The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 1, 2013, 07:35 PM   #1
lordhedgwich

value of 2 1851 navy colts

I have 2 1851 navy colts that i got for cheap trading one is a pietta made in italy the other doesnt say anything besides "1851 navy colt" on the cylinder One of them had some bad sratches around the pin from someone taking it apart otherwise it is fine and the other has a problem with the cylinder it wont rotate when the hammer is cocked unless the Gun is pointing down. Anyway i got these thinking i might fix them up and get into black powders, but i have had them for almost a year and need some money so i thought i might sell them. I was hoping to get 150.00 for both, but all the offers i was getting were like 50-80. I was also selling them with powder, caps, balls, and a holster for one of them I just feel like those offers were really low. I know what the guns sell for new I was just hoping you guys could help me out a little here

Old November 1, 2013, 11:13 PM   #2
maillemaker

These are probably .44 caliber? If so, they've got two strikes against them: 1, they are brass framed, which the originals were not, and 2, they are .44 caliber, and the originals were .36.

I bought two of these at Walmart in blister packs with starter gear for like $150 each many years ago.

Lodgewood is looking to buy these - they are using the barrel and lock pieces to make some Civil War era gun for which these would be appropriate. You might do better selling them to them.

Steve
Old November 1, 2013, 11:17 PM   #3
maillemaker

Here they are new from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Piett...h-All+Products

$180.

Given the finish and mechanical issues I think $100-$150 sounds reasonable.

Steve
Old November 1, 2013, 11:47 PM   #4
ivankerley

the top one is a copy of an 1860, round barrel improved rammer (although not historically correct).
both being brass framed youd have to keep the powder charges low, agreed it looks like somebody beat the snot out of the wedge on the '51...
given that theyre brassers and well loved personally $150 might be on the high end as a new brass pietta can be had for not much more. sometimes dumping a bunch of parts and money into them would cost more than to buy one new, especially since youre not sure the manufacture on the '60
good luck though
Gene
Old November 2, 2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Hawg

The 51 is made by Pietta but it's a .44 with a brass frame. The hand spring is broken but that's an easy fix for somebody familiar with them. I would think somebody here would give 150.00 for everything you have there even tho the powder horn is a cheapie with no filler plug and probably not airtight. 150 apiece? No way.
Old November 2, 2013, 11:24 AM   #6
lordhedgwich

"The 51 is made by Pietta but it's a .44 with a brass frame. The hand spring is broken but that's an easy fix for somebody familiar with them. I would think somebody here would give 150.00 for everything you have there even tho the powder horn is a cheapie with no filler plug and probably not airtight. 150 apiece? No way."

150 for all haha. I no they arnt worth 150 apiece and i ended up selling them last night for 100 bucks for everything which i was happy with. I was hopping for a little more but considering there condition i wasnt upset and i got them pretty much for free.
Old November 2, 2013, 12:19 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Check the top one - is it a .36 caliber? What's the barrel length? - if it's 7 1/2" it is a copy of a 1861 Navy - not Army. If it has an 8 " barrel and is .44, it's a copy of a 1860 Army. From what I'm seeing - it looks like a Navy?

As you already know - they are brass frame - originals were steel.

Value? What ever someone is willing to pay. If you're looking to get rid of them - I'd put 'em on some auction site like Gun Broker - it seems like people get carried away there at times and pay a lot more than they are worth. Also, if you're looking to part with them - break them up into parts and sell 'em on eBay. I just sold most of an old brass frame kit - a Remmie - on eBay - broke it up into parts and just smiled - the parts brought more than the price of a new one that was finished. Almost gives a person the motivation to buy 'em new and part 'em out - people go way nuts sometimes and don't use common sense.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 2, 2013, 12:56 PM   #8
lordhedgwich

no they are both .44s. and i already got rid of them. Let them go for cheap