The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 18, 2012, 09:40 AM   #26
ang4me

Aaaaaand there goes my thread, lol.

In all seriousness, I think I need to spend some time with an LCP to see if I can make it work with my big hands. Because, realistically, I want this to be a gun that completely disappears, and I don't think a PC9 or LCR will fit the bill in that regard. I just wish .380 wasn't both wimpy and expensive.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:47 AM   #27
larryh1108

I have XL meaty hands. I carry an LCP in a wallet holster, rear pocket. It is a great gun for it's intended purpose, SD. I put a rubber grip on it and it is fine for target practice. I have 2000 rounds thru it without a hiccup. If you practice at a maximum 25 feet you will see it is perfect for SD. As a range gun or a long range shooter, well, it's not meant for that.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:00 AM   #28
Capt.Mike

OH MY GAWD... POCKET PISTOL? No, you'll shoot yourself in the leg. Probably shouldn't be near a Gun. They are Dangerous.

I choose the KelTec .32 a couple of years ago for a couple of reasons. I was dead set on an LCP. Going into 3 different gun stores looking at LCP's, every time the person behind the counter stuck their hand in their pocket and out came a KelTec. Taking the CCW course here the instructor had 5 of them and had been to the factory. He said at the factory, they'd thrown one up and hit it with a baseball bat and it didn't go off. The other reason was at that time there wasn't any .380 ammo available. So I've carried on of the little KelTec 32's for the past couple of years, in my right front pocket (no holster) with keys, knife and change. Haven't shot myself and haven't had to shoot anyone. I like the idea of a wallet holster but the extra time fumbling getting your piece out of your rear pocket could cost you. When I stick my right hand in my pocket the KelTech is there (grip up). In 2 seconds I can pull it out.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:00 AM   #29
barstoolguru

Quote:
Poorly-thought out logic.
Bleed to death in seconds. Right.
yes is seconds:
[QUOTE]"Probably he hit his femoral artery," Reardon said. "That's a major artery in the legs. It's huge. I'm sure if he shot himself in the hip, you're going to bleed to death if you don't get medical attention pretty quickly."[/QUOTE]
http://www.wave3.com/story/16032947/...nt-of-children

Quote:
Pocket carry is very popular and widespread as a practice. You do not hear of many problems happening. Most people do it in a responsible, thoughtful manner.

There are those of us who carry in the rear pocket. Where does that fit in to your scheme? No pointing at your leg, and no problem drawing.
Really?:
Quote:
Man accidentally shoots self in buttocks when gun falls out of pocket at Nevada movie theatre
http://news.yahoo.com/man-accidental...082826134.html
Old November 18, 2012, 11:06 AM   #30
AH.74

Actually I now recall a somewhat recent story about a guy shooting himself while fussing with his gun in a parking lot while parked, and bleeding out in front of his family. So I'll give you that- shoot yourself in the "right" way and you will be gone quickly.

Quote:
Really?:
Quote:
Man accidentally shoots self in buttocks when gun falls out of pocket at Nevada movie theatre
Yes, really. I said "most people" do it in a responsible, thoughtful manner. Doing so in a manner which allows it to fall out of a pocket is neither.

And since so many people pocket carry, one report of stupidity does not make it the rule.

If it's not for you, fine- but don't paint it as a dangerous practice when the numbers bear out the fact that it is not.

Last edited by AH.74; November 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:09 AM   #31
PeterGreg

I have big hands and it doesn't seem to be a detriment with an LCP and for a close range gun I practice a one handed hold an focus on the back of my hand instead of the sights.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:19 AM   #32
Sparks1957

Quote:
If it's not for you, fine- but don't paint it as a dangerous practice when the numbers bear out the fact that it is not
Absolutely agree with the veteran shooters here speaking about the inherent safety of pocket carry IF proper holsters and exercise of safety rules are used.

barstoolguru, your name leads me to believe that you have an opinion on most anything, and when it comes to guns and safety experience trumps anyone's opinion about what is right based on thinking.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:25 AM   #33
Amsdorf

There are times when all I can get away with carrying is my Ruger LCP. I have XXL hands and the Ruger LCP does really well for me. I put a Hogue rubber grip and bought some sight paint to make the front post (more like a nub) more visible.

As the old saying goes, better a pocket full of bullets in a gun you are carrying, than a bunch of .45ACP back home.

Here's a video on how the Ruger LCP does for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvV3DGJkyRk
Old November 18, 2012, 11:28 AM   #34
Amsdorf

Sorry for duplicate post.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:35 AM   #35
barstoolguru

Quote:
barstoolguru, your name leads me to believe that you have an opinion on most anything, and when it comes to guns and safety experience trumps anyone's opinion about what is right based on thinking.
see the difference between me and you is I back my OPTION with facts and news articles and not personal attacks
Old November 18, 2012, 11:54 AM   #36
Sparks1957

Not a personal attack, just an observation. The thing is, you have put forward this idea that pocket carry is dangerous based on stuff you've read somewhere, and when lots of people who actually have pocket-carried safely for many years call you on the falsity of that claim, you get offended.

There are centuries of experience on this board, I tend to respect that
Old November 18, 2012, 12:01 PM   #37
larryh1108

Pocket carrying properly is no more dangerous than carrying any other way. I can post articles of every type of carry having an ND. Does that mean no way is safe to carry? Posting a link of someone shooting themself is no more proof than saying it's true because you said it's true. NDs are caused by negligent handling, not carrying responsibly no matter how you carry it.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:16 PM   #38
barstoolguru

Quote:
Not a personal attack, just an observation. The thing is, you have put forward this idea that pocket carry is dangerous based on stuff you've read somewhere, and when lots of people who actually have pocket-carried safely for many years call you on the falsity of that claim, you get offended.
I was asked why I thought it was/is dangerous and I gave my option why I don’t; I never said don’t do it to anyone. Pocket carry has been around as long as guns have and so has AD/ND's from it. I (my option) is to carry in the safest way possible not the most covenant.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:31 PM   #39
ang4me

Guys, can we get back on topic please?

There are advantages and disadvantages to all modes of carry. No matter how you do it, carrying a gun requires a great deal of responsibility, and there are inevitably some risks associated with being in contact with deadly weapons.

I have examined my options, and can and do carry OWB, IWB, smartcarry, and otherwise. I have come here because I want your guidance on pocket carry weapons. Not philosophy of carry, not advantages and disadvantages of various modes, and not AK vs. AR15.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:57 PM   #40
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
see the difference between me and you is I back my OPTION with facts and news articles and not personal attacks
No offense but your explanation of my pocket carry was dangerous and the article you posted have nothing to do with each other.

A man shoots himself in the butt because he was careless and most likely had an weapon that was outdated. He could just have easily shot himself when he dropped his gun pulling it from a belt holster. He shot himself because he dropped the gun. The way he carried it had nothing to do with it
Old November 18, 2012, 01:05 PM   #41
weblance

Ang4me, I have 2 LCPs, one with a Lasermax laser, and one without. When shooting the Lasermax equipped LCP, it recoils so much that the piece that wraps around the trigger guard, to secure the laser to the gun, cuts my finger. 380 isnt wimpy, it will get the job done, but there are of course, better choices. 9mm is a better choice, and ammo much cheaper. Consider a revolver, even though you feel that the little autoloaders are easier to conceal. The thickness of the cylinder isnt really a problem, and other than that, they are very similar in size. A snubnosed revolver doesnt scream GUN! from your pocket. The revolver draws from the pocket very easily, and in a cartridge like 9mm(yes, in a revolver) or 357 magnum, you have a very formidable weapon. You wont have to worry about wimpy performance, or expensive ammo if you end up with a 9mm. With a 357, you can practice with 38 Special(still cheaper than 380) and carry 38+P, or 357. Much more energy than 380

Last edited by weblance; November 18, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:18 PM   #42
barstoolguru

Quote:
No offense but your explanation of my pocket carry was dangerous and the article you posted have nothing to do with each other.
I was answering questions of "what if and really"s" and I don't make up the stories I just posted them to show a different point of view.

Quote:
A man shoots himself in the butt because he was careless and most likely had an weapon that was outdated.
and what do you base this on? is ther any proof?

Quote:
He shot himself because he dropped the gun. The way he carried it had nothing to do with it
What is one of the rules of gun safety... never point a gun at something you don't want to destroy!!! Guess what pulling a gun from your pocket violates that rule by sweeping your leg and privates.

And if you’re going to come at me with “that will never happen to me “ speech save it, you’re wasting internet space
Old November 18, 2012, 04:46 PM   #43
TennJed

Well the story stated he dropped the weapon which means he was careless (dropped weapon) and it discharged (not drop safe)
Old November 18, 2012, 04:55 PM   #44
K4THRYN

on the topic:

LCR = awesome weapon. I am VERY seriously looking at this for my CCW future. If I do get it, it will be with the crimson trace grips. (worth noting, the LCR looks like a better CCW solution for the money than a S&W J frame, for now anyway, I'm sure S&W is working on that issue). Also worth noting, .38 out of a 2" barrel isn't really noticeably more potent than .380 in a 3" barrel. So when comparing between a 2" .38 and a 3" .380, I'd call the per-round potency a wash.

LCP = I have come to develop some bad feelings about all the micro.380's out there. Typically they have horrible triggers, horrible ergonomics, poor reliability, and bad accuracy. Some models of tiny .380 manage to avoid some of these issues, but I have not found a single one which really addresses all of these issues to my satisfaction. I'm really quite frustrated with pretty much all of them, from all brands (and not for lack of trying). Of them all, the S&W bodyguard came closest (for me), mostly because it fit amazingly well in the hand, and was extremely point-able. But it has a pretty horrible trigger, and it doesn't always go bang.

LC9 = no direct experience with it. But i'd like to try one and see

PM9 = for the money, get the CM9 instead. CM9 is a budget version of the PM9, button rifling, a couple of stamped parts (instead of milled), but functionally the same gun, same dimensions, and same reliability. CM9 is another very strong possibility for my next CCW.

Glock 26 = amazing reliability, durability, longetivity, accuracy, and anything else good that ends in Y. It's fat though. both in terms of it's thickest measurement, and a blocky shape that prints through clothes. Not as easy to conceal. I think the entire US shooting public is waiting with baited breath for glock to create a single-stack magazine 9mm compact with rounded edges. Like a streamlined, "thin" glock 26. Such a gun could easily become the ultimate CCW choice. but alas... austria seems disinterested.

Berreta 3032 tomcat = my current CCW. ok, it's .32acp... not exactly a canon. But it has what all the pocket .380's have failed to deliver (for me anyway). it's accurate, ergonomicly sound, great trigger, DA/SA, accurate to shoot quickly, reliable, etc. In other words, a real gun, that I can shoot rapidly with good shot placement. it's just very small. disappointment with the .380's crop has me still using this gun.

There are some other good options, but I notice you're a ruger fan, and there's 1 or 2 really good options right there. Ruger's taken CCW pretty seriously as a business market.

I'm anxious to hold/shoot a CM9 and a LC9 (and a taurus 709 too). If any of them are ergonomically sound, have good triggers, durable, and fire reliably... I'll probably buy one. I was unable to find that blend of attributes in the various pocket .380's, I'm hoping the pocket 9's are better.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:56 PM   #45
Onward Allusion

Of the guns you'd mentioned, only the LCP and P3AT are true pocket pistols. I'm sure there will be some who will disagree with me but I've had a number of the pistols you'd mentioned. None of them fit comfortably in my pocket except for the two I'd mentioned. I'm 5'10" & 180lb & wear a 32" - 34" waist pants.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:03 PM   #46
K4THRYN

yeah, only the .380's are truly "pocketable" (well, and my .32), at least in summer shorts.

The Kahr P380 probably also belongs on your shopping list. It's one of the only pocket .380's I haven't tried yet (nor axed as an option). I hear it's reliable. I can't say whether it's user friendly though.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:19 PM   #47
2damnold4this

Quote:
.38 out of a 2" barrel isn't really noticeably more potent than .380 in a 3" barrel. So when comparing between a 2" .38 and a 3" .380, I'd call the per-round potency a wash.

Another take
Old November 18, 2012, 05:49 PM   #48
barstoolguru

Quote:
Well the story stated he dropped the weapon which means he was careless (dropped weapon) and it discharged (not drop safe)
from the article:
Quote:
Authorities say the man had a permit to carry a concealed firearm. The man told officers the gun fell from his pocket Tuesday night as he was adjusting himself in the seat and that it discharged when it dropped to the floor.
sorry this doesn't sound like carelessness to me

how about this one, this just happened:

Quote:
Pontiac man reaches into pocket, shoots self in thigh
Pontiac — A Pontiac man accidentally shot himself in the thigh while reaching into his pocket for his handgun, the Oakland County Sheriff's Office said Monday.
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2CcMAfU2G

Last edited by barstoolguru; November 18, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 06:12 PM   #49
Sparks1957

My main point is that, if one goes looking, one can find all kinds of NDs associated with any type of carry... pocket, IWB, OWB, shoulder...

...and they all boil down to the shooter either using less than proper equipment (poor holster fit or no holster, for instance) and/or carelessness around the safety rules of gun handling. All negligent discharges are, well, negligent.

You are simply finding exactly what you are looking for in the attempt to prove your point.

Last edited by Sparks1957; November 18, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 06:27 PM   #50
2damnold4this

Quote:
pocket carry is an accident waiting to happen

What carry method do you recommend?