The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 20, 2001, 07:09 PM   #1
aerod1

Has anyone ever had any dealings with a Smith Enterprises muzzlebreak for an AR-15. It is the one that comes with four set screws. Does it work out OK? Comments? Thanks
Jim
Old May 20, 2001, 11:26 PM   #2
Badger Arms

I've got the screw-on version for my AR-15 pre-ban. Works excellent. No experience with the set-screw version.
Old May 22, 2001, 09:42 AM   #3
Strayhorn

I only have the pre-ban brakes, so I can't give you any hard info on how well the set-screws work, but the brakes themselves are real winners. They really work.

Ron Smith is a former Marine who shoots competitively and fully supports the RKBA. Once I bought at a gun show a brake that was represented as a Smith, but turned out to be a fake (wrong pitch on the threads, and the finish was just paint).

I called Ron just to let him know that someone was counterfeiting his goods, and he offered to send me a genuine brake for the cost of shipping if I would send him the fake so he could see it. Not many men will stand behind their product, even when it's not actually their product.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old May 23, 2001, 08:29 PM   #4
aerod1

Thanks Guys,
It is nice to know they are a reputable company.
I'll keep you updated on how this one turns out.
Thanks,
Jim
Old May 28, 2001, 03:08 PM   #5
NVCDL

I recently added one of the set screw smith brakes to my postban rifle. My oly SUM barrel has a little ring at the muzzle to attach a setscrew brake. Be advised they make at least three different diameter brakes, one for colt, one for bushmaster and one for oly.

The brake seems to be pretty effective for its size.
Old May 28, 2001, 09:53 PM   #6
WalterGAII

I've installed four or five Smith post-ban compensators on Bushmaster Shorties.(Including my own) Mr. Smith suggested that I either centerdrill the barrel for the setscrews; file a small groove perpendicular to the bore axis for each setscrew, or use 640 Loctite on the interior of the brake and the exterior of the barrel. I file a small groove and use the 640 Loctite. So far, no problems, and the Smith comps work great.

One advantage of such a comp is that it protects the crown against dings.
Old May 29, 2001, 12:55 PM   #7
Master Blaster

where can I get one of these??

Thanks
Old May 29, 2001, 11:36 PM   #8
WalterGAII

Brownell's; Bushmaster; The .701" fits the HBAR Bushmasters.
Old May 31, 2001, 04:14 PM   #9
Beowulf

I've had a Smith break on my AR for a while now. Mine is the set screw type. I had the set screw's countersunk into my barrel and had them "permanently" set in place with locktite. So far no problem with anything comming loose. I like it very much. Somehow the end of an AR barrel looks nakid to me without a flash hider or muzzle break.

FWIW - When I got this break I tried to contact Smith Enterprise as to whether their break had been approved and or looked at by ATF and that they see it as a break and not a FH. I didn't want to find out that I had put a flash suppressor on my post ban gun at some later date. To this date I have not received any response to my request from Smith Ent. Obviously I ultimately decided just to risk it and have it installed anyway.

B.
Old May 31, 2001, 06:47 PM   #10
sleeping dog

Dumb question: Why a muzzle brake on an AR15? Aren't they just supposed to reduce recoil? Or do they work like compensators to keep the sights close to being on target? My AR15 seems to have almost no recoil.

Regards.