The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 12, 2010, 08:24 PM   #1
crghss

Skinning knife for Hogs.

Any suggestions for a good knife I can use to skin hogs? Also, anyone use tools like a cordless Sawzall to cut up pigs?

First pig hunt coming up and need to prepare. I've cut up deer before no problem. But I've been told that pigs are a lot tougher to skin and clean up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old August 12, 2010, 08:29 PM   #2
mitchell koster

I have a Winchester 01789 knife its grat size, sits in hand really well. Holds its edge REALLY well. Great for skinning, boning and other general uses, it has a gut hook which is handy too.

http://www.pacificrimdistributors.co...ter_knives.htm
Old August 12, 2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Doyle

I use 2 different utensils for skinning a hog. To cut through the skin, I use a utility knife with a roofing hook blade. One hog - one side of the blade. Turn it around and use the other side for another hog, then throw that blade away. For separating the skin from the meat, I use one of several small bladed knives that I have. None are more than about 3 1/2" long. Short blades work best for skinning.

I switch to a longer bladed knife for the actual butchering.
Old August 12, 2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Michael

Gerber has a new model folder on the market that uses box cutter blades.
Comes with 12 extras and has a nice, fat rubber grip that you can hold very well when things get messy.
Old August 12, 2010, 11:45 PM   #5
TheGoldenState

Doyle,

Never been hunting (other than birds, reptiles coyotes in the desert) so excuse the dumb question.

Why do you not use the same blade on two hogs? and why do you toss when done?
Old August 13, 2010, 12:03 AM   #6
hoghunting

Quote:
Why do you not use the same blade on two hogs? and why do you toss when done?
The blade is usually getting dull by the time one hog is finished, so he uses the unused side for the next hog. The blades he is using are disposable.

I use a Cold Steel Master Hunter for cleaning and skinning. With the hog hanging by its back legs, I start skinning the back legs until I have enough loose skin to grab with my hands. Then I start pulling. Have to cut a little around the front legs, but I pull the majority of the skin.
Old August 13, 2010, 12:19 AM   #7
TheGoldenState

Quote:
The blade is usually getting dull by the time one hog is finished, so he uses the unused side for the next hog. The blades he is using are disposable.
ahh gotchya, thanks.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:06 AM   #8
Doyle

Yep Hoghunting got it right. I figure why mess up a good knife that I have to constantly keep sharpening when I'm cutting through the tough skin when I can simply use a disposable blade.

For the actual skinning, I picked up something new (to me) this year. My hunting partner and I were talking about different knives and he was lamenting about the best knife he had ever used, he had lost years ago. I found out that it was a Schrade Sharp Finger. So, I went on Ebay and bought 4 of them and gave him one. He was extatic. I'm looking forward to trying mine out this year.
Old August 13, 2010, 02:59 PM   #9
UniversalFrost

buck 120 (old school made in USA one, not the junk they are selling now)for butchering

and a

camilus skinner for, well skinning (mine doesn't have the buckmasters logo)

carry a small stone or hand held sharpener to touch up the blade when needed.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 15, 2010, 12:40 PM   #10
Slamfire

What about a Grohmann standard skinner? I have one, it is small and really curved, and really sharp. Would make a great skinning knife.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r101s.html
Old August 15, 2010, 07:46 PM   #11
Doyle

Most people who are inexperienced at cleaning game think that bigger is better when it comes to knives. Nothing could be further from the truth. The best skinning knives have blades that are no more than about 3 1/2". Some of the best skinning blades are only about 2" long. When skinning, you want the blade to be an extension of your finger.

Then, when it comes to actually butchering the meat, switch to a longer bladed knife.
Old August 22, 2010, 08:41 AM   #12
crghss

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the disposable blade route. Makes the most sense. Along with a good 3" pointed blade. Just not sure who uses quality steel anymore. Even Buck has that China crap.

I was spoiled in PA. My dad had all the tools. Cutting board, knives, sharpeners and all. Up north I could let game hang, now in Florida I have to get it cut up and on ice quick.

Thanks again.
Old August 22, 2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Logs

My Cutco with DD edge is the best knife I have ever used. I have skinned whitetail, mule deer and elk. Would think it would work on hogs. They are about $60 get the rubber handle one.
Old August 22, 2010, 05:38 PM   #14
hooligan1

REMEMBER THIS: BUCK 110!! this coming from a man who's dad collected Case knifes all his life. The only knife I like better is a Tested Razor Edge, with stag handles my dad had, he helped me work up a large doe I hit with my 70 340 sixpack Duster!! it would still shave you after we completely cut this deer up! I know my older blades, as I have plenty of them. The Buck 110 is a simple blade, easy to sharpen to scalpal sharpness, not to expensive.. But hey dig this, this deer season 12NOV2010, I will use my Great Grandfathers Case 2 bladed folding hunter, Redbone!!!! Its super sharp

I like that roofing blade use with the hook for cutting skin, +1 good idea!!
Old August 22, 2010, 09:07 PM   #15
thallub

Quote:
Most people who are inexperienced at cleaning game think that bigger is better when it comes to knives. Nothing could be further from the truth. The best skinning knives have blades that are no more than about 3 1/2". Some of the best skinning blades are only about 2" long. When skinning, you want the blade to be an extension of your finger.
+1

My favorite skinners all have blades less than 3" long with rounded thin points. Skin the hog soon after it is killed and most of the skin can be pulled off. Skinning is much harder after the hog gets cold.