The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1
D-Ric902

Gents, I need some recipes

I'm looking for 40 S&W data, manuals are all over the place on loads and I don't want to try them all just a couple or three good ones.

I'm using 180 grain TC from Lasercast and 165 grain FP from Berry's
I'm asking for midrange and accurate loads, not looking for blasters.
I have W231 and Unique
Shooting a couple of Sigs and a PX4
Thanks in advance
Old April 28, 2009, 04:24 PM   #2
That'll Do

Start with the minimum load for each of the powder/bullet combos. That will usually give you the best accuracy. If you want a little more oomph, then move up a little charge wise.

My primary range load for 40 S&W has been a Berry's 155gr FP and Win 231. Mild recoil and accuracy that's better than me...
Old April 29, 2009, 12:58 AM   #3
snuffy

TANSTAAFL There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!

I wish there was such a thing as one standard load that works in EVERY weapon. Then component selection would be simple, one bullet, one powder, one primer, case, grains of said powder. Sounds boring doesn't it?

In other words, you're going to have to pick some components from the vast array out there, work up loads for your guns. No shortcuts.

Me telling you use X Y Z to shoot A B C will do you no good. My load may shoot okay in your gun, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 29, 2009, 03:47 AM   #4
Shoney

Quote:
snuffy said:
TANSTAAFL There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!
To ilustrate the wisdom snuffy wrote; I got 5 Bulgie Mak 9X18's when they were $89.00 each when you bought 5. Out of 3 brands of cast in 90 & 100 gr, and the three brands of JHP's 90-95 gr, and testing with 7 different powders (there was no load data published back then), not one of the 5 performed well using the exact same load.

Most loads were mid range with lead, and the JHP's worked well from moderate to Stout loads. Russian ammo used 120gr bullets at velocites 200-300 fps faster than the hotest 95 JHP.

If you want accurate loads, ya gotta do the work!!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 29, 2009, 12:55 PM   #5
ccwtrainer

40 S & W load

I have used 4 grains of W231 under a 180 LRN bullet is almost every pistol made that shoots the 40 S & W with very good results in every pistol.
Granted "one size rarely fits all" pistols but this load comes pretty close!
Old April 29, 2009, 01:24 PM   #6
snuffy

Quote:
If you want accurate loads, ya gotta do the work!!
Thanks Shoney, most times when I answer like that, I get some that accuse me of being selfish. I know what works in my pistols/revolvers, because I took the time and effort to work up loads.

CCWT, welcome to the forum! I, my self, use 5.0 231 behind 165 RNFP extreme plated bullets. I reduce that by 1/2 grain for 175 lead boolits. They work well in my M-22 glock.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 29, 2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Shoney

snuffy
I have always been leary of giving or using loads from any forum on the net. Their ar buch tings astypos,

ccwtrainer
WELCOME TO TFL!!!

In the literature of accuracy loads for IPSC shooter, their accuracy loads with WW231 and 180 gr bullets range from 4.8to 5.8 gr. Your 4.0 charge is a real powder puff load in comparison, a great plinking load. However, I prefer to practice with loads closer to my PD ammo, and those are pretty snappy.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 29, 2009, 07:47 PM   #8
ccwtrainer

Thanks for the welcome shoney and snuffy, I've been reloading for more that 40 years and am happy to find a group of "real" perople that I can communicate with with similiar interests.
Old April 29, 2009, 07:55 PM   #9
ccwtrainer

By the way, you will find as the arthritus takes over, you too will start reducing your loads to ease the pain if you want to continue shooting.
I do have 1,000 rounds of 180 JHP loaded with 5.5 grains of W231 but they are in my get away "grab bag" along with 40 loaded 30 round AR15 mags.
Everyone should have a last ditch grab bag, don't you think?
Maybe this is covered somewhere else in this forum, if it isn't, it should be!