The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 5, 2012, 04:32 AM   #1
AraneaeFatalis

"Old West" Finish on a Stainless Steel New Vaquero?

Is it possible? I've seen the glass bead blasted that's been done on stainless steel guns, but while looking at Uberti's website they have an Old West finish that makes the gun look, well, old.. Any way to get this replicated on my Stainless Steel New Vaquero? Been searching around the internet, but haven't found anything really.
Old October 5, 2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Shadi Khalil

You must be talking about case hardening on a blued revolver. You could have your revolver blued, then case hardened but it might cost more than your expecting, depending on who does it.
Old October 5, 2012, 05:05 AM   #3
AraneaeFatalis

It's not blued that I saw. It's a satin steel look that has some 'wear' look to it. Here's a picture:
Old October 5, 2012, 05:29 AM   #4
MJN77

That "old west" finish is the absence of a finish. It is bare gunmetal basically. So, no you cannot do that to a stainless revolver. It would have to be done to a blued revolver.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Bill DeShivs

"Worn" revolvers were new at one time!
Yours can be bead blasted and scuffed up.
Old October 5, 2012, 12:19 PM   #6
gak

As others have said, best you can do is bead blast and scuff up. I have two - a Cimarron (Uberti) and USFA Rodeo - done up after the fact. But, as said, they had originally been blued. The Cimarron was actually done for me by the smith at Cimarron on this side of the pond as they didn't have any of the "Original" (old west) finish in my caliber (.44 Sp) in their shipment order at the time and I was impatient. Through my LGS that was friendly with them, they offered to "do" a blued Model P they were inspecting on the bench. The USFA I had done by my smith.
Cimarron top, USFA bottom, 4th (late 3rd( Gen Colt in the middle.

Another of the Cimarron

Back to the stainless, there may be some "acid etching" I'm not aware of, but I say no, don't go there. I'd get a blue'd one to 'speriment with (there are formulas in threads in several of these forums, often involving vinegar, sometimes naval jelly to strip, etc.)

About Rugers, it's my understanding the underlying "in the white" steel on blued guns is brighter than other brands, this according to my smith, so results may be different. Not sure I've seen a blued Ruger "antiqued." Would be interesting. The current (New Vaquero) crop is nothing special to look at with it's plain blue (black) finish, so it's tempting to mess with. I'll post if I get the itch!

Last edited by gak; October 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old October 19, 2012, 12:58 PM   #7
dgludwig

Quote:
while looking at Uberti's website they have an Old West finish that makes the gun look, well, old..
I guess I've never understood the rationale behind buying new "old" guns, anymore than I've ever grasped the idea of paying for new jeans that are already half-worn out. My take on it is that if I want a gun that looks old, I'll be the one who does the aging...but that's just me.

Last edited by dgludwig; October 22, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old October 19, 2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Deja vu

Perhaps the OP is talking Case-Hardened?

The Uberti has beautiful case hardened guns on there web page.

if that is the case I think it is possible to do on a stainless bu it will be more work for the person applying it and thus more money.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 19, 2012, 08:40 PM   #9
DPris
Member Emeritus

You can't "blue" a stainless Ruger & then case-harden it.
Denis