The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 9, 2012, 04:58 PM   #1
ccwnut

Opinions on the Taurus Model 650

I found one on CheaperThanDirt.com and would like some opinions on it. It's listed at $358.71, brand new in the box. I've always been preferential to smiautomatics but I've decided to get a snunose revolver as an altrenative. I prefer a .357 over a .38 so I can go with a wider range of ammo choices. So, how does everybody feel about Taurus revolvers (I really can't afford a S&W
of the same size and caliber). Should I go for it or save my money for
something else?
Old October 9, 2012, 06:23 PM   #2
lee n. field

Quote:
I prefer a .357 over a .38 so I can go with a wider range of ammo choices.
I thought that way too, and got a Taurus 605. (The 605 is the exposed hammer version of what you're looking at.) But since (I've owned it 4 years, I think), I haven't shot more than a couple cylinders worth of .357 through it. .357 through something that size, even a steel gun with good grips, is painful.

If you can see your way to getting a .38 instead of .357, you'll have a lot more options in that price range.

Quote:
It's listed at $358.71
It that price for blued or stainless? My recollection at the time was that stainless was on the order of $25 more than blue.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 9, 2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Budda

They have a lifetime warranty....that is good if you ever have a problem....I had a .17 I sent in and never got back....long story. But I have a model 85 that is blued and shoots great!! I love it!. .357 in a full steel is sharp recoil but not bad...I would buy it and shoot the snot out of it. shoot .38 forever out of it and never hurt your wrist or the gun. and shoot some .357 when you want to turn some heads at the range. It is a "can't loose" gun. If you want to buy one to look at go buy a Colt.....If you want to shoot it...Taurus.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:34 PM   #4
ccwnut

To Lee n. Feld:

The listed price was for a blued model. Do you have any info on its
ammunition preference, if any? Another reason I like this revolver is the small grips coupled with the concealed hammer make it great for pocket carry.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:43 PM   #5
badge851

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwnut
I found one on CheaperThanDirt.com and would like some opinions on it. It's listed at $358.71, brand new in the box. I've always been preferential to smiautomatics but I've decided to get a snunose revolver as an altrenative. I prefer a .357 over a .38 so I can go with a wider range of ammo choices. So, how does everybody feel about Taurus revolvers (I really can't afford a S&W
of the same size and caliber). Should I go for it or save my money for
something else?
I have eight Taurus® revolvers.
• Mdl 85B2CH 38 Special - 1994
• Mdl 669SS4CP 357 Magnum - 1996
• Mdl 85B2 38 Special - 1997
• Mdl 617SS2 357 Magnum - 2003
• Mdl 605SS3 357 Magnum - 2006
• Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special - 2007
• Mdl 605SS2 357 Magnum - 2010
• Mdl 425SS2 41 Remington® Magnum - 2012

All have performed superbly and I continue to shoot them all almost every week.

I have only encountered these problems.........
• Mdl 85B2CH broke a firing pin (part# 19) after 11,000+ rounds. I replaced the firing pin & it's still going strong.
• Mdl 85SS2UL had the cylinder stop (part# 44) wear down after 10,000 rounds. Called Taurus® and they shipped the part right away. Installed new cylinder stop and now the gun works fine.

I have zero complaints with Taurus® customer service. The one time I had to send a gun in they fixed and returned it when they said they would. Specifically.....................
• Mdl 617 developed excessive cylinder to forcing cone gap (.011") after almost 6,000 rounds. I sent it to Taurus® and they replaced the cylinder (part# eight and adjusted the yoke [part# 9]) I've since put 3,000+ rounds through it and it's still going strong.

Taurus® is the only gun manufacturer that warrants the firearm; and not the original purchaser. You could be the 50th owner of a used Taurus® (1977 or later), or Rossi® (1999 or later); and you have a lifetime warranty. No other firearm manufacturer offers this, NONE!

I will not hesitate to buy additional Taurus® revolvers. They are an outstanding value.
Here is a wealth of Taurus® information..........

Taurus Firearms Forum - TaurusArmed.net
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:23 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
The listed price was for a blued model. Do you have any info on its
ammunition preference, if any?
What I can tell you is that my 605 shoots dead to point of aim with 158 grain lead swc .38 Special loaded slightly into the +P range.

Quote:
Another reason I like this revolver is the small grips coupled with the concealed hammer make it great for pocket carry.
Mine usually has an even smaller set on it -- the Uncle Mike's boot grip.

A nifty thing about revolvers (vs. autoloaders) is that you can do this. If the grip of an autoloader doesn't fit you, you're usually SOL.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; October 10, 2012 at 05:55 PM.

Tags
ccw , s&w , snubbie .357's , taurus