The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2015, 07:26 PM   #1
baddarryl

Have I taken things too seriously?

I recently got rid of a Mossberg 535 that I had issues with. More than one actually. Never gave Mossberg the chance to fix it as I just let it go. I am now looking for a youth gun for my kids and there there are really only 2 choices as far as I am concerned: the 500 and the 870 as they are both plentiful and relatively cheap. After my experience I am really not even considering the 500 anymore. Is that fair?
Old January 18, 2015, 07:37 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Very nice Remington Wingmaster 870's can be found and they are light years ahead of the other brand you are considering.
Old January 18, 2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Bake

I think so...
Old January 18, 2015, 08:53 PM   #4
Blindstitch

Still both great guns. I don't know what your problem was or why you didn't let mossberg fix it but that's something you have to deal with. I don't have any problems with my mossbergs or remingtons. Everything has a chance for error.

So let your shoulder or whoever is going to shoot it decide which feels better.

I can't comment on Remingtons customer service but Mossberg has been great to me.
Old January 19, 2015, 02:34 AM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
* * * I don't have any problems with my mossbergs or remingtons. Everything has a chance for error. * * * * I can't comment on Remingtons customer service but Mossberg has been great to me.
If you have both, but can't comment on Remington's customer service, is that because you have never had to contact Remington about a problem? If so, what does that say about the quality of a Remington as compared to the company which's customer service you needed?
Old January 19, 2015, 03:48 AM   #6
Blindstitch

It doesn't say anything toward Remington.

I have gotten accessories for my mossberg 500's. One I bought used and the seller didn't include everything and the other I bought new but the recoil pad developed some cracks after 15 years. In both cases Mossberg sent me all the parts I needed for free without charging shipping.

For the Remingtons I haven't needed to call but what I hear if you bought any of their guns with recoil pads that melt into the floor over time they were offering free replacements. Go to your local sporting goods store and look for a remington that hasn't moved for a while and I bet it's trying to become part of the floor.
Old January 19, 2015, 05:37 AM   #7
Virginian

Mossberg and Remington have as good a customer service as there is going. I have sold and worked on guns. Their on the phone info is questionable, but that's pretty normal anywhere in this day and age.
Remington recoil pads are not known for melting. They do get hard over decades.
It's your money. You can take anytrhing as seriously as you want, or not.
Old January 19, 2015, 12:57 PM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
what I hear if you bought any of their guns with recoil pads that melt into the floor over time they were offering free replacements. Go to your local sporting goods store and look for a remington that hasn't moved for a while and I bet it's trying to become part of the floor.
Some say not to believe everything you hear. This one sounds as believable as the bad witch melting into a puddle on the floor in the "The Wizard of Oz". Still, I have heard and believe, even though I have never used it nor that of Remington, that Mossberg's customer service is great. I did replace the new pad on my 870, but not because it was melting. I just wanted a better pad and got a Remington SuperCell for $20.
Old January 19, 2015, 01:03 PM   #9
Doyle

Quote:
Remington recoil pads are not known for melting
Not totally true. If you use a little Googlefu you'll see that they had a huge problem with melting recoil pads - mainly the R3 pad.
Old January 19, 2015, 01:52 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Just out of curiosity when you "let it go" did you happen to inform the new owner that the gun had "issues"?
Old January 19, 2015, 02:41 PM   #11
baddarryl

Yes I did and took a financial hit on it because.
Old January 19, 2015, 02:44 PM   #12
Blindstitch

Quote:
This one sounds as believable as the bad witch melting into a puddle on the floor in the "The Wizard of Oz".
The thing is a $20 recoil pad melting isn't going to make you say that the whole firearm is junk. If so that's a pretty petty thinking.

In the end if you have two quality firearms to choose from let your body decide which you like better and then go use it. I have almost 25 years of use with various Mossberg 500's and when it was time for me to buy my own firearms the choice ended up between the 500 and 870 and the 500 won due to little features like the tang safety.

I'm sure if I bought the 870 I would still have it and things would be fine.

In the end this 500 vs 870 is a stupid fight over two guns that slightly differ in comfort and price but both are quality that will take a beating and that's all that matters.
Old January 19, 2015, 02:45 PM   #13
Blindstitch

Quote:
Yes I did and took a financial hit on it because.
What was wrong with it?
Old January 19, 2015, 02:53 PM   #14
baddarryl

First issue was the mag spring was kinked around the plug from the factory. Fixed that myself. Second was it was very susceptible to short stroke and wouldn't load the rounds from the mag to the carrier. Almost like it need a break in. I stumbled on a BPS that I really wanted so just called it quits. Part of me is sick of cheap guns.
Old January 19, 2015, 03:14 PM   #15
Dreaming100Straight

I am not saying that the Mossberg 500 is a bad gun, but it certainly isn't a "quality gun" nor, for that matter, is the 870 Express, though I believe to be the better of the two. Both are decent guns, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the Mossberg has a few more problems than the Remington; usually with their actions, while the Express has just experienced frequent issues with rough chambers and a substandard finish. The first problem is easily corrected with steel wool and a drill and the second has supposedly been remedied. For example, baddarryl's short stroke suscepitibility.
Old January 19, 2015, 07:15 PM   #16
Kreyzhorse

Fair? No, I don't think so but its your money and time. I think Mossberg is a decent gun but I've never had a single issue with mine.

If you go Reminton and have any issues, I'd at least let them, or Mossberg try to fix it before I lose my arse on it again though.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:47 PM   #17
baddarryl

So I picked up this today. Took my son to feel a Mossberg 500 youth, a 510 youth and this 870 youth. He liked this one and must say if feels like a better quality gun to me. Used, but looks new. The kids are stoked!

Old January 19, 2015, 10:50 PM   #18
Blindstitch

Looks like a good decision. Then at a way later date you can add the adult rear stock when needed.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:39 PM   #19
baddarryl

That is what I am thinking Blindstitch. This thing is also going to double as my home defense long gun.
Old January 20, 2015, 12:54 PM   #20
g.willikers

Quote:
it was very susceptible to short stroke
Sounds like driver error.
Old January 20, 2015, 01:25 PM   #21
baddarryl

g. willikers- one would think so and so did I, but at times I would have to actually jam the slide down to get the shell holder to move out of the way. Sometimes it wouldn't at all. It wasn't the sometimes reported clearance issue, but in fact the failure of movement on that last 3/16 inch of stroke no matter how hard I tried. I could reach in and push the holder by hand and then it would move properly. Odd to me.
Old January 20, 2015, 01:36 PM   #22
Doyle

Baddaryl, sometimes what you are reporting can happen if you don't have the barrel shoved down hard when you reassemble it.
Old January 20, 2015, 06:58 PM   #23
baddarryl

Thanks for the tip. I shall keep that in mind!