The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 11, 2008, 09:44 AM   #1
kurtiss

Tactical Home Protection Questions

Our master bedroom is on one side of the house, and all other bedrooms are on the other side. I am in the situation that if there is an intruder in the middle of the night, I will be grabbing a handgun and making my way across the house to my kids rooms. (I love a shotgun for home defense, but I don't think it is practical to be dealing with the long gun and sleepy kids).

If I encounter an intruder between me and my kids rooms, I would be shooting in the direction of their rooms. Not a good thing. So my question is, what do you do? I had thought about putting up extra plywood or sheets of steel, or something built into their outer walls. However, this is probably not practical. Has anyone ever done this in their house?

We take a lot of measures to make sure nobody gets in the house in the first place. But you never know.
I know I am not the only one who has this tactical disadvantage. So what do you guys think?
Old August 11, 2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Creature

Very problematic. Can you go outside and around somehow? Can you go under or over?
Old August 11, 2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Keltyke

Get a GOOD alarm and use it. Train your kids, if old enough, when they hear the alarm, run to daddy's bedroom. Bunker down and call the cops. DON'T try to clear the house if you're not trained in it. If they're not old enough, you and Mom run to their room and bunker down there. Are the bedrooms upstairs or downstairs? What's the layout?

Get GOOD door and window locks. Deadbolts that go through to the 2x4 frame.

You're right, a shotgun with friendlies in the house is not a good idea. Get a large caliber revolver or semi-auto.

What's a GOOD alarm? I like CPI. You can have any number of control panels, all equipped with "panic" buttons. You can have an interior infrared setup(s), and alarms on any number of doors and windows. CPI has a whole house microphone/speaker system. When the alarm goes off, they're listening instantly and can hear pretty much anything that goes on in any room. After about 10 seconds, they'll come on the speaker and ask if everything's ok. They can hear your response from any room. "Intruder, call the police!"
Old August 11, 2008, 12:41 PM   #4
FM12

Just don't over do your protection and make it too difficult to get out in the event of fire. I've seen several persons that died in fire due to burglar bars on windows, etc.

FM(FireMarshal)12
Old August 11, 2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Keltyke

Quote:
So you don't believe that Islamofascists want to harm you??
That's good point. You have to weigh one against the other. Solid outside doors can use single cylinder dead bolts. Outside doors with windows present a problem. You MUST use double cylinder deadbolts there. You CAN hang a key close to the door, but out of reach and sight of a invader.

I wouldn't go as far as window bars, unless you live in the middle of Beruit. There is where your alarm shines. It will protect the windows with an instant alarm if broken or opened, and still allow a chair through one for quick egress in case of fire.
Old August 11, 2008, 01:40 PM   #6
BurkGlocker

I have taken out the sheetrock on the partition wall and put in solid 2x4s there (that whole wall is the back of their closets, so any electrical didnt need to be rerouted, but in my opinion its well worth it for their safety) and resheetrocked it. It cost a bit to do, but in my mind, it is worth it. Plus the sound proofing was an added bonus. It might not stop whatever is slung, but it will sure slow it down. It sounds like your situation is similar to mine, with the kids rooms across the house from my room. The kids do know that if they do hear the dog going nuts, to get down as low as they can, preferably under the bed and dont come out until they see me or the cops. And if they do hear gunfire, dont move, at all, until the above actions are performed. But i have lighting stratigicly placed in my home as to see shadows cast on certain walls, that and I have also mapped out my shooting lanes, if that scenario ever does come into play.

I also have a very noisy, big dog, and the tiniest bump in the night sets her off. Thankfully she doesnt go nuts until she hears something going on with our home. But our neighborhood is full of dogs, and there have been nights when the neighbor's dogs have gone nuts and I have been ready with pistol in hand and checked out the windows. Mostly it has been people coming home late at night, and once it was a group of kids playing in the alleyway, at 0400. That night they got a very rude awakening, (mostly because I did) and asked them that they needed to get out of the alleyway because someone might think that they were up to no good. One of them popped off that it was a free country until I asked them their ages and had cell phone in hand and started calling the cops. Curfew around here is 2300-0630 for anyone under the age of 17. Never seen that many kids take off so quick. But I did recognize a couple of the kids from when they tried to break into the house behind us, a house that I just recently moved out of, and that really prompted my call to the cops.

I hope this helps a little bit...

Brad
Old August 11, 2008, 02:39 PM   #7
shortwave

IMO best alarm system is a good dog. Sounds old fashoned but it works. Got a little Pomeranian and a German Shepard. Nothing goes bump in the night that doesn`t go un-noticed. Don`t know if you can but on kids walls of their bedroom ,at entry wall,you could put their dresser T111 plywood installed on same wall may be a good choice.
Old August 11, 2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Creature

Silly as this sounds, a book shelf (full of books) between them and the wall may help in slowing down a bullet even further...
Old August 12, 2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Shawn Dodson

Ahh, the Florida split bedroom floorplan.

If you're out in the open when you encounter Mr. badguy, move fast, with a purpose, and as laterally to the danger as your furnishings allow, to minimize your exposure. Move to a position where your kid's bedrooms are no longer directly behind the threat. Don't use suppression fire in attempt to get the bad guy to duck because you're defeating the entire puspose of what you're trying to do. Just move directly to your fighting position and then fire when you get there. (Your offline movement may cause confusion as the bad guy trys to figure out what you're doing - but don't count on it.)

If you cannot move to a fighting position, take a knee (kneeling position), preferably behind cover/concealment to change the angle of your trajectory so bullets you fire go overhead.
Old August 12, 2008, 11:13 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

1) Fence, at least 8ft preferably with touch sensors
1a)Motion Lights in the yard
2) At least 1 large dog outdoors at all times
3) At least 1 small dog indoors at all times
4) Super Good Alarm System
5) High Power Handgun
Old August 12, 2008, 11:15 AM   #11
jjyergler

Not as silly...

Creature, that idea isn't silly at all, it is by far the most cost effective solution to the penetration problem. It might also encourage the family, especially the kids to read.

I can suggest some great books, by Lott, Roosevelt, Kipling, C.S. Lewis, etc. to stock your nascent home library with.
Hi Standard Supermatic Citation .22LR - Tincans Beware
Old August 12, 2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Keltyke

Quote:
5) High Power Handgun
You forgot #6 peetza...the willingness to use it in cold blood. If you can't do that, don't pick it up.
Old August 12, 2008, 12:26 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You forgot #6 peetza...the willingness to use it in cold blood. If you can't do that, don't pick it up.
I thought that was assumed

Quote:
I can suggest some great books, by Lott, Roosevelt, Kipling, C.S. Lewis, etc. to stock your nascent home library with.
Yes, make sure to only put books no one will read in the bullet stopping library.
Old August 12, 2008, 01:08 PM   #14
jjyergler

Good point, but, since those books will be in view, I think they'd be better. Also, those authors would all be happy if a work of theirs helped save a life.

The books I wouldn't mind destroying aren't works I'd want anyone to see. Besides, hopefully, you won't be sending too many rounds downrange.
Hi Standard Supermatic Citation .22LR - Tincans Beware
Old August 12, 2008, 03:58 PM   #15
threegun

Alarm
Fortify doors (to stop the kick in and rush attacks aka home invasions)
Dog if possible our little pain in the butt can hear me coming from up the road
Have a plan
Old August 12, 2008, 05:46 PM   #16
dabigguns357

home improvement

Along with all the dogs,guns and alarms add a couple of night vision cameras from wally world to everything you have.I bought 3 packs at 78.96 a piece and it's the best money i've spent too.No one comes in or out with out my wife and i seeing them.So far in the last 7 months i have been able to catch two people who broke in to both our cars,one even went to jail for it too.My inside cameras sees down at at angle and down the hall to the steps leading up stairs to the kids room and my other indoor camera is in the same position facing down and into the kitchen at the back door.I can see any view from any camera on any tv in the house.I know this sounds like i'm nuts but How else am i going to see every bump in the night.
Old August 12, 2008, 05:49 PM   #17
Superhouse 15

House

I have ordered "bomb blankets" for a homeowner to install in his walls in a split-plan. I have myself built in a couple of large bookshelves in my house. I have a gun safe positioned for cover, as well as a solid heavy timber bedframe. My locks, heavy door, and 4 legged alarm system are in place, and a baby monitor makes a great whole-house system, for a fraction of the cost of a "tactical system" I also have a set of Tactical Balls (yes, really) to help me clear some of the open areas of my house as I cross to the boy's room. A thread on the balls here:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...tactical+balls
I'm also working on controlling all the house lights from my bedroom. And also as a firefighter, be careful what you put in place, and remember you'll need a smoke detector more often than a burglar alarm. Beware of security bars and get some "Tot Finder" stickers, too.

And as for the shotgun, it's hard to move a kid with a two-hand gun, but (and please lets not open old wounds about it) birdshot wont penetrate much drywall, much less improved walls or furnishings. An ounce or so of #6 or #4to someone's face or crotch will change the direction of the fight.
Reference here:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm
Birdshot is about the only thing I could shoot and miss with in my house that would not end up in my neighbor's kitchen.
Old August 12, 2008, 05:49 PM   #18
Creature

Please elaborate on those cameras...I have not seen any night-vision CCTV cameras at my Wally World. I am very interested in getting a set.
Old August 12, 2008, 06:01 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Please elaborate on those cameras...I have not seen any night-vision CCTV cameras at my Wally World. I am very interested in getting a set.
+1
Old August 12, 2008, 06:15 PM   #20
dabigguns357

cameras

The system is made by astak and you will find them in the photo department.The cameras themselves are 2.4 GHz nightvision wireless cameras with audio.Each set comes with 2 cameras and a receiver or you can buy the first set and add cameras to the one receiver.I went ahead and bought 3 sets so i would have a receiver hooked to every tv in the house.These cameras are good enough to see a person in the dark at about 50 feet away.
Old August 12, 2008, 06:29 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4287662
Old August 12, 2008, 06:34 PM   #22
dabigguns357

that one must have replaced my model but yea thats about the same thing and alittle more expencive too but still worth it.here is the model i have CM-906D2
Old August 12, 2008, 06:57 PM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yikes! That ones even worse...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8668490
Old August 12, 2008, 09:31 PM   #24
dabigguns357

I agree yikes is right.I bought mine way cheaper in the store but that was almost 8 months ago too,sorry.But on a good note if you buy the first set then you buy individual cameras after that,as long as they are 2.4 GHz.How many of us hate looking through peepholes or just have a big piece of glass for a front door.Now if i hear a knock on the door late at night i'll be able to see them from their knees up and if they are holding a weapon or not before i even get out of bed.How many of ya'll would like to know if it's the inlaws so you didn't have to answer the door.It's even gotten me out of some religious disccusions more than a few times.As i have said in past posts,i want to see whats on the other side of the door before i shoot.
Old August 12, 2008, 09:58 PM   #25
Cyklopz

There are some good replies already, here is a little project I thought of for my own situation.

http://home.insightbb.com/~cyklopz/prototype/

Not to expensive, can be built where needed and could be finished to look at least OK if exposed.

Cy