The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2001, 12:23 AM   #1
Coronach

Well.

Despite my PD's tendency for... 'odd' procurement decisions, or perhaps in line with it, our cruiser shotguns are about to get an extensive refit.

We STILL won't have a shotgun for each cruiser, and for the loot we just dumped on all this new stuff, I bet we could outfit every car with a 'stock' 870 Police Magnum.

But...

How does 870 Police Magnum with Surefire Responder, Tac-sling, mag extension and Speedfeed stock with pistol grip sound? The speedfeed will have slugs on board.

The only part I don't like is the PG. I've used one only occasionally, and I'm not good with it. Anyone know of good drills/techniques to develop proficiency with a PG-stocked shotgun, besides just practice-practice-practice?

Thanks,
Mike

PS Now, to get myself asigned to unit with a full-time shotgun...

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old March 26, 2001, 05:21 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Mike, assuming that PG you're talking about has a real stock attached....

The exercises I posted in the past will be useful, the fast ones especially so.

Add some practice mounts and you should be ready.

The piece sounds like someone took the trouble to do a little research. Congrats, it must be nice to have someone in the Chain Of Command give a damn.
Old March 26, 2001, 10:21 AM   #3
Coronach

Yes, it is a full-stock with PG.

I agree that this is a quality piece of equipment. I personally think that we'd be better off getting enough 'stock' shotguns to field one SG per cruiser, but I'm certainly not calling this a bad deal. It looks very nice indeed.

Add to my (short) list of gripes a desire for real sights. But hey, they could have done much much worse.

Thanks for the tips, Dave.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old March 26, 2001, 10:46 PM   #4
K80Geoff

How bout this!

I was talking with my cousin who recently retired as a detective with the NYPD. He was giving some advice to his daughter who recently graduated from the NYPD academy. He told her that if she gets assigned to a special squad like narcotics or whatever she will have to qualify with a short barrelled SxS!

It seems the NYPD still uses Stevens SxS shotguns! And they make officers qualify with both buckshot and slugs! OUCH!

I thought he was just pulling her leg, but he claims the NYPD still uses doubles.

Geoff Ross
Old March 27, 2001, 05:50 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're welcome, Mike.

Lots of good work has been done and will be done with a bead sight. Remember that agency criteria are based on the lowest common denominator, the marginal officer that dislikes guns, rarely practices, and regards range time as an ordeal, rather than a chance to have fun shooting up ammo someone else pays for. If that officer can be safe and effective with a bead sight weapon, a better officer becomes a tremendous resource in high stress, short time frame AS scenarios with that weapon.

Geoff, some Special Units still use doubles in serving warrants. The paradigm includes the fact that the officers work as a team,and backup is right there. The doubles (Usually Savage 311s) are shorter than repeaters of similiar bbl length and have a simpler manual of arms.

The intimidation factor of those two big muzzles has to be considered also.
Old March 27, 2001, 06:38 PM   #6
Coronach

Bead vs. other sights

I'm mostly concerned with the use of slugs with bead sights. The entire point of having the slug is to make a semi-precise short-ranged rifle shot (well, that and dealing with an armoured perp...the former is more likely), and in order to do that you 'need' rifle-type sights.

I've never been forced to do precise slug shooting with a bead-equipped shotgun, but I'm already going to be spending time getting up to speed with the PG. Just another thing to work on.

Oh well, more free shooting.

Thanks again!
Mike