The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 29, 2010, 06:38 PM   #1
ClemBert

Pietta "Quality" Strikes Again

Big surprise huh? Not that I expect these things to be perfect. But the obvious issues should never leave the factory IMHO. So in this thread I told you I was ordering a Pietta SS 1858 shorty and a Pietta 1860 shorty.

The 1860's quality was acceptable. Not perfect but good enough for the $190 I paid for it. The left grip panel to grip frame interface isn't great but its acceptable. Its not something that I'd be willing to trade out just to get a replacement with bigger issues.

The 1858 shorty, for the most part, is decent. Its not exactly a Ruger Old Army but I only paid $240 for it even though the "normal" Cabelas price is $420. However, there is just one thing that I can't live with. I know some of you will think I'm picky but with Cabelas 100% satisfaction guarantee I'm gonna swap this sucker out. I'm sorry but this revolver should have NEVER been rigged the way it was then sent on it's merry way. Check out the loading lever stud in the following pics. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics. It almost looks like it was threaded/pressed in at an angle. Perhaps it was. However, if you take a close look it appears that the loading lever was too long. Rather than put a shorter loading lever on this revolver some genius at the Pietta factory decided to bend the stud forward so it could accommodate the long lever.

From the first pic it would almost appear that with the heaviest charge that the loading lever could come unattached and drop like it does with a Walker under full load. Upon close inspection in the third pic you may notice some discoloration near where the stub mounts to the barrel. It would appear that our Pietta genius took a torch to heat up the stud then proceeded to bend it forward. Within that discoloration the stud actually has a crack/buckle in it where the force applied tore/bent the stainless steel.

Last edited by ClemBert; April 30, 2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old April 29, 2010, 06:46 PM   #2
simonkenton

It is a s***-rig, send it back.
I would.

That's why I prefer buying these pistols in person.
Old April 29, 2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Hawg

That sucks.
Old April 29, 2010, 10:23 PM   #4
CajunPowder

Pietta Genius - The Magnificence

I think we should all write a letter to Pietta and urge them to give the "Pietta Genius" a nice, big raise ... TO DA MOON!

I BET, the guy who did it was absolutely tickled pink with himself and quite proud of his ingenuity.

I smell C**P on sale getting moved off the shelves.

I'm beginning to see a trend that stuff in the stores is generally better than the mail order. I'm really beginning to think that blemished goods and goods with imperfections are marked for mail order from the get go.

I wonder if one ordered two from Cabela's and had "Ship To Store", if they'd have the brains to send good ones, rather than have them returned on the spot.

I agree at this point that some small problems can only be exchanged for the very real risk of some much bigger issues.

The main thing that had me return to Dixie rather than send it to Jay Strite for tuning, etc... was the BIG pit in the back of the frame, just couldn't deal with that when Dixie Gun Works was advertising the revolver as having a "Satin Finish".

You send that "Brilliant Pietta" back with a letter of commendation for the genius.

THANKS for the report and the pictures, this helps all of us come to terms with many issues we face in these markets.

Now, did it have "CleeeeeeemmmmBeeeeerrrrtttt" stamped on the barrel? I bet not, so send that one back!
Old April 29, 2010, 11:56 PM   #5
Hardcase

All of the 1858s that I looked at at the Boise Cabela's had that problem - it's not just the short-barreled model. I bought the best one that I could see. There's no obvious damage, other than a crooked stud. The lever is solid as a rock in it, although mine has more contact area than yours.

I figured that they'd located the hole incorrectly or machined the stud incorrectly. Whatever happened, it's definitely wrong. I think that I looked at five or six revolvers before I settled on mine. This was back in December.
Old April 30, 2010, 01:13 AM   #6
zippy13

All of the 1858s that I looked at at the Boise Cabela's had that problem
All, except the one in the catalog's picture.
Old April 30, 2010, 04:07 AM   #7
Hawg

I've gotten several from Cabela's and had no problems with any of them......So far.
Old April 30, 2010, 10:28 AM   #8
Noz

I have purchased several black powder guns from Cabela's. The only one I have had to return for manufacturing flaws was an Uberti.
Old April 30, 2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Moyesdriver

I just received a Pietta 1858 (6" barrel) from Cabela's yesterday, and the thing is beautiful. I have not fired it yet. Fit and finish exceptional. Quite a deal for 200 bucks. Perhaps some clunkers get out because many of the guns are never used seriously (just as costume stuff) and relatively few buyers complain.
Old April 30, 2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

Do I dare?

I think Caje and probably most others here are doing the right thing in demanding high standards in the items we buy. Unfortunately the existing environment reveals that this is probably not happening in the larger black powder shooting population. I think that if a larger number of pistols were returned because of failure to meet at least minimal standards, the manufacturers, distributers and importers would react in such a way as to close up those standards.

I have only bought one new pistol from an online commercial vendor. That was a Griswold and Gunnison (.44?!) from Cabelas when they ran a sale. It was good enough to keep, actually I think, quite good.

My sense is that a lot of pistols are purchased and then shot very little or not at all. The pistols are inexpensive enough that a person can throw a couple hundred bucks on a trial basis with the full understanding that if he decides he does not like the concept he hasn't lost much.

The pistols are so attractive in appearance that I think that alone sells a lot of them, especially brass frame versions.

People who fit into these two categories may be less likely to examine their purchase as carefully as Caje did.

This kind of makes me want to drive over to Bass Proshop and whisper into the ear of the folks standing in front of the display case that has the Colt and Remington clones. "Don't compromise." "Demand high standards." Bring it back if it isn't right." "Make them stand behind their merchandise."

Tnx,
Old April 30, 2010, 11:54 AM   #11
Hawg

I think the truly defective ones are the exception and not the rule. However if they tightened up quality control we would see prices skyrocket. I personally have not had anything as remotely bad as any of the ones I've seen posted here and hope the trend continues but I would rather take the chance of getting a bad one here and there than have to pay higher prices.
Old April 30, 2010, 02:09 PM   #12
jerryv

i received a 1858 pietta blue this morning and the pin looks like yours. i think it is designed this way so the leaver will close easier and fit better. the angle the pin is inserted and ground off matches the angle of the leaver when closed. it latches solid and i dont see it releasing when fired. the gun looks perfect and if this was unintentional it would have been caught and corrected quickly. my 2 cents
Old April 30, 2010, 02:20 PM   #13
ClemBert

From the first picture you can see on mine that it clearly (or maybe not due to poor photography) does not latch very well. In fact its barely latched. Between the spring latch and the stud you can see a huge gap. I think if it was intentionally designed that way then.

1. I don't think they would have had the need for a blow torch and need to bend it to the point where the stainless stud is buckled on mine.

2. They posted a picture of a defective one on the Cabelas website. You can tell it is defective because the stud is straight and the lever is latched properly (sarcasm...).

p.s. Cajun....it did not, in fact, have CleeeemmmmmBeeeeert written on it. I think there was a different one calling my name as this one apparently has Caaaaaaaajuuuuuuun written all over it.

Last edited by ClemBert; April 30, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old April 30, 2010, 02:29 PM   #14
kwhi43

This is mine on my custom revolver. The latch was made and dovetailed into
the barrel. If it would have worked better he would have made it on a angle.
I think those that are at a angle are made wrong!!

Old April 30, 2010, 09:29 PM   #15
CajunPowder

Congrats Moyesdriver

Moyesdriver:

Welcome to the land of those that got's !

Congrats on getting a nice one.
Old May 6, 2010, 02:54 PM   #16
ClemBert

Just wanted to do an update and let y'all know how this ended.

I received the replacement Pietta 1858 shorty from Cabelas today. Thankfully, the loading lever stud was put on correctly on the replacement. Initial inspection shows that this one is a keeper. Everything looks to be in good order. Any imperfections are so minor as not worth complaining about and worth knocking on wood that I received a good one. BTW, I noticed on this one that the timing IS PERFECT. That is, the bolt drops in the cylinder stop perfectly as the hammer locks in the firing position. I'll post some pics in another thread when I get a chance.

Is it me or do most BP revolvers have at least a little cylinder drag as the bolt usually pops up before getting to the cylinder stop?

p.s. Cajun, under the loading lever of this one it is stamped: CleeeeeemBeeeerrrt

Last edited by ClemBert; May 8, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 05:05 PM   #17
CajunPowder

CleeemBeeert Proof and Factory Mark

LOL!

From what I understand the bolt should drop onto the cylinder a little early, as much as 3/16" early or as little as 1/8" early. And there should be a small drag mark before each notch.

One way to limit this, (I read on this forum), is to very lightly stone the bolt so that it is smooth across it's surface. Don't take any thousandth's off so to speak, just smooth it so when it does drag before the notch, it will minimize that mark.

I also read in my recent crash course on BP and Remmie revolvers that there should be four clicks when you pull back the hammer.

Click 1: Half cock

Click 2: Bolt dropping on the cylinder, (before the notch)

Click 3: Bolt dropping into the cylinder notch

Click 4: Full cock

The way I understand this is there should be about the same amount of distance timewise between these 4 clicks if one pulls the hammer back at a constant rate of speed.

Last edited by CajunPowder; May 6, 2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 05:42 PM   #18
ClemBert

BTW, in addition to the crooked loading lever stud I took some pics of a manufacturing defect on the grip frame of the reject 1858. I had erroneously stated above that the Pietta 1860 shorty I bought had this problem. Obviously I got it wrong. Thankfully the problem is on the same firearm going back to Cabelas.

With the grips on you can see two gaps between the grip frame and the grips. Apparently, someone working the grinder at the Pietta factory was a bit too enthusiastic about his job. The gaps are about 0.025" deep and about 0.5" long. I tried to take some decent pics but my camera skills are about the same as the grinding skills of the dude at Pietta who operates the grinder. I put some blue arrows in the pics to highlight the problem areas. And yes, the gaps are obvious even with the grips on. For whoever ends up with this firearm I hope you got a real good deal on it. The serial number is: R400847. Oddly, under the grip panels, the grip frame is stamped 0823 and the panels have 0823 written on them. How the numbers got out of sequence I'm sure is a great story.

Last edited by ClemBert; May 6, 2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:13 PM   #19
Hawg

Quote:
I also read in my recent crash course on BP and Remmie revolvers that there should be four clicks when you pull back the hammer.
Colt has four clicks a Remington has two, half cock and full cock. I have had a couple that had three if you pulled the hammer back slow enough with the second being the bolt contacting the cylinder just before locking in. My CCH Pietta only has two no matter how slowly you cock it. My 41 year old Rigarmi has three if you cock it slowly enough but the second one on it is the bolt locking into the cylinder just before the hammer locks in on full cock. Actually you really can't say its three separate clicks, just a funny sounding second click. Cock it normally and you can't hear it at all
Old May 6, 2010, 11:13 PM   #20
arcticap

This keeper certainly seems to be making up for the some of the other bad Piettas that you've received in the past.
That's the Italian way of doing things, like when some wine spills when tipping to pour some from a new bottle and an Italian will say that means good luck!

Last edited by arcticap; May 7, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old May 7, 2010, 01:01 AM   #21
Model-P

Both Remingtons and Colts should have three "clicks".

#1. Sear engaging the half cock notch.
#2. Bolt snapping against cylinder.
#3. Sear engaging full cock notch/bolt engaging cylinder stop.

If there are two clicks at #3, they should be so close together that you only detect it when cocking very slowly, and the sear should be engaging before the bolt drops into the stop, but only be a hair. Ideally, these two events should happen coincidentally.

If #2 happens too close to #3, the bolt will peen the edge of the bolt stop, often to the point the bolt will eventually be unable to properly seat in it.
Old May 7, 2010, 07:54 AM   #22
Hawg

Quote:
Both Remingtons and Colts should have three "clicks".
Yeah you're right about the c&b Colt.

Quote:
If #2 happens too close to #3, the bolt will peen the edge of the bolt stop, often to the point the bolt will eventually be unable to properly seat in it.
Like I said my Rigarmi is 41 years old and has seen heavy use. No peening there. The CCH Pietta bolt drops in at exactly the same time the sear engages. It's been used a good bit and not a mark on it anywhere.
Old May 7, 2010, 09:13 AM   #23
Hardcase

My Lyman (Pietta) .36 Remington has four very distinct clicks. The much newer Pietta .44 Remington has the two-tone double click (click-CLICK). Like Hawg's.
Old May 7, 2010, 11:39 AM   #24
Model-P

Quote:
My Lyman (Pietta) .36 Remington has four very distinct clicks.
Your gun is out of time.

O.K. Let me try this a different way:

The audible "clicks" are numbered 1, 2, and 3. Number 3a and 3b should be heard as one click.

#1. Sear engaging the half cock notch.
#2. Bolt snapping against cylinder.
#3a. Bolt engaging cylinder stop.
#3b. Sear engaging full cock notch.

-------------

#2 is the bolt snapping to the cylinder
#3b is the bolt snapping into the slot in the cylinder

#2 and #3a should not happen at the same time. If #2 and #3a happen simultaneously when cocked slowly, the cylinder will over turn (turn past) the bolt when cocked in a normal or fast manner. You will scratch the surface of your cylinder at best, or ruin your gun by firing out of battery at worst.

#3a and #3b should be heard as one click when cycled at normal speed. When cycled very slowly, you may hear #3a happen just before #3b, but not the other way around. If the sear is engaging before the bolt snaps into the bolt stop, you could end up firing the gun out of battery. If #3b precedes #3a by just a small amount when cocked slowly, you would likely be alright as long as you cock the gun at normal speed or better. However, if there are four distinct clicks because #3a and #3b are well separated, then chances are that the sear is engaging first, then the bolt (#3b, then #3a). This can be dangerous.
Old May 7, 2010, 04:13 PM   #25
herb

Ain't that just great. Sent a poorly made 1860 back to Cabela's and asked them to replace with a 1858 as I'd had three that were excellent. Now I see that they figured out how to screw up the loading lever latch. Think I'm going to be