The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2011, 04:15 AM   #1
shootsitall

need help with steelshot ??s

I am new to reloading shotshells,and so far have only loaded a couple hundred rounds with the shot that came with my used Steelmaster.
With hunting season comming up I am lookin for some help with a good "hard"steelshot
to use for duck and goose as well as some smaller game and birds. I am pretty sure that the pattern will probally mean a lot more than the shot type for these game, but am lookin for everything that can improve our "got 'ems". I have seen several diffrent shots, such asreclaimed,magnum,nickel plated,ect...
Being the newbie that I am could someone please help to explain the pros/cons of these on the birds(if there are any), and maybe your favorite brands of steelshot(almost all will be shot over water) or places to buy it.
Will be loading these for several buddys and myself so might be lookin at 500or more pounds at a time.
As a bonus maybe throw in ur favorite recipe for Red dot powder and Winchester AA hulls(or some others if you like them better). We all shoot 3 or 3.5inch 12guages.
Any help or advice with this would be a huge help.
And thank you for all the great info I've read here to get me to this point. Tons of great advice from y'all have spared me a lot of headaches.