The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 29, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1
GringoLoco

Gun vault problem

I've searched and found a few people that had this problem, but they never posted if they resolved it. I have an older Gun Vault floor standing model, I think it's the 5900 or something. It's been plugged in to AC for the last couple years and the batteries went dead. It's been unplugged for a few weeks while I was moving. When I plugged it back in my code didn't work. I tried do the factory default 1-2-3-4 code and that didn't work either, even though the machine is supposed to default back to that. It has no keyed backup lock. I called gunvault and they said I'd need to call a locksmith. I asked how a locksmith could get in there without destroying it, since it has no external lock, and he said they could do it. He then mentioned something about the circuit being damaged when it's plugged in with dead batteries. I said so it's garbage then? He then said I just needed to replace the batteries. So great, it either needs new batteries or it's destroyed, and I'll have to pay a locksmith to find out? Anybody ever deal with this? It seems to be a fairly common problem but I can't find any resolutions.
Old March 30, 2012, 10:23 AM   #2
FAS1

I have no personal experience with them and I don't know anyone that has the floor model like you mentioned, but I think all the GV products revert to the 1-2-3-4 default code if there is a complete power failure. The batteries are there to keep your personal access code secure. Otherwise all one needs to do is unplug the power cord and use the default code. Would not be secure at all without the batteries. Anyway, I would think there is going to be something else wrong with the electronics if it doesn't reset to the default code. Are parts still avail. to repair? If so, I would try to get an idea of the total cost with parts and labor for opening and replacing the electronics to make a decision on repairing. Then if you decide it's worth it and it turns out to be as simple as replacing the batteries you'll come out OK. Good luck.
Old March 30, 2012, 10:32 AM   #3
TMD

Most of the safes that I've ever looked at with an electronic lock use just the battery power for the keypad. The cord coming out of the back connects to a powerstrip inside for lights and dehumidifiers.
Old March 30, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
FAS1

Pushbutton pad on top of safe. Different than most electronic locks on a safe.

Old March 30, 2012, 07:03 PM   #5
GringoLoco

The factory code is SUPPOSED to default to 1-2-3-4 when the batteries die, but for some reason if you plug it in when the batteries die it wipes even that out. Who designs this crap? I'm hoping it can still be reprogrammed and the electronics aren't shot. So any locksmiths here, would it be possible to get into it without destroying it?