The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 5, 2007, 08:39 PM   #1
DrLaw

First trap gun - recommendations

Okay gentlemen, suggestions wanted. I shoot rifles and pistols, but for some reason, have done very little with shotguns (except for what was carried in my squad car way back when).

I have been cajoled into trap shoots now, and rather than borrow a friend's wife's Remington 870 (which really didn't fit for pull), I was thinking of getting something for myself.

Here is the criteria. Simple, 12 gauge, inexpensive and rugged and the reasons for that is I would not be using it as much as other guns I have (those aforementioned rifles and pistols) i.e. about 25-50 shots per session. (time constraints)

Now, what can you gents come up with (I'd invite the ladies opinions, but the wife and daughter want nothing to do with this - yet)

The Doc is out and looking for your prescriptions now, because even us Docs have to be treated sometimes.

PS, some sharp folks may notice that I have posted this over at THR. I like to get as much info as possible from other possible sources that might not be at THR, so please forgive me for that. The Doc.
Old August 5, 2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Ruger4570

You will NEVER go wrong with a Browning BT-99. I have one with at least 20,000 rounds though it with nary a hiccup. There are good used ones out there too.
Old August 5, 2007, 09:55 PM   #3
Win62a

The BT is a great choice. Another good one is the grand old Remington 1100.
Old August 5, 2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Wildalaska

What fits you the best?

WildstageoneAlaska TM
Old August 5, 2007, 10:50 PM   #5
sm

Quote:
What fits you the best?
WA nailed it!

Go shoot a variety to see what fits you actually shooting them.
Re: Inexpensive. Just find what fits in the price range.

Rudy Etchen used the same 870 40 years later to win the same Championship again...FWIW...
Old August 5, 2007, 11:02 PM   #6
JWT

I shoot a BT-99 and have a Remington 1100 as a 'back-up". Both are very nice guns, I prefer the BT-99 primarily because it's easier to clean. You wouldn't go wrong with either and the prices are still 'reasonable'.

There certainly are many other fine trap guns - Berettas, Perozzis, Kreighoffs, etc. There is also a wide range of prices.

Go to a trap club, look around, try to shoot various guns to see what you actually prefer. Then get the one that fits you best and feels the best in your price range.
Old August 6, 2007, 01:27 AM   #7
digitalnomadil

Avoid Hamstringing yourself

Hello All and Greetings Doc,

Saw your posting and thought that I'd jump in. Been down the road your traveling Doc bout six years ago myself so hopefully you'll find some good points here and I hope it's a good first post for the forums.

IMHO, I'd highly recommend that you consider a double barrel as your first trap gun because it offers both simplicity and flexibility. Sure an 1100 or pump is an option but the hinge action is easy for first time shooters to adapt to as well as it offers the option of a second tighter choke for follow-up if you're shooting doubles. Flexibility is the key here and trap shooting quickly becomes an addiction. Not to mention the sport of trap simulates upland game hunting and hopefully you'll grow to partake in that sport too.

Looking forward to your family's involvement in the sport, either over\under or side by side will do. However, I've personally found that many novice shooters feel more comfortable with a SxS. It's easier for them to use the wider plane offered by a SxS when swinging to on the bird. I had one woman in my trap class that every instructor became frustrated with...single shot, 1100, 870 and BT-99 just didn't get her close to the bird. Not a hit, swapped her out with my Baikal 28" SxS 20 GA and she hit 3 out of the following 10. She's now a regular and we make a day of it on the range.

I'd say that the ideal combination your searching for is a 12 GA doubles gun with a minimum of 30" tubes and removable (preferably steel rated chokes)chokes.

Field or Sport? A competition gun or true trap gun is going to a slighly different design to the stock (Comb) resulting in a point of aim to the target of 6 o'clock while field guns are dead-on and you cover the bird on discharge. Bare that in mind when looking at shotguns and getting a feel for them.

Gauge? For trap, it'll have to be 12 because frankly a 20's going to frustrate you on long shots. There just are not enough pellets there to make the long haul however if you're good...a 20s good enough. The little ladies shoulders will also appreciate it if they join you at the range although hopefully a friend will have a 20 available in that instance.

Cost.... I walked into my first doubles gun 4 years ago for $850 new, Weatherby Field Grade Orion 28"\12 GA. If you look hard enough, you'll find something to fit you as well as your desire. Make it a point to hang around the local trap club, it's amazing the amout of deals that surface on used firearms and you usually get the chance to try it out before buying it. Try this approach and possibly enlist the aid of your departments armorer, he or she might be able to find a good deal on a couple of the auction boards out there and help you get a really good deal.

Myself, I'm in the maket for a Benelli however I came across what looks to be a sweet deal on a couple of nice Brownings that may be worth checking out..just remember if you go that route buyer beware

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=8115768
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=8112231

Good Luck and Kindest Regards
Old August 6, 2007, 02:00 AM   #8
TheDingy

I have to concur on all points that you posted digital.

BTW: A good trap gun can make a good field gun, but the oposite is not true. Many a dove and quail have been taken with my K80 soft touch combo.

Cheers
Old August 6, 2007, 02:05 PM   #9
BigJimP

Stay with something versatile - vs a dedicated "Trap Gun" like the BT 99 or the older BT 100. They're very good guns - but not versatile.

Fit is the first issue / not the gun. You have to figure out what fits you - field stock, monte carlo stock with or without an adjustable comb - and then talk about gun.

A good versatile over under is the Browning XS Special or the XS Skeet - they both come with adj combs so you can adjust them to shoot higher / fit you. If you really want a dedicated Trap gun - look for a Browning XT over under in a 32" barrel and the adj comb. All 3 of these guns have a lot of adjustability - but shoot some of them before you buy.

Another gun with a lot of adjustability is the Benelli super sport semi auto - with the comfort tech. You can get optional comb pads for it, with the shims you have quite a bit of adjustability. I like this gun in a 30" barrel.

But again - focus on what fits you first - not cost or brand of gun - that's doing it backwards.
Old August 8, 2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Master Blaster

Last year I was looking for a trap gun:

Fit is very important so its a good thing if you look at a shop with a knowlegeable staff or with someone experienced in assessing gun fit ( another trap shooter). The Beretta 391 urika gold sport was my choice, because it has interchangeable chokes, and an adjustible stock (cast, and length of pull).
It also has great recoil reduction (gas operated) compared to an over under or a pump. It has a crome linned barrel and chrome plated inner workings. It has great balance.

The 390-91 series has been around for a long time and IMHO is the best all around semi auto trap sporting clays gun that there is.

If you get a 391 Urika used or a new Technys, you wont need to buy another gun when you improve.
Old August 9, 2007, 03:07 AM   #11
TexIndian

Most folks at a trap or skeet club will gladly let you try out their gun to see how it fits you. Finding one that feels right for you is most important. I agree with the previous note about a minimum of 30" barrels for trap, not for added velocity, etc. but just for a better sight picture on long shots.

For trap, I started by trying my old Citori with 26" barrels. While that worked fine for skeet it didn't do so well with the fast-receding trap targets. So I moved to a BT-99 (30"), then sold it and moved up to a BT-99 Plus (34") which took me to the 27 yard line and AA at singles. I used a Sporting Clays Special (30") for doubles, and later for just about everything else except trap singles and handicap. You'll see a lot of expensive Italian guns at a tournament, but mostly that's a status thing, IMO. Plus you have to carry around a bucket of parts to keep them running. Go figure. Dedicated trap guns are not very versatile for other purposes as mentioned above. They don't even have a safety.

After all that, I have to admit that any gun will break all the targets if you've got it pointed right. I saw plenty of guys win events with something like an 11-87 or an 870 Wingmaster. These guns won't hold up over tens of thousands of rounds like a Browning O/U or similar gun, though. At some point, you get what you pay for.

Here's a shot of my old skeet/trap/sporting clays guns. Eventually, I ended up using mainly the two on the right - the Sporting Clays Special and the BT-99 Plus (no longer made). As an example of the quality, that 99 Plus has fired over 250,000 rounds - I kid you not. (I went a little crazy there for about 12-15 years, but man was it fun.) It's pretty loose and needs adjusting, and the bluing has been rubbed off the receiver bottom by toting it around with sweaty hands, but it's still got a lot of use left in it. Everything is factory (including the built-in shock absorber in the stock and a barrel that's back-bored and ported) except for the adjustable heel-piece and recoil pad. The two on the left are a 20 ga. Lightning and my first Citori. I have spent a grand total of $15 in repairs on all of these guns.

Old August 10, 2007, 09:21 PM   #12
skeeter1

Don't worry too much about getting a trapgun right off the bat. My first experiences at the trap range were using a SxS SKS M100 12-gauge double with 26" IC/M barrels, a field gun. I kept getting better at it, and once I was confidently shooting 20+ at every trip to the firing line, I decided to get a bit more serious -- a 28" F/M SxS double, also a field gun, but a fancier grade (SKB M200). Anyone who claims you can't shoot trap with a SxS has never taken the time to try. The M200 is stricktly for the range for me (too fancy for the field), but the M100 has gotten plenty of upland game and waterfowl.