The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 7, 2013, 07:51 PM   #51
Tactical Jackalope

Where I am there isn't a "fall" or "winter", but if there was it still wouldn't change from a Glock 19.
Old August 7, 2013, 08:27 PM   #52
Super Sneaky Steve

Cutting grass in my safe neghborhood a .22 in the pocket will do.

Most other places a .38 J-frame will do and for the ghetto it's one of my .45's or soon to be my 8 shot .357 N frame.
Old August 7, 2013, 08:46 PM   #53
BurgerBoy

I carry a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact, 9mm, every day year round.
Self Defense Stories
Old August 7, 2013, 09:40 PM   #54
Special Projects

Re: Do you vary which gun you carry?

I tend to carry a 3" 1911 in moderate weather, a 4.25" in cold weather, and a G30 when I'm sweating all over the place!
Old August 9, 2013, 01:01 AM   #55
ZVP

I almost always have my Model 36 with me rother in a backpack or holster.For discreet carry I sometimes carry my Cobra .38 derringer or for max discretio either a beretta 21A .22 or a tiny Davis .22 derringer Size does matter when going smallthese are the smallest guns I can control.
BPDave
Old August 9, 2013, 11:31 AM   #56
Hunter Customs

I carry a custom commander in 45acp 99% of the time, however on rare occasions I will carry my K-40 I won shooting competition years back.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old August 11, 2013, 01:10 PM   #57
Cosmodragoon

Yes, I vary what I carry depending on my outfit, what I'm doing, and the weather. Obviously, winter clothes tend to be bulkier than summer clothes. Bulkier clothes tend to allow for a greater range of concealment. As guns get smaller and more concealable; some combination of capacity, caliber, comfortable power limits, and available features is usually on the table for compromise. Having a decent selection of carry options will help you to have the most effective tool possible, God forbid that you ever need it.
Old August 11, 2013, 01:47 PM   #58
Microgunner

I carry many different handguns at different times based primarilly on whim, and occasionally on deep concealment concerns.

I own them, I want to carry them.
Old August 11, 2013, 03:17 PM   #59
psyfly

^^^ I like that. To quote the TV character, Dr. Sheldon Cooper, "What's life without whimsy?".

In the past few months I have carried:

Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum, OC in OWB holster @ 3:00 (Working on my property) rarely.

SA Mil-Spec, .45 ACP, Mexican-carry from the house to the truck/car where it is placed in the passenger seat pocket.

For daily choice, one of these:

Kahr PM9 or Charter Arms Bulldog Pug, each in the same Don Hume OWB in cross-draw under polo shirt.

Pocket: NAA Guardian .32, S&W 340 PD with .38spls
Shirt pocket: NAA Mini .22 short.

Best,

W
Old August 11, 2013, 07:19 PM   #60
horselips

My everyday concealed carry gun for urban and social scenes is my NAA Mini-Revolver in .22WMR. For road trips, and to keep in my luggage in hotel/resort rooms, I usually pack my S&W 386 Sc/S .357 Magnum, or my Charter .44 Bulldog. For outdoorsy use like camping or hiking, where I might encounter assorted unpleasant critters, I choose between a S&W Model 29, Colt New Service Target, .45Colt, or Webley MK.VI., .45ACP. I prefer revolvers like the Colt and Model 29 because I can load both snake shot and bear loads in the same cylinder. That's cool. I carry the Webley when I'm only worried about snakes and people. Not too many bear loads in .45ACP to choose from.

My all-time favorite for packing in the wilderness has always been the Colt New Service Target, but since it's 93 years old, I have sort of semi-retired it.

Come to think of it, I don't really use my autoloaders for anything except fun, collecting and shooting.
Old August 12, 2013, 08:56 PM   #61
colbad

Although I have several suitables for cc, I stay with those that support my training and muscle memory. For instance, I never carry a FA with a manual safety. 25+ years of training and daily carry muscle memory will always take control in a stress situation. As such I stay with either a Sig, Glock or S&W revolver. All my auto carry is .40 (Sig 229, Sig 239, G27) or .38 5 shot in the pocket. Going into harms way I will bring something like G23 or Sig 229.

The fancy 1911 is fun to shoot or show off at a BBQ, it is not something I have trained with under stress and therefore would not intentionally take into harms way. Hope this helps.

Last edited by colbad; August 14, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old August 14, 2013, 07:36 AM   #62
bikerbill

At home or walking the dog, there's an NAA Pug in my front pocket always. If I'm out in the car, going anywhere, my Kahr PM9 has been my go-to EDC for nine years of no-failure perfection. Just got an XDs .45 and will probably go to that when I can wear something to cover it on my belt. Got rid of the j-frame that used to be in the rotation; I do occasionally carry a Kimber UCII, again if I'm wearing something I can cover it with ... don't like IWB, so that's not an option. I have nice leather holsters for the Kimber and soon (waiting for delivery) for the Springer. I use a kydex paddle for the Kahr.
Old August 14, 2013, 07:50 AM   #63
kln4

I carry my XD40 or my Sig 229 all the time. After I had lower back surgery last year I had to switch to OWB or shoulder rig. My biggest problem was getting a decent shoulder rig that wouldn't stretch. Ended making one.
Old August 14, 2013, 09:49 AM   #64
doofus47

I'm reducing my logistic overhead, so I'm replacing my 9x18 Bulgie Mak that i've been carrying with a 9mm compact. I've been rotating my new XDS/9mm and Ruger SR9c to see which one works better.

Eventually, I"ll settle on one of the two and stick to it as a primary. I like the crap out of both, though, so I intend to keep both.
Old August 14, 2013, 12:54 PM   #65
Nick_C_S

I'm in the process of getting my carry permit (California). I've been around long enough to know that things often go work out as planned, but I plan on carrying my Kahr CW9 in the summer; and my Glock 29SF in the winter.

We'll see how it goes.
Old August 15, 2013, 12:16 AM   #66
9mmfan

I carried a lot more often before we moved, new job in new town has a no weapons policy. Always at work, and most other times it was a Glock 19. Occasionally around town I would pack a 642. IWB sometimes, but usually that one was in a pocket. I mean, if I was going to go to all the trouble to put on a holster, might as well have the Glock.

When we are out in the country on private land, wandering around will most likely be done with my Cimarron Model P in .45 Colt.
Old September 12, 2013, 04:31 PM   #67
Amendtwo

Yes - often. There is usually a KT .380 or .32 in my RF pants pocket, and a Taurus .38 in a bag that rides in the car with me (along with cell phone, flashlight, meds, etc).
I have been trying a tuckable IWB holster recently (with a S&W 3913). With cooler weather coming, a sweater will cover an IWB or OWB, so the choices will be the S&W 9mm, a S&W 642 (.38), S&W 640 (.357) or a Glock 23 (.40).
When traveling to Maine this fall, there will be a Ruger SP101 (.357 with 3" barrel) in a case with spare ammo, in addition to whatever is on my hip.
Old September 13, 2013, 06:59 AM   #68
Deja vu

99% of the time I carry a S&W 640 ina pocket holster. But for times when am cruising the beach wearing only a speedo to cover my old hairy pasty white body I carry an NAA Mini in 22 short because I can CCW that thing with just a speedo.

the mini also works well at the gym.

LOL

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 13, 2013, 11:10 AM   #69
Glenn E. Meyer

I have a NAA 22S and I think we need a new infraction for generating horrible mental images = . That one hit too close to home.

Shorts and hot weather - a J frame. Other times - Glock 9 and cover garment.

I do have a NAA 22 mag and an LCp for getting the mail or lounging around the house.

While not mention, in around the house causal - I throw a small Surefire and a small Spyderco in my pocket. Both of these get used quite a lot as tools.
Old September 14, 2013, 12:22 AM   #70
BIG P

Big 45 auto fan But I do change around to 9mm,10mm,357,44,454 just cuzz I can.
Old September 16, 2013, 07:02 AM   #71
Closing The Gap

I vary all the time, but I also am at the range practicing with them a few hours a day 4-5 times a week all year.