The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
gdeal

Lee Turret Press with Built in Primer Catch

I have a Lee Turret Press but it didn't come with a tube to put under the press to collect the spent primers. It supposedly has a built in primer catch. I don't even know what that is or what it looks like or how it works based on looking at the thing. Is there anyone that can explain this to me?
Old October 18, 2009, 08:35 PM   #2
snuffy

What you have is the older deluxe turret, or as midway calls it 4 hole TP with auto index. Like this?

What you seek is the new classic turret with the through the ram primer disposal. And yes, it does work really well. No more primers falling all over your bench and floor!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 18, 2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I don't have one, but I believe that, like the Challenger press, the regular Lee turret press's spent primers fall into a curved slot cut into the ram that guides them into a space molded into the frame. The Challenger needs an aluminum plate that screws on to complete the space, and you unscrew the plate to empty the captured primers. I think maybe the turret just has a cup molded into the frame. I'm not sure how you're supposed to empty that without unbolting the press from the bench unless you have a shop vac? As Snuffy indicated, the primers often come out of that curved slot fast enough to overshoot the cup. With a little fooling around, you can cut a cigar box or a plastic container to fit up against the side of the press to catch most of the runaways. The Classic series has a better system.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 18, 2009, 11:12 PM   #4
gdeal

Quote:
through the ram primer disposal
snuffy, I have the bottom picture one. Now how does this work again? There is suppose to be some plate that I screw on on the bottom of the press? And I take the plate off to empty the primers? Sorry but I still don't understand.

Last edited by gdeal; October 18, 2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 18, 2009, 11:27 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

gdeal,

If you have the bottom pictured press that is the Classic and all you need is a clear plastic tube with a cap on it. On the bottom of the ram is a nipple for the plastic tube to fit over. Primers fall through the ram and into the tube. A cap on the end of the tube captures them.

When the tube is full, just pull it off the nipple and dump, then push back on to the ram again. The tube that comes with the press is a clear semi-stiff plastic (smells like an acrylic or something), fairly thick walled. But you should be able to use almost any tubing that fits snugly over the nipple and is transparent or translucent.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 18, 2009, 11:36 PM   #6
gdeal

yeah my press didn't come with that tube. I emailed lee factory sales and they said

"The press in the 90928 kit is not a classic cast"

that's really weird. when I go to midway.com they said that my kind has the built in primer catch. So I am really confused. no tube and no know how.

Last edited by gdeal; October 18, 2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: .
Old October 18, 2009, 11:45 PM   #7
snuffy

Quote:
that's really weird. when I go to midway.com they said that my kind has the built in primer catch. So I am really confused. no tube and no know how.
Well it does. The two cavities on either side of the ram are supposed to "catch" the primers after they're kicked loose from the pocket. Problem is; the primers seldom make it to the slots/cavities molded into the base.

You're just gonna have to live with the design, or buy the classic turret.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 18, 2009, 11:49 PM   #8
gdeal

Quote:
You're just gonna have to live with the design
No problem... But what do I need to do?
Old October 19, 2009, 12:10 AM   #9
snuffy

The 90928 is listed on lee's website as " lee deluxe 4 hole turret press kit with auto index" It is the top or first one I have pictured in my post. It's also the one that I just alluded to with the two molded in cavities on either side of the ram. Your ram is not drilled clear through to the bottom.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...sicTurretPress

It's the third press pictured in the link, is that yours? It is NOT the classic turret, that has the through the ram primer disposal system.

Old October 19, 2009, 12:21 AM   #10
gdeal

Oops Sorry My Bad. I have the top picture one. Can we start all over now? Ah... Er.. Um... what am I supposed to do?

Last edited by gdeal; October 19, 2009 at 01:34 AM. Reason: .
Old October 19, 2009, 02:43 AM   #11
snuffy

See post #7, you're gonna have to live with the design. Or buy a classic turret.

Old October 19, 2009, 07:06 AM   #12
Leeman

gdeal

The spent primers travel through the ram slot, then bounce off the primer arm into the built in primer catcher cavities on either side of the ram. It is important to have the primer arm in place. It takes a very long time to fill the base with spent primers.
Old October 19, 2009, 07:25 AM   #13
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman
It is important to have the primer arm in place.
The same is true for the Classic Turret. Without the primer arm many will bounce out through the slot.

I have my Lee Challenger bolted to a board that I clamp to my workbench with a couple of big C-clamps when I use it. It's no trouble to turn it upside down over a trash can when it is time to empty the primers that are actually caught (most of them). Maybe you can do something similar with your Deluxe Turret.
Old October 19, 2009, 01:02 PM   #14
gdeal

so I have to unbolt this from my bench from time to time to empy it out? and the bench itself serves as the bottom (floor) of the catcher?
Old October 19, 2009, 01:12 PM   #15
CrustyFN

Quote:
so I have to unbolt this from my bench from time to time to empy it out? and the bench itself serves as the bottom (floor) of the catcher?
Yes, the spent primers that go where they are supposd to will end up in the base of the press the rest will end up on the bench and floor. I have heard of people cutting a hole in the bench and mounting the press over the hole so the primers can fall through the hole. Then they mount a can under the hole to catch the primers. The clasic turret is a much better design.
Old October 19, 2009, 01:16 PM   #16
gdeal

Quote:
The clasic turret is a much better design.
And that one is the one that uses the clear tube with cap on the end?
Old October 19, 2009, 01:18 PM   #17
gdeal

Quote:
It's no trouble to turn it upside down over a trash can when it is time to empty the primers
So how am I suppose to know when that is? Trial and error?
Old October 19, 2009, 01:36 PM   #18
CrustyFN

Quote:
And that one is the one that uses the clear tube with cap on the end?
Yes. It also has some other improved features like being taller so it can load larger caliber rifle ammo, larger diameter ram, steel linkage and better leverage. This isn't the best picture but you should be able to see the tube plugged onto the bottom of the ram.

Old October 19, 2009, 01:38 PM   #19
gdeal

Quote:
This isn't the best picture but you should be able to see the tube plugged onto the bottom of the ram.
Actually this is an awesome picture because this is the first one I've ever seen like this. Thank you. Slowly but surely I'm learing about this stuff.
Man how did I know that the press I was getting was going to be so complicated. Well maybe not that complicated but just all new to me.

Last edited by gdeal; October 19, 2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: .
Old October 19, 2009, 08:01 PM   #20
Sport45

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's no trouble to turn it upside down over a trash can when it is time to empty the primers
So how am I suppose to know when that is? Trial and error?
I've never had the press clamped to the bench long enough to overflow the spent primer bin. I suppose you could just look and dump it when it's about full. It's not like it's a hidden chamber or anything.