The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Stargazer

Ever use Barnes Buster 325 gr. in 45 Colt...?

Has anyone out there ever used the new Barnes Buster 325 grain bullet in 45 Colt? Santa brought a box of (50) of them after I sent "her" some hints. It will be a couple of weeks before I can try any of them out though and was wondering if anyone else here had tried some of them. They seem very similar to the Brass Punch Bullets Belt Mountain sells, at least in intention anyway, penetration over ANY expansion.

M70 Web Page
Old January 1, 2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Stargazer

I shot (6) of these this morning and they shot just fine. Cases looked good and primers were a bit flattened so I will drop the charge a bit. Heavy recoil of course but POI was only just a tad higher than regular 300's. They work fine in a 45 Colt or at least in my Redhawk.

M70 Web Page
Old January 5, 2011, 03:01 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

335g Cast Performance?

I found the 325g Swift A-Frame JHP offered sufficient penetration AND exceptional expansion.
But I would never recommend their use on dangerous game (and suggest that lead-bullet choices for penetration are more than adequate).
Old January 5, 2011, 09:20 AM   #4
jmortimer

I did not know that Barnes made a bullet that heavy for .45 Colt. Don't see it on their site. If it is all copper I would expect the OAL to be too long. Is it a solid flat point? If it is like the Punch bullets or LBT with wide meplat then I'm sure it's very effective.