The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 21, 2012, 04:21 PM   #1
twhidd

Colt Pocketlite 380

I handled a little Colt Pocketlite today for the first time. Neat little piece, but I was curious as to the function of the safety. I realize the safety doesn't lock the slide, and also that the safety can be engaged with the hammer cocked or with it down. What I'm curious about if when the safety is engaged with the hammer down and you manually cock the hammer, the safety drops. Is this normal operation? I did a little Googling and could not find anything to indicate as such.
Old April 22, 2012, 04:20 AM   #2
twhidd

So, no Pocketlite owners here?
Old April 22, 2012, 06:21 AM   #3
icedog88

I haven't noticed that with mine. I'll check when I get back to the house.
Old April 22, 2012, 06:37 AM   #4
kcub

I carried one for years and never used the safety, but then, I'm a lefty.
I used condition 2, hammer down on a live round and practiced cocking the hammer upon drawing.

You won't find a more pleasant recoiling .380, no more than a .22.
Old April 22, 2012, 06:59 AM   #5
10Ringmagic

I had a Mustang Pocketlite for a number of years, never could get "comfortable" with a cocked and locked pistol in my pocket.

No I never got used to lowering the hammer on a live round either, seemed like an unsafe practice to me, not to mention the fact that thumb cocking the weapon during the draw would be a bit dicey if one was all geeked up and the adrenaline was flowing under a life and death situation.

There in is the reason I sold mine, and went with a S&W J frame snubby (638).
Old April 22, 2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Billy Shears

Quote:
when the safety is engaged with the hammer down and you manually cock the hammer, the safety drops. Is this normal operation?
No. You should not be able to manually cock the hammer when the safety is engaged.
Old April 23, 2012, 05:11 AM   #7
twhidd

So the safety should, in fact, lock the slide when it's enganged. I was thinking something was wrong with this little piece, because that just didn't seem to act right.

Someone brought the gun into our store for trade and we took it. I guess we need to think about having it fixed before we try to sell it.
Old April 23, 2012, 05:19 AM   #8
icedog88

My new Colt doesn't allow for that either.
Old May 18, 2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Ron7624

Colt Pocketlite 380

I've carried a Mustang for since 06. To directly address your question, you cannot cock the hammer with the safety on. You can rack the slide however with the safety on or off, so you can safely unload the pistol for cleaning, etc.
I also have a newly acquired Sig P238. It functions exactly the same way.
I do love my Colt, but the Siglight sights on the Sig are fabulous, especially in the dark.
The Mustang pocket lite is much smoother and slimmer and feels better to pocket carry.
I'm keeping em both