The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 12, 2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Zachary H.

Good .22lr target rifle?

In light of my last thread, it seems as if the the best route to accurate rifle shooting is to start with and master a .22 and then move up to centerfire rifles.
I'm wanting a heavy barrel to get better accuracy and mitigate heat walking. I like the looks of the CZ-USA CZ 455 Varmint and the Savage Mark II BV. Any opinions on these rifles? Thanks!
Old February 12, 2013, 09:38 PM   #2
reynolds357

I got a Kimber and a 40X from CMP for cheap.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:43 PM   #3
LivnInAZ

I have the Savage Mark II FV and love it. Picked it up for $177 from Bud's.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:57 PM   #4
L_Killkenny

I'm a Savage fan all the way and refuse to buy the CZ kool-aid but if you're asking what is the better gun between the 2 the CZ wins at a price. Go over to the rimfire section at Snipers Hide for more info. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...oard=30&page=1
Old February 12, 2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Big Steve

Got the Savage just before Christmas. Great gun Dime size groups at 50 yards. Great trigger good balance. I looked real hard at the CZ. I do think the CZ is a better rifle but not by much. I shot a CZ at the range same group size with the same ammo. Both shooting the CCI Mini Mags.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Slamfire

I shot some vintage 22 LR target rifles in competition, the H&R M12, the Kimber M82 G, Win 52D's (expensive). You can get a good one for under $1000 bucks, some of them under $500, these are candidates: Rem 513, Rem 514, Rem 541, Mossberg, M52 C/D , Stevens M416, M52A/B, Win M75. The Kimbers were $425 at the CMP last month, which is a lot less than a $2500-3500 Anschutz.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:53 AM   #7
velocette

ZacharyH
If its a target rifle you want, the CMP offers Kimber 82g target rifles for $425.00 + shipping to your door. NO FFL or their fees, to your door.
http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/22targetsurplus.htm
These are new US govt surplus true target rifles with high quality target grade aperture sights.
I bought one several years ago and it was good enough for me to get to the top end of NRA smallbore prone expert class. (99.25% 10 ring) The next level up from the Kimber is an Anschutz with prices beginning at well over $1000.00.
The really good thing about the 82g rifles is that when you want to move up & go to sell it, you will get all your money back as they are easily sold to eager buyers.
You can go here: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=19 for much information on the 82g rifles.

Roger
Old February 13, 2013, 12:19 PM   #8
hard3

get a Mossberg 146t bolt action heavy barrel lyman sights 5 shot magazine .
Old February 14, 2013, 02:29 AM   #9
Gazpacho

Get a T/C Contender. Start with a 22lr barrel and work your way up.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:50 AM   #10
joneb

I bought a TOZ 78-01 for $130 I put a Swift 3x9 ao on it, it shoots .625" groups at 50yds with CCI Blazer.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:06 AM   #11
Brotherbadger

Oops wrong thread
Old February 14, 2013, 07:29 PM   #12
HankC1

Quote:
I have the Savage Mark II FV and love it. Picked it up for $177 from Bud's.
That has to be a price 10+ yrs ago!
Old February 16, 2013, 08:50 PM   #13
Zachary H.

Ruger 10/22 Target?

How does the Ruger, being an autoloader, compare to the others? I know most target rifles are bolt action; is this because they are more accurate? I'm leaning toward the Savage Mark II BV; how do these two compare? Thanks for your replies!
Old February 16, 2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Deja vu

Quote:
How does the Ruger(10/22), being an autoloader, compare to the others? I know most target rifles are bolt action; is this because they are more accurate? I'm leaning toward the Savage Mark II BV; how do these two compare? Thanks for your replies!
Bolts are naturally more accurate but if you put alot of money into the 10/22 you can make nearly, if not as accurate as a bolt... it just takes more money.

my opinion of course.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 16, 2013, 10:17 PM   #15
reynolds357

There is nothing any amount of money can do to make a 10-22 shoot with an Anschutz.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:26 PM   #16
MOREAMMO

I would agree that a 10/22 can be a real tack driver with some mods. But out of the box, my CZ's are hard to beat. Dont have any Savage rimfire experience though. But if anything like their centerfire counterparts, I would suspect them to be a really good buy.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:19 AM   #17
darkgael

Good

"Shoot an Anschutz or lose to one."
There is a lot of truth in that.
If you can afford one, you will never regret the buy.
Buy the best tools. Buy once.
Pete
Old February 17, 2013, 07:44 AM   #18
Picher

Annies pretty much rule the 3-P target world. The least expensive ones that are set up for the game you want to play are still excellent. Check them out at: ChampionShooters.com . Watch out for sticker shock!!

The Kimbers from CMP are gone, except for "new" but RUSTY ones, which may also have rusty bores.

Triggers are important to good position shooting. I wouldn't try to use a Savage MKII for 3 Position shooting; they just aren't well set up for it. If someone wants to shoot informally, like in turkey shoots, plinking, or recreationally shooting from the bench, the Savages are great. I haven't seen many wins by them, even in (unsanctioned) Plinker divisions of IR50/50 benchrest.

CZs are very nice rifles, but also not in the 3P or benchrest league, at least without a lot of work.

The least expensive quality target rifles are probably used Rem. 540X or 40X. The 540X may need to be bedded for its best accuracy, but triggers can be replaced.

Others, including the Rem 513 are pretty good shooters, but the actions and triggers are not the best quality. I had a Rem 521 that was an excellent shooter, but the action had issues.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:44 AM   #19
taylorce1

It wasn't that long ago I was looking for the same thing a decent 22 lr for use at an indoor range. I looked at all the target models and held the Savage and hated the feel of the stock. I looked at quite a few old Springfield, Winchester, Mossberg, Remington, and H&R target rifle 22's. After about a month of looking on gunbroker and local pawn shops I setteld on a Anschutz rifle imported by Savage it wasn't exactly what I was looking for but the deal I got on it changed my mind pretty rapidly. It slings up well and shoots great and while it isn't a heavy barrel it takes a long time to heat up shooting .22 LR especially when I have to load it single shot or take time to load up the magazine every five rounds.

The above pictures are from the day I picked it up from the local pawn shop. It came with a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 AO scope on it. The scope is way too much for the rifle and has come off and I'm just shooting it with the iron sights for now. Williams makes a aperature sight that attaches to the 3/8" dovetail that I'm thinking about purchasing. With decent bulk .22 LR ammunition it holds right at an inch for five shots off the bench at 100 yards with the scope on it, I think I could do better if I bought some Eley or other match quality .22 LR for it. It makes and excellent walking around plinking rifle that doesn't weigh a ton chasing small game.
Old February 17, 2013, 02:02 PM   #20
sholling

Anschutz is pretty much the top of the heap but can get expensive, especially those based on the "54" action. The "64" based models are cheaper but have well known extraction/ejection issues. Prices run from $800+ for hunting model to $1200 for a 64 MPR to $3000 plus for a fully tricked out "54" based competition model.

If you can't swing an "Annie" then the next best thing is a CZ453 Varmint or American. The 453 has a better trigger than their 452 and 455 and I highly recommend the 453 if you can afford it but the 455 is a mighty fine rifle.

You can modify a 2-3MOA out of the box Ruger 10/22 into a well sub-MOA match rifle that will shoot as well or better than the CZ with enough time, work and money but you'll have $500-1000 into the little Ruger by the time you're done not counting the optics.

Keep in mind one more thing - ammo. You'll not only have to use $0.12-0.40/round match ammo to get the most out of your target rifle - you'll have to find the one brand and model of ammo that your individual rifle likes best and the only way to know which that is though trial and error. Wolf is usually a good place to start because so many 22s really like their target and match ammo.

My Anschutz 64 MPR with a Weaver T24 scope. The 2-stage trigger is adjustable but comes from the factory set at 9oz (4.5+4.5oz).

CZ453 Varmint with a Weaver T24 scope. It's a nice rifle but I sold it to buy the Annie.

My recent 10/22 benchrest build with a Kidd barrel and Weaver V24 scope. The VQ trigger shown has been replaced with a 1lb (8+8oz) Kidd 2-stage trigger.

Last edited by sholling; February 17, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old February 17, 2013, 05:50 PM   #21
MemphisJim

I went the Savage route 3 years ago when I found a Mk II Mako (heavy barrel, unusual but functional stock) that evidently had been a distributor special when new. It came to me with very few rounds through the tube. At the moment I have BSA Sweet 22 scope on it but soon will change that out for a Nikon (stilll debating whether to get the BDC 150 reticle or the EFR). So far I get my best benchrest results with Wolf Match Extra (locally about $75 a brick). I shot a couple of boxes of Eley Tenex through it and got great results but not appreciably better than what I get with the significantly cheaper Wolf. I'd love to have an Annie, a Win 52 or a Kimber 82g, but until the lottery comes in, I'll happily settle for what I have.
Old February 17, 2013, 06:50 PM   #22
SIGSHR

Lots of oldies and goodies out there too. Too many models to list. I have a 1950s H&R Model 800 Lynx semiauto. Not a "target" rifle strictly speaking but I have fired dime-sized groups out of it.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:50 PM   #23
Guv

The 39 A Marlin has a nice heavy barrel, the one I have will put 5 shots under 1/2" @ 50yds with a Williams receiver sight.
Old February 18, 2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Pharm

It depends on how important accuracy is to you. The Kimber 82G's others have mentioned are great plinking rifles, but normally don't show top level match accuracy. The CZ's are fantasic shooters for sporter weight rifles. And as others have said a 54 actioned Anschutz is the cream of the crop.
Old February 18, 2013, 05:16 PM   #25
Zachary H.

Extreme accuracy isn't super important to me. It has to be decently accurate, but I am just going to use it as a training tool for shooting centerfires down the road. Now if it knocks off a few rabbits & squirrels in the process, that's gravy If I do start competing I will definitely get a better rifle.