The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 25, 2010, 05:56 PM   #1
kx592

gas VS inertia

Just wondering what your opinions are on which type of operation you prefer in your shotguns. This can be for hunting or skeet, purpose doesn't matter, simply what do you prefer and why, what experiences (good or bad) have you had with which.
Old August 25, 2010, 06:05 PM   #2
oneounceload

Gas guns tend to be a little heavier than a comparable inertia gun. That means the ACTUAL recoil will be less. The gas action also means the PERCEIVED recoil will be less (assuming the gun fit is the same). They are more complicated mechanisms, which means more cleaning and possibly more repairs due to more parts. Most of the current models come with shims to allow some bit of stock-fit tweaking.

For targets, I prefer a heavier gun, and I can get a gas gun to function with light loads whereas the inertia guns have trouble when you start getting into light 7/8 or 3/4 oz loads in 12 gauge
Old August 25, 2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Doyle

You'll get more recoil reduction from gas. Older gas operated guns got kind of a bad reputation from the Rem 1000's in that the gas ports needed to be regularly cleaned and the O-ring replaced. People who were heavy "dirty"users (like waterfowlers) went to the Benelli inertia for their reliability. The newest generation of gas operated autos from Browning/Winchester (same gun with different cosmetics) are supposed to be very trouble free and the softest shooting.
Old August 25, 2010, 06:12 PM   #4
BigJimP

I like the Inertia because it shoots cleaner than the gas guns. It makes it more reliable in my opinion / if I'm in a position where I will or want to shoot 250 - 500 ...or more rounds in one day without having to clean it. The Inertia guns are also quicker to clean ( maybe 10 min at the most / and put them back into service.

But I only like an Inertia gun / if it has some type of recoil supression system in it / or it gives you a lot more recoil than a gas gun. In a wood stock / with no recoil supression - the Inertia system will probably give you 25% more recoil than a gas gun.

The Inertia system I prefer is Benelli / and their gun I find the most versatile is the "Super Sport" in 12 or 20ga. Its a very light gun / so I will typically add about 1 lb to it / so it swings more fluidly for me ...otherwise I would find the light gun a negative issue ( Super Sport is about 7.2 lbs in 12ga and a 30" barrel ). The super sport models - are synthetic - and have what Benelli calls the "comfort tech" recoil supression system in them.

I've had the Benelli Super Sport's in 12ga and 20ga for about 5 yrs / and I like them a lot. Its only my opinion / but I think the SuperSport is a faster cycling gun than most gas guns - especially the older systems like the Rem 1100's - but my tests are not scientific.

One rap on the Inertia guns - is people claim they won't shoot real light loads - but my Super Sports will cycle loads in 12ga of 7/8 oz as long as its at 1200 fps or more. It will not cycle a 7/8 oz load at 1150 fps .../ same on the 20ga version / the shells need to be 1200 fps .....but to me that is an "average load" not a heavy load.
Old August 25, 2010, 06:39 PM   #5
JNewell

One possibly minor or possibly major point depending on your needs and preferences. Inertia guns can become finicky if you alter the gun's total weight, for example by adding a combination of accessories such as a flashlight and a sidesaddle carrier.
Old August 25, 2010, 09:02 PM   #6
jmr40

Depends on the primary use. Both are excellent designs that work well. I prefer the inertia because the guns are lighter, point quicker for me and are simple to take down and clean. I'm primarily a hunter who often covers a lot of miles in a day.

If I shot more rounds at the shooting games I'm sure I'd prefer the heavier, softer shooting gas guns.
Old August 26, 2010, 03:38 PM   #7
zippy13

>This can be for hunting or skeet, purpose doesn't matter

Ah, but it does matter. A gun that works well for Skeet will also work well in the field. I think you'll find that Skeet shooters who hunt have more success than hunters who shoot an occasional round of Skeet.

I know I'll probably ruffle up some folk's feathers (but, they probably don't read the forum, anyway) in my experience many so called hunters are abominable shots. We've all seen folks who miss the easiest of shots because they really don't have much trigger time under their belts.

It never fails, every year some field shooters (I won't call them hunters) come out to the gun club to practice for hunting season. They shoot a round or two of trap and Skeet and figure they are ready for opening day. They don't take into consideration they got only a few clays and mostly shot holes in the sky. Their performance in the field isn't going to be much better.

How can they improve their shotgunning skills?… with a lot more time with the clays. How to best utilize their clay time?… with a gun designed for clay work.

If you're an accomplished shooter, then a light inertia gun will be fine for the limited time you'll have in the field. If you're a developing shooter, then a soft shooting gas gun is your better choice because you'll be shooting more practice than hunting. YMMV
Old August 26, 2010, 04:48 PM   #8
BigJimP

I'm with Zippy on this one .....

Shooting Skeet -- will really improve your Quail hunting ...because the little buggers are quick and I seem to see a lot of crossing shots..

Shooting Trap ---will really improve your Pheasant hunting / because the birds tend to rise / then turn their wings and head downrange...

Shooting Sporting Clays or 5 Stand ....will help you "read" a birds flight in the field / let you lock onto your leads and make any follow-up shots a lot faster ...and a lot more sucessful..

and personally, I shoot the same model gun for Skeet, Sporting and in the Field ...( it works ) ..
Old August 26, 2010, 04:53 PM   #9
BigJimP

These days -- the gas guns are a lot better than they were 40 yrs ago ....and even the gas guns shoot a wider variety of shells better, they cycle faster - and they shoot cleaner with better technology ...than they ever did.

I still prefer the Benelli Inertia systems / if or when I shoot a semi-auto ....but even an old dog like me, might try another gas gun down the road ... ( like a Beretta UGB or something ...maybe ...) ??

http://www.berettausa.com/shop-by-de...emiautomatics/
Old August 26, 2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Scorch

Well, from a reliability perspective, gas guns tend to foul and jam after several hundred shots. Inertia-operated will work no matter what, as long as you have recoil.
Old August 26, 2010, 06:20 PM   #11
oneounceload

Quote:
as long as you have recoil.
So shoulder damage instead of cleaning is what you recommend?

Gas guns will always have less actual and felt recoil due to weight and gas action
Old August 26, 2010, 08:15 PM   #12
mete

Shoulder damage ?? Are you all wimps ?? My Benelli M1 90 is 7.25 lbs .I've used it for hunting and many a sporting clays match .Light enough for easy carry through the woods and recoil low enough for matches .I've used my Beretta O/U also for hunting and clays .It's also 7.25 lbs and that doesn't break my shoulder either !!!
Old August 27, 2010, 06:15 AM   #13
jmr40

I'm with mete on this one. I've owned them all, gas, inertia, doubles and pumps. The whole recoil thing is way over rated. Unless you are shooting some of the heavy 3" turkey loads there is very little noticeable difference. Even then the newer recoil pads do a lot to bring the other guns pretty close to the gas guns.

I sold all my gas operated guns after buying the Benelli. It gives me the simplicity and lighter weight of the pump, with the speed of an auto. While I know that theoretically is is supposed to kick more, I've never noticed it.
Old August 27, 2010, 06:22 AM   #14
RUT

>>The whole recoil thing is way over rated.<<

And usually touted by those who've never owned or shot an inertia gun. I use my Benelli autos (12 & 20) exclusively for clay shooting, and am not bothered by recoil in the least. And when it comes time to cleaning, you just can't beat 'em.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:21 AM   #15
jmortimer

The fastest shot gun in the world is the gas operated Winchester SX3 and Patrick Flannigan the fastest shootgun shooter in the world will go a couple thousand rounds between cleanings and will put over a couple hundred thousand rounds on his "show" guns. I don't think reliability is an issue with the FN/Winchester/Browning design. It is faster and has less recoil and is reliable.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:33 AM   #16
oneounceload

Quote:
Shoulder damage ?? Are you all wimps
As you age, you'll understand what I am talking about.
Old August 27, 2010, 11:10 AM   #17
BigJimP

I like the inertia guns / with the comfort tech system in them to absorb some of the recoil .../but I'm not a fan of the inertia guns without it. On my Trap guns, I use a GraCoil system as well - to absorb some of the recoil.

But OneOunce is right / over time Recoil is an issue - and the experts say its cumulative. I don't shoot any "heavy loads" these days ...shoulder, wrist and hand issues ...just make them plain out uncomfortable ...and there is no reason to use anything over 1 oz loads on most clay target presentations.

Same thing on handguns ....I can shoot a 1911 .45 acp all day / but I'm better if I shoot a 1911 in 9mm all day ...and I get better use out of my training.

Recoil is not a good thing .....and its smart to manage it the best you can with your equipment / guns, the right loads, a good vest, etc ..