The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 10, 2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Prof Young

Don't like my Simmons 4X32 scope.

Gear Nuts:
So I put a Simmons 4X32 pistol scope on my new S&W 22a and it is very hard to acquire the target much less find the cross hairs. I don't know if it's too much power or just a poorly designed scope. I do know I'm not buying any scope ever again that I haven't actually held in my hands and looked through it.
Live Well, be safe
Prof Young
Old August 11, 2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Te Anau

Can I assume you got a long eye relief scope?
Old August 11, 2011, 03:10 PM   #3
chadstrickland

Most scopes are made so your eye has to be about 2 or 3 inches away from the back of the scope to see through it clearly. And another thing, if you buy cheap scopes you will get poor results.
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old August 13, 2011, 01:51 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

Which Simmons 4X32 pistol scope? Eye relief on a Prohunter is 11 to 12 inches. Some of 'em have 20" eye relief.
Mind you, Simmons scopes are serviceable, but low end.
"...Most scopes are made so..." Rifle scopes, yes, but not handgun scopes.
Old August 13, 2011, 05:41 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Simmons isn't exactly known for their great products. They are usually servicable but not much more than that.
Old August 13, 2011, 10:43 AM   #6
GURU1911

T/c pistol scopes

Want to guess which optics company made the pistol scopes sold under the t/c brand for several decades? Simmons !!!!!!!

However, the quality of these top-tier long eye relief pistol scopes was the very best that simmons was capable of producing---no shortcuts were taken. I got this info straight from the texan (rip) who did the majority of practical r&d for mr. Thompson & mr. Center.

Want to know who my source was??? None other than clyde edgar fischer of victoria, tx. He died in july 2001.

Want to guess who makes the scopes & binoculars sold in this country under the "pentax" brand ????? Burris !!!!!!!

My personal experiences with simmons rifle scopes have been very positive, so long as you purchase one of their more expensive top-end models. However, my all time favorite brand of scope if you can afford one, are made by "burris" in greeley, co.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old August 13, 2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Hawg

The older Simmons made in the Philippines were very good scopes. The new ones made in Taiwan not so good.
Old August 13, 2011, 01:26 PM   #8
GURU1911

MR. HAWG

I totally agree with you. From 1980 to 1999, i installed a lot of simmons scopes on friends & family rifles. Everyone was either the "white-tail classic" or the "atec" models. They were all price close to the $200 price bracket. They all had 1/4 minute positive click adjustments that proved accurate movement on the paper @ 100 yards. If you moved 4 clicks, the tape measure proved the impact point had moved 1 inch. The only other brand of scope i saw that did that was "burris".

They are were installed using burris / leupold two-piece bases & low mount rings. The rings were also aligned & lapped with a sinclair lapping bar.

Everyone of those scopes held zero adjustments on calibers as large as .300 mags & not one jumped-zero after being dialed in. They never fogged nor water-logged during the wet louisiana hunting season.

Yes, the filipino simmons line was top-notch for the $$$$$ spent.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"