The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2009, 12:20 PM   #1
Alpha Centauri

.311 7.62x54 Hand Pulls Reloaded into 7.62x39

Hey folks. New to this forum, but from what I've read there are some fine folks here with a lot of knowledge to share.

So, that said, I'd like to ask you to share some.

I picked up some .311 147 grain steel core surplus bullets for a great price. I have a 1,000 of them. The seller tells me that he shoots them in his WASR-10 (Romanian AK-47, same rifle I am going to shoot them out of) and swears that they shoot great.

The rounds were pulled from Norinco 7.62x54R surplus. There's no reloading data for this bullet specifically (contrasted as to say, a Barnes bullet).

And here's the recipe that he gave:

AA 1680 @ 22gr

I'm using Sellier and Bellot once-fired brass and CCI #200 LR primers.

Every brass has a small ejection dent in the main body. But I have already read that this should not be an issue provided that it's not at or above the neck.

Do any of you see any issues here? First check of my Hornady Manual shows IMR 1680 @ 22.9 grains max for a 150-155 grain round.

First. Any issues with blasting 147 grain rounds out of an AK?
Any issues with Sellier and Bellot brass (boxer, LR primed)
What do you think of the CCI #200's?
Should I back off the 22 grains a bit? It's within 5% of max load for a Hornady reload.

BTW. I am quite new to reloading so even though I have a LNL progressive I still use it as a single stage (for noob safety) until I have each stage completely mastered.

Thanks.

AC.
Old August 1, 2009, 12:48 PM   #2
mkl

You should not have any issues with what you propose.

I would suggest that you do back off from the 22.0 grains to start with.

Start at around 20.0 and work up checking for pressure signs.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Alpha Centauri

Thanks MKL.

I always start off 10% below max load when using a new component. 20 grains is right at that level so that's why I asked that question. 22 grains seems like a high starting point.
Old August 2, 2009, 09:50 AM   #4
orionengnr

Quote:
Should I back off the 22 grains a bit? It's within 5% of max load for a Hornady reload.

Is 22 gr the max for a 147 gr projectile or for a 123 gr?
I imagine you know that you cannot (safely) use the same powder charge for a different bullet weight.
Old August 2, 2009, 09:50 PM   #5
Alpha Centauri

Orion. That's why I posted this thread. For the Hornady manual (I use Hornady bullets, they work very well with my rifles. Just me), it's for 150-155 grain bullets. So it's not exact. And Hornady's recipes are for Hornady's bullets.

Unfortunately military surplus bullets often do not have reloading information, if ever.

Your take?