The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2009, 02:49 PM   #1
rbf420

powders and primers

so i went into cabellas the other day to buy all my reloading stuff. the guy gave me some federal small magnum pistol primers to use in my 9mm loads and said to use less powder... im using imr-700x and it says to use 2.9 grs starting and max is 3.4 so in using magnum primers should i stay at the starting 2.9grs. also for consideration, i shoot the beretta 92fs, and the manual for that says to not use +p stuff, will any of the loads be too much pressure and break the barrel?

the guy also sold me H4198 to use in loading some 30 06 rounds. im using a 200gr mold and the powerd only goes up to 130grs on the charts ive looked at. do i need to get different powder?
Old August 1, 2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Uncle Buck

Get different powder or buy a loading manual that has that type of powder listed. (Check the powder manufacturer website.)

I bought some powder when I first started reloading and the guy said "This is what you need..." He sold me small pistol primers for a .45 colt and I could not find any listing for the powder when I checked my manual.

Now when I am shopping, I go with a list of what I want (Powder and bullets) so I do not get home and find out I can't reload what I have just purchased.
Old August 1, 2009, 07:48 PM   #3
Smogdude

I'd take back the mag pistol primers... I put about 100 CCI 550 small pistol mag primers thru my sig p226 in .40 s&w with starting charges of AA#5, no problems.. Switched to winchester SPM primers, same charge and got signs of high pressure: flattened primer cups, case neck failures, etc. Those were the most accurate rounds I've shot though. They all seemed to go exactly where I wanted them to go on a silhouette target.

I just began loading 50gn Barnes varmint grenades for .223 rem using H4198.. I'm using wolf srp's and once fired lake city brass. I'm suprised at the metering consistancy so far considering it is a stick powder.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Mag pistol primers are fine in 9mm if you start at the lowest load listed and work your way up.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.