The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 6, 2008, 08:15 PM   #26
HPH

Hatcher Gun Company makes them.

Here is his website: Hatcher Gun Company

I've seen his guns, and they are nicely done.
Old August 10, 2008, 01:08 PM   #27
Stan_TheGunNut

If cost is important to you, it's likely far cheaper to just buy a Remington or Stoeger double, get the 200 SBS tax stamp, and chop the barrels yourself.

The Stoeger: MSRP $369+$200 stamp ~$600 total.
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...coach_guns.php

Remington Spartan: about the same total price as above.
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...de-by-side.asp
Old August 11, 2008, 12:11 PM   #28
Blazerman

SBS legality

i have a question concerning short barrel shotguns. would i need a class 2 ffl to legally modify a shotgun to a sawnoff? is there still a limit to how many rounds it can carry? i'm interested in purchasing a Sentinel Arms Striker 12 destructive device, a.k.a. "streetsweeper", from www.impactguns.com for 1,499.99. this weapon has a drum magazine and appears to hold at least 30 rounds. there is a disclaimer that says the weapon is available for civilian ownership and that all NFA rules apply. my final question is, if i modify my own shotgun, is there an advantage to leaving it with a full choke, or should i use an improved or modified, and, if so, would it be possible to machine the barrel for interchangeable chokes? any and all answers and info would be helpful, thanks
Old August 11, 2008, 01:01 PM   #29

"i have a question concerning short barrel shotguns. would i need a class 2 ffl to legally modify a shotgun to a sawnoff? NO is there still a limit to how many rounds it can carry? NOi'm interested in purchasing a Sentinel Arms Striker 12 destructive device, a.k.a. "streetsweeper", from www.impactguns.com for 1,499.99. this weapon has a drum magazine and appears to hold at least 30 rounds. there is a disclaimer that says the weapon is available for civilian ownership and that all NFA rules apply. my final question is, if i modify my own shotgun, is there an advantage to leaving it with a full choke, or should i use an improved or modified, and, if so, would it be possible to machine the barrel for interchangeable chokes? YES any and all answers and info would be helpful, thanks"

You would have also gotten extra credit for capitalizing words correctly.

I have a question on this "Streetsweeper". Originally it was NOT an NFA weapon. One day, ATF decided that it was now an AOW and required it's owners to register it as such. I don't know what the original barrel length was, but it was obviously long enough to not require a tax stamp. So, now it's 2008 and you buy a "Streetsweeper" along with the AOW tax stamp. What if you want to cut the barrel off to 12" (or whatever) ?
I would assume it would now have to be registered as a SBS since it has a stock and the barrel is 12" (or whatever). But, how do you handle the fact that it is already in the NFA registry as an AOW ?
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old August 14, 2008, 07:08 AM   #30
djturnz

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about building or buying an SBS (Short Barrelled Shotgun)
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=80131

Here is a picture of mine, taken with crappy light.

12.5" barrel

That hatcher site, even sells a holster for a SxS.

I believe the STREETSWEEPER was classified as a Destructive Device, because it has a bore over .500" and serves no sporting purpose.

I've read that there is a .410 version that was never reclassified.
Old August 14, 2008, 07:15 AM   #31

I don't know, you may be right. Afterall, none of these firearms laws make any sense to me. You would think that if the bore diameter was an issue then the bore diameter of every other 12 guage shotgun in the country would be an isssue. But again, this stuff doesn't really have to be logical for it to be a law. In fact, the opposite is more often the case.
Old August 15, 2008, 12:32 AM   #32
TxGun

If a double is not an absolute must and cost is not a big issue, here is an alternative that requires only a $5 tax stamp:

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php
Old September 1, 2008, 01:26 PM   #33
diginit

Quote:
Bill DeShivs

If you're wondering why no one has responded to your post, it's because you have no idea what you are talking about.
I know there only 2 legal SBS here in Cali, 410 ga. :barf: It's tough to get anything good here. Especially a license. Too many state and local laws. But I don't expect you to know about that. Besides, if you can't hit your target with a modified choke, A sawed barrel won't help. Unless you just can't shoot or enjoy killing innocent bystanders. If you are worried about confined spaces, Use a handgun.
Old September 1, 2008, 01:39 PM   #34
Bill DeShivs

To my knowledge, shortening a shotgun barrel (within limits) is not illegal anywhere. It's simple gunsmithing. There is no law that says the gun must have a sight.
But nothing would surprise me in California.
Old September 1, 2008, 02:38 PM   #35
Scattergun Bob

Bill

You are correct, no requirement for cutting barrels to legal minimums. No requirement for front sight. Make sure that we meet overall minimum and barrel minimum, and its OK

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old September 1, 2008, 03:42 PM   #36
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
I have a question on this "Streetsweeper". Originally it was NOT an NFA weapon. One day, ATF decided that it was now an AOW and required it's owners to register it as such. I don't know what the original barrel length was, but it was obviously long enough to not require a tax stamp. So, now it's 2008 and you buy a "Streetsweeper" along with the AOW tax stamp. What if you want to cut the barrel off to 12" (or whatever) ?
I would assume it would now have to be registered as a SBS since it has a stock and the barrel is 12" (or whatever). But, how do you handle the fact that it is already in the NFA registry as an AOW ?
The Streetsweeper is registered as a Destructive Device (DD), not an AOW. The barrel can be whatever length you desire.
Old September 1, 2008, 04:47 PM   #37

A little wrinkle I never thought of.

FWIW: I don't own one and have no desire to own one, but that question stumped me.
Old September 2, 2008, 04:32 AM   #38
zippy13

Remember Ruby Ridge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.j
I really want a sawed off shotgun...
Sawed-Off Shotgun -- Remember Ruby Ridge!
If you don't remember, or are too young... The 1992 Ruby Ridge Massacre of the Randy Weaver family is one of the most controversial and widely discussed examples of the abuse of federal power. This case began after Randy Weaver was entrapped, as an Idaho jury concluded, by an undercover Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms agent to sell him sawed-off shotguns.

You definitely don't want to make any mistakes in the paperwork. You may really want a sawed-off shotgun, but do you really want your name in the fed's computer? If I'm not mistaken, submitting sawed-off shotgun paperwork is probable cause for law enforcement to drop by for a visit at any time.
Old September 2, 2008, 07:22 AM   #39
Bill DeShivs

Zippy
You are mistaken, and very wrong.
Old September 2, 2008, 10:06 AM   #40

"If I'm not mistaken, submitting sawed-off shotgun paperwork is probable cause for law enforcement to drop by for a visit at any time."

You are mistaken. This is an internet rumor that is compeltely and totally false with not a shread of truth. Some things just never die.
Old September 2, 2008, 10:20 AM   #41
zippy13

Oops..

Thanks, I stand corrected. Perhaps I was thinking of something California specific -- I'm a little skid-dish ever since they required me to register my Colt target rifle as an assault weapon.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:58 AM   #42
TENWHEELER

Short Barrel Shotgun Manufacturer

I have included a link to a gentleman who has a license to produce the SBS. He starts with a Baikal shotgun and makes it look really nice. He is located in Boaz, Ky., which is about 20 minutes south of Paducah, Ky.

http://classifieds.vci.net/

Click on the firearms category and then on the link under the Pro section that reads "Baikal Short Barrel Shotgun".

Jonathan
Old May 31, 2009, 01:20 PM   #43
Willie Lowman

This thread should be in the NFA section.

Quote:
this weapon has a drum magazine and appears to hold at least 30 rounds.
The Striker/Street Sweeper is a revolving shotgun and it holds 12 shells. The "drum" is a cylinder with a spring around it. When fired the cylinder rotates under spring pressure and fires sort of like a double action revolver. It is loaded/unloaded like a single action revolver then the drum spring is wound so it will rotate when the trigger is pulled.