The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 11:42 AM   #1
'88Scrat

Python Price?

I saw a Colt Python 6" barrel with nickel finish for $3,300 that was in pristine condition at a local show yesterday. I love Pythons and hope to own one some day but even for one in nearly mint condition this seemed expensive.

Am I wrong?

I should have taken a picture of it...
Old December 30, 2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Pahoo

It is what it is !!!

Quote:
Am I wrong?
By my measure, you are not wrong. However, the dealer knows what he has, has really jacked up the price and wants you to negociate. He knows he won't get this much for it but does intend to do well. Regardless, It's his gun and he can price it anyway he wants ......

Be Safe !!!
Old December 30, 2012, 12:15 PM   #3
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I recently sold a 1968 2 1/2" snub nose Python for $1400 with no box or papers. The gun was scored as a 98-99% gun. It was. Royal Blue finished Python. It had been shot less than 20 times, honestly. I thought I had done great to sell it at that price.... Most offer $600-800... It was customized at Colt and had an even lighter trigger than stock... To be honest, it just wasn't worth me keeping, I only shot it a handful of times.
..." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by CharlieDeltaJuliet; December 30, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old December 30, 2012, 12:55 PM   #4
jasmith85

The last gunshow I went to had a couple of nickel Pythons both with box for $1400 each. They both showed some wear though.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:21 PM   #5
CajunBass

When I see a price that high, I figure the seller really wants to just show it off, more than to really sell it. If I had a pristine one, with the box and papers, I might do the same thing just to see people "ooohhh and ahhhhhh" over it.

MY LGS has a very NICE 4" Nickel Python, with a fairly beat up box in the cabinet (or they did a few days ago) tagged at $2000.00. I don't know if it had been fired, or had the papers in the box, but that gun looked good.

On the other hand, I bought from the same dealer, a maybe 85-90% 1964, 4"er in blue for $800.00 back in October, so prices are all over, and condition is everything.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 30, 2012, 04:35 PM   #6
'88Scrat

Just out of curiosity what about a King Cobra? My local pawn shop has had one sitting on the shelf for months now. Its not mint, I would guess it in FAIR condition; some cylinder wear and small scratches on the blued finish. It could also use a replacement grip.