The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 24, 2013, 06:25 AM   #26
Husqvarna

or a Baikal, the mc models were created for soviet olympic shooters, one of the used his for close to 30 years in training and competing
Old February 24, 2013, 07:36 AM   #27
mr.t7024

Good cheap O/U?

There are many older ones, but for new, Buy a Stoeger, I have one in .410 and sold them for Bass Pro in MA. I have no complaints with mine or the ones I sold. Cliff
Old February 24, 2013, 11:52 AM   #28
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I want to buy made in the USA or Italy.
The only US maker of an O/U at this time is CSMC, and his START at $8000, not $800. Remember, not all Italian named guns are made in Italy. They have certain brands that are made to price points so they will use Turkey, Brazil, and other places with low labor costs, so check where the ones you are interested are made in.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:52 PM   #29
rcase1234

I thought the Ruger Red Labels were made in the USA? I realize they aren't made anymore but I hear rumors of Ruger starting to produce a new line of O/U's
Old February 24, 2013, 01:16 PM   #30
BigD_in_FL

Red Labels WERE made here. They are out of production and were fraught with a lot of quality issues. I had one in 28. Three trips back to Ruger in the first 6 months and away it went.

It takes money to make a good O/U or SxS. Poorly made cheap ones have issues with triggers doubling, gritty triggers, FTF, barrels shooting to completely different POIs, etc. The labor involved to make a good one makes the cost for an inexpensive one made here prohibitive - which is why Ruger's SxS the Gold Label didn't stay around long - they couldn't make it to the quality level they wanted at the price point they wanted.

S&W had a SxS made in Turkey - VERY well made and some are still around. Another importer, operating under the name Dickinson is importing them - both o/u and sxs typically sold at Cabela's - they are worth a look