The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2006, 11:31 AM   #1
hazrd

neck tension problem? i think

Here is what I have.

New Winchester brass. Run through a FL size die, and then used a VLD tool on the inside of the case neck. Using 190 SMK moly bullets, sometimes,(10 so far out of this pack of 50 pieces of brass), I can seat the bullet by hand. Which means I can pull it out by hand.

I sorta figure having negligible tension on the bullet defeats my painstaking efforts to make certain than each round is the same OAL. So, what is the fix? I am using LEE dies, on a RCBS single stage press.

Here I thought I had a handle on this load for this gun, and now I am thinking I have to reshoot my last session (dern ), because I just noticed this problem, and it probably explains some of the variances I had in my accuracy.

Oh, never seemed to have this problem with the other new or previously fired brass before.

Edit: sorry, 300 WSM. This is the first caliber I have reloaded, but I have probably loaded almost 300 rounds so far using a variety of once fired, twice fired, and new brass, never having a problem.

Last edited by hazrd; December 14, 2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old December 14, 2006, 11:55 AM   #2
Ausserordeutlich

What caliber? 190 gr. doesn't really tell us much. Have you done much reloading, or are you just getting started?
Old December 14, 2006, 12:09 PM   #3
30Cal

Sounds like the expander ball on your sizing die is oversized. Either send it back to the mfr or make it smaller yourself.

Ty
Old December 14, 2006, 01:04 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Measure the diameter of the expander ball with your caliper. It should be around .305". If it is bigger I'd call Lee and I'm sure they'll send you a new one free. If it is .305" then your doing something wrong or the necks on the cases are really thin.
Old December 14, 2006, 01:48 PM   #5
tINY

What is a VLD tool? Does it take material off the inside of the neck?

What happens if you don't use it?

-tINY

Old December 14, 2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Ausserordeutlich

Get a Lee Collet Die (only sizes the neck). Follow the instructions; you'll be amazed at the results. You might not have your current sizing die screwed down far enough, or you might have an expander ball problem, as others suggested.
Old December 14, 2006, 11:07 PM   #7
mrawesome22

tINY, a VLD (very low drag) is a inside neck chamfer. It's 22 degrees instead of the normal 45 degrees.
Old December 17, 2006, 12:23 AM   #8
amamnn

Since most seem ok and only a few are not working for you I would recommend the following to start:
Be sure to lubricate the neck inside and out to avoid too much expander drag during sizing and be sure to run the case all the way to the end of the ram's travel. You might want to check the diameter of loose bullets with your micrometer. If they seem ok I would FL size the cases again.
Old December 17, 2006, 10:44 AM   #9
MADISON

Neck tention

I did the inside-outside on my .223 Remington brass.
Everything I reamed allowed me to DROP THE BULLET into the bottom of the case. There was ZERO TENTION at the case mough. I quit and trashed the brass.
Old December 17, 2006, 02:28 PM   #10
30Cal

Are we talking about Lee dies?
Old December 17, 2006, 02:53 PM   #11
rrp

neck tention

I had the same problem with my new 270wsm a few weeks ago. I called Lee and a Tech advised me to take the expander ball out of the die, put it in a drill, and use 600 emery cloth and take just a tiny bit off the ball. It only took a few minutes and cleared up the problem. I've loaded a a couple hundred rounds since and have not had a problem since. Just be careful not to take too much off. I hope this helps and good luck.
Old December 18, 2006, 11:29 AM   #12
onlybrowning

Spend about twenty bucks and buy a set of dies other than LEE. I use some of their products, but not dies. RCBS, Lyman, Forster, Redding, Hornady, etc,etc. Sorry to be the guy telling you to spend more money, but you may even get a used set in good shape, as I have done a few times.
Old December 18, 2006, 01:44 PM   #13
amamnn

I did not see where the original poster said anything about reaming the case necks.
Old December 18, 2006, 02:54 PM   #14
tINY

Apparently the VLD tool is a neck deburring tool. He could be pressing too hard and opening up the neck a bit. Resizing after the champfer is cut may cure it.

I says he's reloaded 100's of once fired brass, I assume using the same epuipment and bullets...

I wouldn't think that the neck thickness is that different, but that's all that's left that I can think of.

-tINY

Old December 21, 2006, 05:12 PM   #15
rrp

Neck tension problem

Did you ever come up with an answer to your neck tension problems? Just curious to know if we were able to help.