The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 1, 2006, 09:29 PM   #1
Trapp

Ruger M77/50

Well, it seems that I am getting one for x-mas (thanks grandpa!!). Anyone own one? Opinions? Right now you can get them for $189. They have been discontinued (maybe they aren't that great!?), and originally sold for about $500.
Old December 2, 2006, 02:17 AM   #2
arcticap

I don't know how widespread this ignition problem is, but one fellow reports that both he and his friend were having ignition trouble using #11 primers, so he tried a musket conversion and still sometimes need 2 strikes to set the musket cap off. He said Ruger could not help solve the problem, and he wants to try a #209 conversion for it now.
It's difficult to believe that Ruger couldn't or wouldn't fix the problem. I'm curious if others have experienced this, and I hope yours doesn't have this problem. After you get it let us know how it works:

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=16&t=208293
Old December 2, 2006, 06:36 PM   #3
marcseatac

I own 2 Ruger M77 MII rifles one in 30-06 and another in .338 Win Mag, if Ruger made that rifle in the USA and it's going for that price, there is no way on earth you can go wrong. Grandpa is giving you a great gift!

If ignition is the problem use American Pioneer powder, it goes off easier than any other, no problems with #11 caps at all.

Hard to believe that Ruger can't set off a #11 cap, keep it clean!

Last edited by marcseatac; December 2, 2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old December 3, 2006, 08:11 PM   #4
wild willy

Powder won't make a difference the problem is seating the cap on the nipple.Haven't had any problems with mine since going to musket conversion and CCI caps. only misfired rarely with no. 11 s always went off the second time. Mines the hardwood blued one what are the ones for $189 and who has them.If one of the other versions might get one.I have T.C. and Knight like the feel and handling of the Ruger better.
Old December 4, 2006, 04:13 PM   #5
marcseatac

Did your Ruger come with a musket nipple? That is definitely the way to go! Much better than a #11. Maybe even better than a 209. I shoot both and the 209's seem to clog the nipple faster than the musket caps do. The musket caps are just as hot.
Old December 4, 2006, 06:58 PM   #6
wild willy

Ordered it from Ruger. Also I didn't try it but on some other sites people got the No. 11 to work by stoning the angle on the nipple a little
Old December 5, 2006, 04:32 PM   #7
marcseatac

Most of the manufacturer's are discontinuing offering inlines with the nipple package where you get the #11, musket and 209. I recently purchased a Traditions Lightening inline because I found out that they were not being made anymore. It's sweet, camo stock and nickel plate. 24 in barrel and musket cap.

My TC Black Diamond is accurate to a fault and when I shot the Traditions for the first time I was really pleased to find it also is. You never know with CVA or Traditions. But it's a winner!

Last edited by marcseatac; December 6, 2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old February 21, 2007, 10:03 PM   #8
BlackPowderGun

I hope you liked your Ruger M77/50. They have been discontinued, but that didn't mean they're not great.

Old July 15, 2008, 03:23 PM   #9
Arkie743

fix for M77/50 caps snapping on 1st attempt!

The misfires talked about in this thread is caused by a weak firing pin mainspring in the M77/50! I have corrected this by adding a shim to the weak mainspring inside the bolt assembly! I make the shim from a piece of copper tubing and place the shim at the rear end of the Spring! Several Black powder guns, including Remington, Knight, etc have this issue and can be corrected by using shims! Also best to not let these guns sit stored with the hammer cocked which will weaken the springs over a period of time! Also Musket caps will ignite with less firing pin mainspring spring force as compared to most #11 caps! (If you have two of the mainsprings you can cut and trim the second spring and use it as the (a) shim for more spring force, instead of the copper tubing shim!
Old July 15, 2008, 05:10 PM   #10
Hawg

Ruger has discontinued all bp guns.
Old July 15, 2008, 07:21 PM   #11
Arkie743

Yep, kinda a shame they are discontinued! I never have seen one that was not accurate, with saboted bullets, and real good carry and balance!
Old July 18, 2008, 06:53 PM   #12
wild willy

I have a Knight, a Encore,Sidekick and a 77/50 I like the 77/50 the best Easy to load accurate and handles nicer than the others I haven't had a misfire since changing to musket cap. had very few with No. 11s you got to make sure their seated the whole way always went off second try
Old July 19, 2008, 11:49 AM   #13
Arkie743

Mainsprings

Brownells also sells the Ruger 77/50 mainsprings at reasonable price!
We just acquired a Officers model Ruger 77/50 with the 209 conversion! Have not used enough yet to see if we are going to have to shim it's mainspring! The 209 ruger and the 209's have been grouping real good with same load as the other guns, but I have seen inconsistent groups with 209 primers with other guns. I suspect the 209 may be unseating the bullet from the powder before the powder gets a good burn, because use of #11 or musket caps would produce consistent good groups and the 209 groups become inconsistent! (some of the bolt guns also allows the hot particles from the 209 to come back through the bolt area onto the shooters face is another reason I do not care for 209 primers. Remington 700ML has this issue!
Shooter should wear a face shield in addition to the safety goggles when using 209's in a Rem 700ML!

Last edited by Arkie743; July 19, 2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo