The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 21, 2013, 12:15 AM   #1
SGL1

Conceal carry weight issue, G27 or Sig250?

Glock 27 or Sig P250? I so far have chosen these two based on reliability and quality/price but have shot neither. I currently carry an XD40sc. Love the gun but even with the 9rnd clip it's a hefty sucker. I want another .40 just because availability of ammo and stopping power.

The Sig does seem to be a bit heavier and I really need a light pistol as I walk all day for my job and I'm not a big guy. Would also like to carry in my shoulder holster sometimes. Leaving the shirt untucked gets old. Especially now that Winter is on us.

Thx!
Old November 21, 2013, 04:39 AM   #2
Tomac

Of the two you mentioned, I prefer the P250. However, I like the P250's DAO trigger (not everyone does) and modularity that allows me to swap caliber and size around the central serialized FCU (fire control unit).
For lighter carry I have the SIG P290RS which is also DAO but much easier to carry/conceal.
Tomac
Old November 21, 2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Dashunde

I have a Glock 27 that I like very much, but carry rarely due to its weight/thickness. I doubt the P250 would be any easier.
Personally, I'm giving another look at the Kahr CM40 despite its recoil. I happily carried a PM9 for a few years, great gun, just not crazy about 9mm.
The difference in carry feel between the G27 and the PM9 was very noticable.... The Kahrs seemingly small differences in width/length/weight all add up making it much easier to carry for me. The Kahrs also have a great trigger and soft recoil for their size.
Give the CW40 a look, it might be just what your needing for edc.
Old November 21, 2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Technosavant

I personally don't find the weight of a P250 to be troublesome at all. With a decent belt and holster (one with widely spaced straps to spread the weight) it is pretty well unnoticeable. But then again, I've also carried an aluminum framed 5" 1911 like that too (30 ounces unloaded) and it also carried quite nicely- the only reason I don't carry it more often is a five inch barrel is a lot to have sticking down one's pants (tends to lever it uncomfortably while seated).

A P250 subcompact with magazine but no rounds is reported to be 24.9 ounces. A G27 Gen 4, according to Glock, is even lighter- 19.75 ounces empty, 27 loaded.

Personally, I think either would do well for you so long as your carry gear is up to snuff.
Old November 21, 2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Nanuk

You are talking about ounces of difference.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 21, 2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

Those are in my ballpark of "light weight" guns man. I don't know what you're talking about brother. Get a good belt and holster. You should be good to go right off the bat with just that adjustment.

What gear are you running right now?
Old November 22, 2013, 11:28 AM   #7
SGL1

It very well could be the IWB holster I'm using. It's not a great one. But the pistol with 9 rnds in mag weighs right at 2lbs. My shoulder holster is a Kangaroo carry. If I could get weight down to around 1.5lbs or so that'd be great.

The Kahr CM40 is a great recommendation except for a couple things. Barrel length and trigger pull. My XD is 3" and I wouldn't mind a bit longer. But it is a consideration.

Last edited by SGL1; November 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old November 22, 2013, 03:12 PM   #8
jmhyer

Maybe Walther PPS40? I love mine.
Old November 22, 2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Dashunde

Quote:
The Kahr CM40 is a great recommendation except for a couple things. Barrel length and trigger pull. My XD is 3" and I wouldn't mind a bit longer.
Check out the CW40, it has a 3.6" barrel?
The trigger pull is similar but much lighter than a dao, its also silky smooth and linear.
Old November 23, 2013, 01:59 PM   #10
SGL1

CW40 has a great price on it too! But that 6 rnd mag little on the slight side. But man, great price!
Old November 24, 2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Dashunde

eh, seven 40's is nothing to sneeze at...
The CW/CM's are a good balance of power, weight, cost, shootability, carryability and round count vs the risk of needing more.
Old November 24, 2013, 11:19 AM   #12
SGL1

No, you're absolutely right 7 40's would definitely get your point across. In fact, I'm thinking full understanding would be found around the 2nd or 3rd round.