The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 17, 2008, 09:59 PM   #1
BrassSlinger

Need advice on attaching SureFire light to AR15 carbine

I have a rail system on my ar15 that I would like to attach an Defender SureFire light too. I want to attach a pressure sensitive switch to the light and run the switch down the forward grip thats attached to my rail. I also would like to remove the light from the weapon when its not needed. How can I accomplish this?

Here are the models I am interested in using.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...1132/sesent/00
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...4437/sesent/00
Old July 17, 2008, 10:41 PM   #2
MisterWilson

It's kinda tricky to do the easy on/easy off trick when you've got the tape switch running through a vert grip.

Unless you've tried it and are sure you like it, I wouldn't even recommend the tape switch. I've had both the rail and vert grip mounted tape switches and I've always gone back to pressure mounted.

Surefire tapeswitch, didn't like it, wasn't positive and crowded the rail.

Mounted without the tapeswitch w/ a vert grip. It was okay, a different tailcap would have helped in addition to having it lower & more accessible.

Sweetspot. Natural & intuitive. Easy to activate & control.

If I had to do it all over again (and didn't get an unbelievable deal on Scout lights), I'd get the G2 and put it in a Vltor or LaRue mount, depending on whether or not you were still going to run the Vert grip. And not the $60 G2 LED, but the $35 incandescent G2, and buy a 290 lumen LED upgrade to put in it for $20.

Hope that helped.
Old July 17, 2008, 11:00 PM   #3
BrassSlinger

Great thanks for the response thats what I was looking for. I like the idea of using the offset scout mount with the vertical grip near so I could turn it on with my thumb instead of the tape switch. But lets say I wanted to use the tape switch later, what tape switch would be needed for the SureFire lights? Where would I buy it?

Thanks much
Old July 17, 2008, 11:44 PM   #4
MisterWilson

I don't know exactly what kind you'd need but I know who would know, and have a GREAT price on them.

Kevin & Calvin @ www.brightflashlights.com

They come very highly recommended, and for good reason.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:35 AM   #5
john1969

Anyone know how to remove tape switch? Surefire model unknown, painted over. Non LED type. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sure fire 000_0516.jpg (118.6 KB, 15 views)

One Nation Under surveillance...javelin press
Old January 30, 2013, 04:17 AM   #6
jokester_143

Brass, I didn't even bother with the pressure switch, and aligned my surefire to my forward grip. That way I can use my thumb to toggle the light on/off.

(I.E. I am a lefty, so i threw my light on my Right side rail just a mark or two forward of where my grip is located on my lower rail.)

...we had an issue of people accidentally triggering their light when I was deployed, so I started doing it this way as did others.

Tags
surefire ar15 light