The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 30, 2013, 08:25 PM   #1
kln4

Mounting a scope question

I'm remounting a Hawke sidewinder 30 tactical scope on my m1a using a SADAK industries M1a mount. It also uses the mildot recticle and needs to be level.
The way I did it was attach the 9" harris bipod then raise the butt until the scope and rifle were level. I used a standard bubble level on top of the elevation cap which gave me both horizontal and vertical leveling. After I got them pretty close I attached a flip-up horizontal level to the scope. The recticle looked pretty level....
I waited until well after dark and took the rifle out on the back porch and chambered the .308 bore red laser and sighted on a stop sign 140yds from the rifle. The laser was 2" lower from the center of the recticle. I figure I can take it to the range and zero the scope. (The red laser isn't perfect and I didn't want to remove the muzzle brake to insert muzzle laser)

I'm just wondering if the procedure I followed is the correct way remount the scope. I haven't applied locktite to the scope rings yet and wanted to check rifle before I make it permanent.
Old October 1, 2013, 07:07 AM   #2
fineredmist

Your procedure was correct but leveling the crosshairs and "0" the scope are 2 separate operations; if you are 2" off according to the lazer you are very close.
Old October 1, 2013, 07:58 AM   #3
kln4

fineredmist;

You're right. I was more concerned with horizontal leveling because the recitcle came loose on the previous scope, they sent me a new scope. I mounted the horizontal flip level as a precaution as well as keeping Harris level from "canting" just enough to screw up a shot.