The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 24, 2008, 02:05 AM   #26
Bones507

Quote:
Quote:
This definitely alters the weight and balance, let me tell you.

This is a serious topic, BUT, I love your sense of humor about the situation. Please let us know how this turns out
I got to agree.
Old January 24, 2008, 08:04 PM   #27
old_ironsights

Methinks Wilson & Co. screwed the pooch by even considering this particular weapon. Ya gotta wonder what they were thinkin'!

At $500.00+, it's a very expensive weapon for what you get...or don't get.
Old January 24, 2008, 08:49 PM   #28
wjg686

Thanks, everybody

I appreciate everyone's observations and support. After thinking about it for a few more days, I just don't see what Wilson Combat could say or do (short of redesigning the gun) that could allow me to trust it for carry. Call me crazy, but I think a defensive weapon ought to remain assembled in use.

I'll head up to the shop Saturday and ask for a refund or credit for the $600.00 I paid for what could have been a very nice gun.
Old January 26, 2008, 07:12 PM   #29
wjg686

No refunds -- gun WILL be fixed.

That's the word from the shop today, and I was given a card to call Greg at Wilson Combat's customer service. The shop guy tells me that WC was aware of the problem, that it was limited to a small run of the guns that had some part in the slide too short, and that the defect has been fixed.

He confirmed that WC is manufacturing the gun in Arkansas, not importing it, and that they are committed to it. I'll post an update after I call WC on Monday.
Old February 14, 2008, 11:41 PM   #30
wjg686

Gun's back, and broken already

I got a call from the shop yesterday -- the gun is back and fixed. I went up with 200 rounds of 9 mm to try to break it, but didn't get to shoot more than 50 before the original problem arose. The pins in the slide and the rear of the grip had worked out again. This was the original problem before the slide came off, and was communicated to the shop and to Greg Jimenez at Wilson Combat.

Wilson told the shop to give me a new one, but I just don't want it. The shop agreed to give me a store credit for the purchase price of the gun minus $50, though Wilson is taking the broken one back and sending them a new one. Kinda sucks, but it seems to be the best I can do -- $50 to shoot 200 rounds through a broken gun. Oh, well . . . maybe I can save someone else a similar trial.

I am the proud owner of a new S&W 686+ 6" barrel 7-shot revolver. Should make a fine Action Pistol and Speed Steel gun, and will probably remain assembled in use. If only it were blued . . .
Old February 15, 2008, 08:30 AM   #31
PSP

I'm sorry it ended up costing you, but I for one appreciate your thorough and objective posting of your trials and tribulations. This was a pistol that caught my eye. Thanks to you I will pass. So at least have the gratification that you helped, at a minimum, one person. Thanks. Wilson's reputation takes a serious hit in my eyes.
Old February 16, 2008, 10:10 AM   #32
imthegrumpyone

It's vary simple, man made * to many models * no quality control * almighty dollar * it's the same thing with everything you buy, now should I ask who's fault this might be ?, wouldn't be JQP would it ?
Old February 16, 2008, 10:57 AM   #33
HappyGunner

Wilson Combat is now just a name anymore.

Seems Bill Wilson's Company has just become one of the many just a name Company. I have read many posts from people who are very unhappy with their Wilson products.

IMHO all the high dollar custom firearm Mfg.s are just names who knows who is really doing this custom work. You shell out from $2500 to $6000 and you get a sweet looking product you find out it just that a sweet looking product and your having problems with it shooting.
Old February 16, 2008, 11:02 AM   #34
Jim Watson

Could have been worse. $50 was really a cheap lesson. And you did not sell your problem to another sucker, which I consider unethical but is often done.
Old February 16, 2008, 12:03 PM   #35
wjg686

Quote:
And you did not sell your problem to another sucker, which I consider unethical but is often done.
I agree. That's why it was imperative that the shop take the gun back. And I do think $50 is expensive, given that Wilson Combat is making the shop whole and it's in the form of store credit. I'm going up to play with the 686 this afternoon. I think my auto collection will stall at a beautifully blued Hi-Power and a bull-barrelled Buckmark.

Last edited by wjg686; February 16, 2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: description
Old February 16, 2008, 12:06 PM   #36
DrLaw

Maybe I missed it, but nobody seems to have asked the question how the slide grouped on target.

Bummer to have happen.

The Doc is out now.
Old February 16, 2008, 12:22 PM   #37
SouthpawShootr

I don't think it will be long before Wilson discontinues this one. Question is: can they exit fast enough to prevent this thing from damaging their reputation? I was thinking about one until a couple of things happened. First, I read either a story or release about Wilson considering this to be a carried often, shot little gun (reminiscent of S&W debacle in marketing the Sigma 380). Second, I read about this gun being a rebadge of a (much) cheaper gun that wasn't all that well regarded to start with. Seen a few used, which by itself is unusual as I've never come across a used Wilson 1911 in a gunshop.
Old February 16, 2008, 12:57 PM   #38
dawgfvr

Hmmm, who was it that said, "I am just as lethal with my Taurus PT145 as I am with my Wilson Combat"?

I never could understand why people pay $2000.00 for a side arm...perhaps the same people looking for the magic bullet caliber? There is no magic bullet...and all mechanical things fail.
Old February 16, 2008, 01:49 PM   #39
HappyGunner

Way ahead

IMHO you would be way ahead buying a Glock 9mm then a Wilson combat ADP. I wonder where they really come from I don't think Wilson really is their parts Mfg. I think if anything they just put assemble them the parts if they even do that.
Old February 16, 2008, 10:54 PM   #40
M14fan

Just one more reason I don't like plastic guns.
Old February 16, 2008, 11:09 PM   #41
BlitzPig

Plastic has nothing to do with it.
Old February 16, 2008, 11:33 PM   #42
Dave85

wjgramman,
Thank you for sharing your experience. Like PSP (if I can make make an assumption based on his handle), I am a fan of at least one type of gas-retarded blowback pistol. Also like PSP, I had looked curiously at the ADP. I hadn't heard much about the Heritage Stealth - it just sort of came and went. That did not immediately suggest to me that it was not a good design; many worthy products flounder for want of marketing resources, only to be resurrected by a better positioned company. just look at the HS2000/XD story. When Wilson put his name on it, I thought that might be an indicator that it had merit. Your story and the reports of others convince me that it does not.

It does stink that the shop is not crediting you with the whole value, as they are indeed being made whole. Especially since you are the one who ended up with a dangerously defective gun in his hand.
Old February 16, 2008, 11:58 PM   #43
WVfishguy

No one has brought this point up, which does not surprise me: If wjgramann had stuck with Bersa, this post would not exist.

I ran my hand over my Bersas trying to find those "sharp edges." Couldn't find 'em.

More money does not mean a better gun.

Bersa does not advertise, and, consequently, they are not expensive. That's why many people think they are of poor quality. Ridiculous logic.

I hope ya'll continue NOT liking Bersas. Keeps the price down for the rest of us.
Old February 16, 2008, 11:58 PM   #44
Chui

Wilson's top 'smiths left the company to form Nighthawk...

Why a $2k pistol? All quality materials and phenomenal craftmanship (assuming it's done at all correctly). Do they work better than stock $1,000 1911s? Yes, they do. $1,000 better? It depends. On your taste and financial commitments, of course. Are they "needed"? With $525 M&Ps around? Depends on you.
Old February 17, 2008, 10:50 AM   #45
wjg686

WVFishguy --

I liked the Bersa. It was very accurate, reliable, and pleasant to shoot. But the slide release and safety levers stuck in my butt or ribs, depending on where I carried it, and I always wished for a 9mm carry gun that was the same size. Along came the ADP, and the rest of the story is above. I am now carrying a 642, which I can shoot more accurately at 7 yards than the ADP, which doesn't care what I feed it, and which hides better and more comfortably.

I sold the Bersa to a friend who, now living alone, has decided she'd like to be able to protect herself. Great little gun!
Old February 17, 2008, 02:13 PM   #46
FM12

Well, no wilson guns for me, ever, period.

Thanks for the posts. Saved me some money.
Old February 17, 2008, 09:01 PM   #47
WVfishguy

Quote:
I ran my hand over my Bersas trying to find those "sharp edges." Couldn't find 'em.
I made a rude comment, and I apologize.

My full-size Bersa .40 grinds into my flabby "love-handles" when I carry it. The little .380 does OK in a pocket holster, but I still plan to get a Kahr in 9mm.

Not planning to get a Wilson, though.....
Old March 1, 2008, 10:37 AM   #48
Scorpion46

Wilson's .45s

Hi. Don't throw the baby out with ....

The best pistol I've ever fired in 30 years of shooting is my Wilson CQB .45. The fit, precision and accuracy is what I've looked for and now found. This weapon, the CQB, is worth the amount I paid. And the customer service has been superb as well.

I don't know much about the ADP...don't know if I'd buy one. But the other Wilsons....they're rock solid.

Respectfully,
Jack Cage
Old March 1, 2008, 12:05 PM   #49
RsqVet

Personally I think that Wilson makes a good 1911, no better though than a Brown, Nighthawk, Rock River or any number of 1911 semi-custom makers who often offer more value per dollar than a similar Wilson.

I have also been constantly UN-impressed with Wilson.... they sell MIM parts in their catalog... which seems like nothing more than trying to make as much money as possible while allowing lower end makers to claim they are puttign wilson parts in their guns ... then tried slipping them into their "lower end" Wilson combat 1911's, despite the fact that other makers in their price range are non-MIM.... Wilson got roasted on the boards awhile ago for this and changed back to non-MIM in their guns.

The ADP is just the latest attempt and money grabing... and confirms my belief that there is little Wilson Combat would not do for a dollar.

This combined with their overall I'm to tactical for my shirt marketing makes me stay away from the company.... not that if someone gave am a wilson 1911 I'd not shoot and enjoy it, but when it comes to my money I'll spend it elsewhere....
Old March 1, 2008, 04:18 PM   #50
HappyGunner

I agree with RsqVet

I agree 100% with RsqVet Wilson IMHO is past building many of their firearms for quality and more into just making as much money as they can make.

You read the many forums and many have quality problems with their shot guns along with their 1911s. But the BIG item is they will not take care of the problems. This no one can except today from any firearm Mfg.

I feel Kimber with the Custom Shop will try to solve peoples real or unreal problems.

I have really been impressed with the quality of build finish and how it shoots without any problems. Thats my new Para LDA 3-1/2 inch .45acp

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=15

So far I have not read in any forum about a Para 1911 giving their owners any problems or a bad word about the quality of their firearms company.
Closed Thread