander die. It includes an insert for 9 mm and the profile of the crimp is the best one for straight alignment of the bullet, IMHO. I would recommend it over the Lee universal case expander die which uses a conical taper.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 31, 2009, 04:49 PM   #6
premed2009

Thanks guys! That helps a lot. I was under the assumption that my Dillon dies were supposed to bell the case mouth. I guess I made an ass out of you and me. I will definitely look at that Lyman multiexpander die. And that's actually a really good idea to use the chem labs scales, hadn't thought of that. all good suggestions.

one thing i was wondering about but forgot earlier: how does the length of the bullet inside the case factor into overall length (OAL)? If individual bullets are longer or shorter, wouldn't that affect the pressures? I'm guessing these are rookie questions sorry guys!

Thanks,
Andrew
"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing."
- Adolf Hitler
Old March 31, 2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Apache6

Your questions have been well-answered by those before me! Absolutely, bullet length affects pressures! Make sure you get a good set of calipers and measure your COAL.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:15 AM   #8
dmazur

Quote:
If individual bullets are longer or shorter, wouldn't that affect the pressures? I'm guessing these are rookie questions sorry guys!
It can be a pain, but you should try to find load data for the same bullet you are loading. If you just can't find it, most believe it is OK to use minimum load data for an identical weight and similar profile bullet, then work up from that point. Also has to be jacketed data if the bullet you are loading is jacketed, lead data for lead. (There is a big difference in friction between lead vs jacketed...)

Something to watch for is "setback", which is the bullet seating itself deeper than you did during reloading. This can happen from recoil or from repeated chambering. Properly sized brass generally resists setback, but it is something to be aware of.