The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 5, 2010, 07:38 AM   #1
finz50

Slapping the trigger....how do I stop it??

Shot another IDPA match and was lucky enough for a more experienced shooter to critique me. He said during the two COFs that I shot, I was slapping the trigger, and it was affecting my accuracy. I noticed it more when I was shooting for time vs. accuracy. Any thoughts on what I can do do improve???
Old September 5, 2010, 07:43 AM   #2
dawico

Replay this kind of shooting during practice, with timer and all. When you catch yourself doing it, stop, reprimand yourself, and start again. Now that you are aware of the problem, it should be easier for you to catch yourself doing it. Oh yeah, and practice, practice, practice.
Old September 5, 2010, 07:46 AM   #3
finz50

That's the problem, I wasn't aware of it....he told me afterward. I'm still trying to figure out what it means.....from what he stated, it sounded like I was releasing my finger off the trigger in between shots then bringing it back onto the trigger hard and causing bad shots...
Old September 5, 2010, 08:34 AM   #4
g.willikers

Trigger slap generally results in the muzzle being pulled off the target.
But a controlled trigger slap is used by some of the top shooters.
Here's why:
if the finger comes straight back (the emphasis is on "straight"), when smacking the trigger for the next shot, it doesn't pull the muzzle off target.
It's more of a simple gross motor skill compared to the fine motor skill of "riding the link" or just releasing the trigger enough to reset for the next shot.
It's guaranteed to re-set the trigger.
Intentional trigger slap allows faster shooting.
But it definitely requires excellent control and technique to be of help in shooting faster.
Old September 8, 2010, 09:33 AM   #5
dardascastbullets

A suggestion

THE most important element in any type of pistol competition is seeing the sights aligned to your target during the shot process. You are not concentrating on your sights/alignment - you are more attuned to the time function of the competition. Train on your sighting/alignment technique first - begin with slow fire and build up to a more rapid technique whereby you know that you are indeed seeing the sights aligned to your target during the entire shot process. Sound like I am repeating myself - I am intentionally! The time criteria will take care of itself once you have mastered the sighting/alignment process.

Good luck with your new training regiment!
Old September 9, 2010, 04:37 PM   #6
g.willikers

This book has been continually published for many years, it's that good:
"Practical Shooting, Beyond the Fundamentals", by Brian Enos.
http://brianenos.com/store/books.html
Old September 10, 2010, 07:01 AM   #7
l98ster

I have noticed that people who are having a problem with trigger slap is that they are trying to shoot to fast for the skill level that they are currently at.

Try slowing down to the point where you do not slap the trigger. Even if that pace is like shooting slowfire bullseye! Speed comes with time and practice.

-George
Old September 11, 2010, 12:47 AM   #8
Bullseye Smith

If shooting a revolver you can pull on the trigger till the cylinder locks and then pull the trigger like you were shooting single action. On tupperware when you pull the trigger count to yourself 1001 then go to the next round. Alot of dry fire will help. Every time I shoot fast I am my biggest problem. I shoot a revolver in all phases of Bulleye double action, range time is what counts.
Old September 11, 2010, 08:30 PM   #9
10-96

Finz50- Does your firearm have, or can it be fitted with, a trigger stop? That's a screw, pin, or other device that can be adjusted so that the trigger stops (and does not move any further rearward) precisely at the moment the sear breaks. A short trigger pull, along with practice and dicipline, makes for a finer motor skill and with that practice you'll be able to form a more refined muscle memory in a shorter stroke.

My duty pistol is a semi-auto DAO Beretta (no choice there) and it's pull is every bit as long or longer than Bullseye Smiths revolvers. When I shoot my duty weapon and then try to switch over to my bullseye .22- I find that my trigger control for the short-stroke goes to poop and gets all kinds of ugly.

I have a Sig P220 that would be awesome for your type of competition. The trigger is sharp, light, and once the shot breaks- you can feel the sear reset upon the trigger return. Within probably 3/16", I can "milk" the trigger between the shot and reset for the best trigger control I've ever felt. The secret to that is to never take the finger off of the trigger during the firing stage.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 15, 2010, 09:13 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

trigger control; the hardest part

Start and end all practice sessions with disciplined group-shooting at a minimum 25 yds.
Shoot ONLY for the tighest group; suggest 25 rds minimum both at the beginning, and at the end.

You will be training yourself to properly release the trigger.
Old September 19, 2010, 09:53 PM   #11
Jesse Tischauser

Slapping the trigger isn't alwasy a bad thing. You don't need perfect trigger control at 3 yards. Make sure you prep the slack out of the trigger every shot that requires. With proper trigger prep a littel slap won't kill you.