The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2013, 12:14 PM   #1
browninghunter86

AR15 reloading

I have a DPMS 5.56/223 AR115 with 1-9" twist barrel. I am about to start precision reloading for it now I have my Geissele trigger installed.

Using the Hornady OAL tool and insert, I for the life of me can not get a bullet in the case neck when the bullet touches the lands. The base of bullet is out of the case neck because the silver rod in the tool is basically flush with the mouth. I tried this with 68 BTHP and 55gr Zmax bullets

Anyone find this same result on their AR15? Must have a damn long throat for some reason. Marked 5.56/223 on barrel

So I can pretty much do any OAL I want to including mag length and not have to worry about getting into the lands
Old December 10, 2013, 03:59 PM   #2
papershotshells

In my experience the chamber throat on a 5.56 rifle is looong. I just load to magazine length, but make sure I have at least .200" of the bullet still in the case neck.

When shooting for precision, you'll want to fine tune your o.a.l. to find the "sweet spot" for accuracy. For me, sometimes the sweet spot has been at max o.a.l., sometimes it's been at another o.a.l.. I only found out by shooting the rifle.

Papershotshells
Old December 10, 2013, 04:20 PM   #3
madmo44mag

I'm with papershotshells on this one.
I load to mag length and insure I have at least 0.200 of the bullet in the case mouth.

As stated you can fine tune the accuracy with the OAL
Old December 10, 2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

A Clymer 5.56 chamber has a 0.050" freebore. JGS and PTG 5.56 reamers have 0.0566" freebores. A SAAMI .223 Rem chamber has just a 0.025" freebore, which is what Clymer .223 and .223 Match, and the Compass Lake 5.56 match reamer design made by JGS all use. The 5.56 NATO (not match) freebore length is greater to accommodate blunt shape military specialty loads that would not fit otherwise.

That said, many guns chambered for both 5.56 and .223 use a Wylde chamber which has an even longer 0.0619" freebore as made by JGS, and I suspect that may be what you have from the barrel stamping. Another possibility would be the PTG .223 Match reamer which has the longest freebore of all at 0.0680". I suspect those long freebore reamers are intended for fast twist barrels (7" to 8") that need to accommodate 80 and 90 grain MatchKings seated long for slow fire single loading. These bullets eat up a lot of powder space at more normal seating depths.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 10, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Jeff2131

I also load to fit mag.
Old December 10, 2013, 06:57 PM   #6
browninghunter86

yep I know to tune seating to shrink group size after I find my optimal load window. I was just going to start long and then work in the case to single load. BUT no worry since I can't get close to the lands right now even with 68BTHP

I guess I could call DPMS and maybe they could tell me the chamber specs?

Been reloading precision 1000 yd loads in my bolt gun for a while now and now going to the AR to try to get all the accuracy I can out of the barrel