The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2014, 01:09 AM   #1
Seeker

.45 LC

Hello Folks,

Can I reload .45 LC with black powder?

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old June 11, 2014, 01:31 AM   #2
chris in va

It was originally a BP cartridge, so I don't see why not. The other guys can give details.
Old June 11, 2014, 08:16 AM   #3
salvadore

I've loaded a lot of 45 Colts with pyrodex. I got best results using a thin fiber disk between bullet and powder and I always seated the bullet right on top of the powder or maybe compressing it a bit. The real BP shooters warn against leaving any space between bullet and powder.
Old June 11, 2014, 10:30 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Also be aware that you will not get the original 40gr of black powder into a modern solid head .45 Colt case. About 38gr is all that will fit, and that takes using all the "tricks" to get it all in. The original "balloon head" cases can hold a little more powder than modern solid head brass.

Don't load black powder "light" (reduced load), and don't leave air space between the powder and the bullet. Doing so is a poor idea, as black powder doesn't "ignite" like smokeless, it kind of "detonates".

Less than full density, or leaving air space in the case can lead to ...unpredictable results. Possibly bad ones.
Old June 11, 2014, 10:48 AM   #5
zxcvbob

Fill it almost to the top with BP, then compress it with the bullet. If you're using commercial cast bullets (with lube intended for smokeless powder) it couldn't hurt to put a little disk of beeswax* over the powder before you seat the bullet.

*they sell sheets of the stuff for making bee hive starter combs, and at craft stores for rolling up to make candles.
Old June 11, 2014, 04:18 PM   #6
rclark

Quote:
Can I reload .45 LC with black powder?
Does a fish swim? Yes, you can.... I use Triple-7 in mine. Mainly because I can load it with normal smoke-less lubed bullets and no wads. I found 23g (by weight) of 777 made a dandy smokey load under 250g RNFP. Around 900fps too for a decent velocity.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old June 12, 2014, 06:44 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

TTake a look....

....at my post over on the CAS forum "back to the shootin shack" or something like that.

Comparison of a full load of Pyrodex and a full load of Triple 7 (FFg) in .45LC also a comparison of a Winchester 73 with 30 inch barrel versus a Cattleman in 5.5inch barrel.

I made the mistake last year of loading some rounds with Triple 7 FFFg and then realized it might overpressure the firearm.