The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2008, 07:54 AM   #1
ZeSpectre

Please recommend an inexpensive Chrony

Hey folks,
I'm far enough along in this whole reloading adventure that I've decided a Chronograph would be a good idea. I don't think I want anything especially fancy but I'm open to suggestions and if you folks know why I should need something more "advanced" please let me know.

Thanks
Ze
Old July 24, 2008, 10:00 AM   #2
TEDDY

crony

midsouth has a crony by RCBS for$85.55 also SHOOTING CRONY has some from $82.24 to$164.50.
get the midsouth cat.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:02 PM   #3
tom234

The Shooting Chrony Alpha Master Chronograph works fine for me. It has a really convenient remote reading display & control that you can place on your bench.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...796&t=11082005
Old July 24, 2008, 01:56 PM   #4
ZeSpectre

That "Alpha Master" is a little more than I wanted to spend but boy it sure looks nice!
Old July 24, 2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Wildalaska

I like the...whats it called....the Pact...thats it

WildisthatwhatitscalledAlaska ™
Old July 24, 2008, 02:28 PM   #6
tom234

Quote:
That "Alpha Master" is a little more than I wanted to spend but boy it sure looks nice!
You can go cheap and buy a "reconditioned" Alpha model for $64 + S&H @ http://chrony.ca/
However, I still think the Master model with remote is a lot easier to use. W/O the remote you have to read the display from 8-12' away and to reset you have to get up and go to the display.
Old July 24, 2008, 09:58 PM   #7
bobn

cheap is a good idea with a chronogragh. it had to happen eventually. i shot mine....bobn
Old July 24, 2008, 10:18 PM   #8
arizona98tj

Quote:
cheap is a good idea with a chronogragh. it had to happen eventually. i shot mine.
Which is why the chronograph sits on your shooting bench and the sky screens are out in front of the weapon. If you manage to shoot your chronograph, using this configuration, you have some serious issues with weapons handling.

That being said, I use a PACT....does double duty as a chrono and a range timer. (I get more use out of it as a range timer....once I get a load developed, I don't chrono it every time I go to the range.)
Old July 25, 2008, 07:11 AM   #9
UGH

I have the Master Gamma with the printer. A nice feature to have. I have had no issues it works just fine.
Old July 25, 2008, 09:52 AM   #10
CPTMurdoc30

I have and use a lot the Shooting Chrony F1. I bought it for $79.99 at MidwayUSA. It is a great chrony and works good. It however does not have memory or a display that sits on the bench (Good if you have bad eyes). If I were to do it all over again I would get the Shooting Chrony Alpha Master for an extra $35. This one moves almost all the guts of the chrony to the bench with a 16' cord. So if for some reason you shoot the thing (My biggest worry) then you don't have to replace all the electronics.

PACT makes a very good chrony but it is something like $200+. That to me is not a low cost option for a chrony.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
cheap is a good idea with a chronogragh. it had to happen eventually. i shot mine.
Which is why the chronograph sits on your shooting bench and the sky screens are out in front of the weapon. If you manage to shoot your chronograph, using this configuration, you have some serious issues with weapons handling.

That being said, I use a PACT....does double duty as a chrono and a range timer. (I get more use out of it as a range timer....once I get a load developed, I don't chrono it every time I go to the range.)
I don't know about your range but at mine I try to refraine from looking up because I always count the bullet holes directly above the bench. Every time I do this i get a little sick to my stomach because there is always a few new ones in the tin roof. SCARRY
Old July 25, 2008, 09:15 PM   #11
amamnn

Shooting chrony will be the last expensive I am sure. There are different models that memorize strings differently or in different numers of shots in the string. Go to their site and look at all the features closely, then buy a "MASTER" version from whichever suppier has the best price currently. Personally, the Beta master fits me needs best as it memorizes 6 - 10 shot strings I can DL into my computer via the Chrony ballistics II program.
Old July 26, 2008, 12:22 AM   #12
totalloser

"cheap is a good idea with a chronogragh. it had to happen eventually. i shot mine....bobn"

Aw have a sense of humor folks. I can think of a few ways this could happen without being unsafe with your firearm. You ARE practically shooting at the thing anyhow. Very good reason to wear shooting glasses, though.
Old July 27, 2008, 04:41 AM   #13
steyrl

Chronographs

I use an F1 chrony with the Printer. If my memory serves me, the printer was more expensive than the chrony. BUT, now that I've gotten used to using the chronograph/chrony printer I can re-set the chrony using the printer without having to wait for a target change to go forward of the firing line and switch the chrony off and back on. I get all the information printed out for me Lo High Average Standard Deviation and extreme spread which I then staple to the target. And the more you use a chrony the quicker and more confident you become in its set up. It took me quite some time to get over the concern about putting a shot into the chrony.

I believ the F1 chrony is the cheaper of the range.
Old July 27, 2008, 09:14 AM   #14
armoredman

I have a Chrony F1 I never use. I've reloaded for a few years, and for some reason never really used it but once, when I shot a sky screen off. Replaced the rod, and there it sits...
Old July 27, 2008, 11:07 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

practical

Buy one with brains separate from skyscreens.

(I own and use a PACT; for years....).

(Competitive Edge Dynamics also offers an excellent chronograph; priced around $200.)
Old July 27, 2008, 11:16 AM   #16
nate45

I have a PACT Chrono and a PACT timer, both have worked well so far. My chronograph is the Model 1 the least expensive one, its like $129.00 on Midway now, I paid less than a hundred for mine several years ago.

Here is some info on the Model 1

For sale at Midway $129.99
Old July 27, 2008, 12:53 PM   #17
WIN71

I feel the same as Nate45 and WESHOOT2. I bought a similar looking PACT as the one pictured in around 1986. It was bullet proof, pardon the pun, and functioned flawlessly for thousands of recordings, until I ran over it. Don't ask. Anyway, I upgraded to the PACT with the printer and have had a lot of trouble with it. I think I just got a "bad" one. It is at the factory as I type this. I included a light hearted letter when I shipped it. Unless PACT finds some flaw in the machine I really don't expect them to repair or replace it for free. It's only been a little over a month since I shipped it and the business was closed the week of the 21st so I'm not too excited yet.

Last edited by WIN71; July 28, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old July 27, 2008, 07:55 PM   #18
shepherddogs

I've got a ProChrono and a Chrony. The Shooting Chrony sucks but the ProChrono works great.
Old July 28, 2008, 10:34 PM   #19
O6nop

I've been looking for one for a while. Looking at online stores like Cabelas and Midway, the chrony gets consistently good reviews and Pact gets several complaints. It doesn't seem to be the case on this board, tho. I want one with a detachable readout, I think I'll go with the Chrony Alpha Master.
Old July 29, 2008, 06:27 PM   #20
Hook686

A Shooting Chrony F1 Master is currently $99 at:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...+Search224.y=3

This is an Alpha Master without the ability to average a shot series. One is compelled to write down the fps after each shot (this is why the remote screen of the Master version is so useful).

I bought one off midwayusa a few months ago on sale. $79 if I recall correctly. I also have an Alpha Master the remote screen face got a little weather beaten. Shooting Chrony won't sell a face replacement, so I bought the F1 Master.

I am pleased with both units. Watch for a sale.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.