The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 22, 2011, 10:57 AM   #1
blincoln

Conceal Carry + Beretta 92FS = Feesable?

Hello Everyone,

I just recently purchased a Beretta 92FS, my first purchase. I chose this weapon as my first due to my familiarity/comfort with it.

My wife has (suprisingly) purchased for me a concealed weapons course which I will be taking in the next couple of weeks.

My question is do you have any expierence effectively concealing a "full-size" weapon such as the 92FS? If so, what product are you using? I am a relatively large person (6'3, 290lbs) so there is potential for it I think, but dont want to waste time on products that are either uncomfortable or ineffective.

I will eventually go down the road of acquiring a compact pistol (the P239 was attractive) for CC, but given the ammount of money this purchase put me back (with accesories, etc.) it wont be for a while. SO, any recommendations on frugal, comfortable and effective concealment holsters would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 22, 2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Leejack

It can be done.

Congrats on your purchase.
Old July 22, 2011, 11:44 AM   #3
zombieslayer

You can. But it would be much less than ideal.
Old July 22, 2011, 11:50 AM   #4
AustinTX

Congrats on your purchase! You bought an outstanding pistol.

I love the 92, but I would never try to carry it. Depending on your attire and proportions, however, it can work. There are a few here (talk to ShipWreck) that carry the 92 every day without a problem.

Take a look at a Walther PPS when the time comes to buy that smaller gun. The P239 is still quite bulky and heavy for a single-stack CCW.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:02 PM   #5
steelbird

If you're looking for something more compact, and you're comfortable with. .380, you might also consider the Beretta 84 or 85 - they're like small versions of the 92 series.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Leejack

Quote:
There are a few here (talk to ShipWreck) that carry the 92 every day without a problem.
Austin, you beat me to that one. I think he carries 3 or 4 of them!
Old July 22, 2011, 12:11 PM   #7
cbuck

im not sure how the size compares to a 1911 but there are some guys on here as well as myself who carry the full sized ones everyday, im sure it can be done its just up to finding the right holster and position to wear it that conceals it the best while still being able to be drawn your weapon affectively
Old July 22, 2011, 12:26 PM   #8
ragwd

Congrats on the fine pistol purchase! I love mine, well actually its a m9, same thing. IMHO, I think its to big and too heavy to conceal comfortably but I'm betting there are quite a few here that do conceal carry the 92.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:41 PM   #9
irish52084

YOu're a big guy and a full size carry pistol is doable. I'm smaller than you and I carry a full size CZ about 50% of the time. It all boils down to a good belt and holster combo and most importantly the mindset that you will carry it as close to 100% of the time as legally possible. I heard a quote one time and I don't remember who said it, but it was to the effect of "comforting, not comfortable" in reference to carrying 100% of the time.

If you carry, go ahead and carry at least 1 spare mag. It's easy to do and it could be a life saver one day. Lots of advantages to having an extra mag.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:53 PM   #10
ShipWreck

Yes, I do it daily. I use a comptac holster. I just replied back to your PM.

I am 6'1" and 185 lbs. I've been doing it for about 20 months now - even in the summer...

This is a pic of my fullsize 92FS:

And I can use the same holster for my 92 compact as well - mucho kewl...

The fullsize 92Fs is my fav to shoot and hold, though. It is so nice to finally have a carry gun that I practice with all the time (a fullsize gun). Instead, I prev used to carry small guns that I never cared to shoot on the range...
Old July 22, 2011, 12:54 PM   #11
Falcon642

I have a Beretta 96, which is the same size and weight as your 92, and I've carried it concealed a few times. Oh I'm 6'1 205.

When I carry my Beretta its inside the waistband at the 3 o'clock position. Depending on the shirt I"m wearing, sometimes I have to shift her to the 2 or 4 o'clock position so that it isn't COMPLETELY obvious that I am carrying.

If I will be standing or walking alot, carrying my Beretta isn't bad. But if I have to do alot of sitting, carrying my Beretta is out of the question. Everytime I sit down, my Beretta is long enough that the barrel digs into my thigh. No thanks.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:58 PM   #12
pstrlipscomb

I carried a 96 Brigadier daily in an Uncle Mike's IWB holster for several years near my right kidney. This holster is inexpensive and has lasted for nine years. I now carry a 5" 1911 in it. It allows the gun to find its own comfortable spot while in the car and can be easily moved or adjusted on the fly. With a gun that size there is not much worry of it falling out since a frame the size of ours lays pretty well on the grip. A great advantage to this holster is that the pistol rides very low and places the grip near the belt making it print less and conceal more easily. It does slow down the draw time a little.

I also found a belt-slide holster which pulled the grip close and positioned the pistol high to be a great rig under a long, loose outer garment. A friend of mine carries the same gun that way as well.

With guns this size I have noticed that a spare magazine on the opposite side can be carried in a kydex carrier and does wonders to balance the gun's weight. I carry it near my left kidney without feeling or looking any wider.

Added benefit... Noone will ever deliver an effective kidney punch to me unless my gun is drawn... then, of course, I will not let them get that close!
Old July 22, 2011, 02:03 PM   #13
TunnelRat

If I at 5'9" and 180 lbs can conceal carry a 4" S&w Model 19 then you can conceal carry a Beretta. It all comes down to choice of clothing, belt, and holster.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 22, 2011, 10:12 PM   #14
The Real Wyatt

I'm 6'1, 210 lbs. and 71 years old. I carry a full sized 1911 all day every day.
Your Beretta will make a dandy CCW, just find a holster you're comfortable with.
Old July 22, 2011, 10:42 PM   #15
Marquezj16

92FS Compact

It's a little smaller than the full size, but I CCW it using a Bianchi Pancake holster that is made for a full size 92FS. I have to wear a bigger shirt but I manage not to print much. I've worn it on long drives, up to 6 hours and it did not bother me one bit. However due to its weight and my limited wardrobe of bigger shirts, I switch back and forth between it and a PK380.

BTW, I'm 5'5" and 160 lbs.
Old July 22, 2011, 11:02 PM   #16
Wag

I carry mine in a belly band daily. No serious issues.

--Wag--
Old July 23, 2011, 12:09 AM   #17
Jim243

At your stature I would recommend a horizontal shoulder holster. Grip will sit at 10:00 o'clock just above the belt and weapon can be drawn sitting or standing. Get a decent one not one of the cheapies. I always wear a coat or light jacket, so it's a non issue.

Jim
Old July 23, 2011, 06:46 AM   #18
Kreyzhorse

You will have to dress around the gun but you can certainly pull it off. In the winter, I carry a full sized 1911 and occasionally a Glock 22. Both are pretty easy to carry but I do have to dress around them.

In the summer months where it's hot and humid, I resort to smaller guns like a S&W 637 or a Ruger LCP.

Holsters are a pretty subjective thing. There are lots of great holsters out there, I use Galco Fletch holsters for my full sized guns, but it is really a trial and error thing.

One last suggestion. If you do plan on carrying a full sized gun, you will need a good leather gun belt to support the weight of the gun. Do not cheap out on this belt. They are not inexpensive, but the belt is the base of your whole carry rig. In my opinion it is more important than your holster.

Lots of good belt makers out there but www.thebeltman.net is one of the very best.
Old July 23, 2011, 01:18 PM   #19
tenusdad

Great gun - too big for practacal ccw. I wind up leaving the big ones at home or in the car.
Old July 23, 2011, 01:24 PM   #20
chris in va

A good OWB holster that snugs up tight to your side and a cover garment is an effective way to conceal a FS pistol. I do this with my Glock 21 and CZ 75BD.
Old July 24, 2011, 08:27 AM   #21
icedog88

Bought a 92 two weeks ago and just to see if I could, I carried it for 5 days. 5'10" and weigh 189. Used my canvas web belt, with a Tagua iwb at 4 o'clock. Canted it slightly fwd by putting the holster clip thru my belt loop. No problems whatsoever!
Old July 24, 2011, 09:13 AM   #22
m&p45acp10+1

With your size it is quite thesable. Heck I am 6ft 1 in and 190 pounds. I conceal a full sized gun without problems in the proper clothing with a good belt, and holster. As long as you are not wearing all spandex you should be able to conceal it.

That said as freaking hot, and humid as it has been my Glock 26, and P64 are seeing a lot of cary time. 104 in the shade with humididty of 91%. Wearing more clotinhing is not very comfortable in this heat.
Old July 24, 2011, 10:37 AM   #23
dgludwig

One of my regular carry guns is a SIG 220. With a decent belt and untucked shirt, I carry it in an iwb holster comfortably well concealed. It goes in an outside, thumb-break holster if I'm wearing a jacket or a coat. Though the Beretta has a somewhat fatter grip (single-stack vs double-stack mag pistols), I'm sure I wouldn't have any problem carrying mine concealed.
Old July 24, 2011, 10:54 AM   #24
Spats McGee
Staff

Concealed carry of a full-sized semiauto is perfectly manageable, but you will need to take a look at your wardrobe to make it work well. I would suggest starting with a good gun belt and a proper holster. I don't own a Beltman belt, but he does come highly recommended. An Aker B21 would also work, and Tommy Theis makes a nice IWB: http://theisholsters.com/
Old July 24, 2011, 01:02 PM   #25
payoffwizard

With my frame, 5'9" 145lbs, I think I'd have a bit of trouble concealing that bad boy.

There's nothing wrong with using the Beretta for your class and picking up something else for EDC at a later date.

Tags
92fs , beretta , beretta 92fs , conceal carry , holster