The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2005, 09:39 AM   #1
Paintballer

Shotshell help

My grandfather gave me a Hornady 366 reloader a few weeks ago after I bought my Remington 870 12ga.
This reloader has to be at least 20 years old, and seems to work well, though I have only managed to spill some powder and shot when I test pulled the handle.
I would like to know if it is possible to use this for reloading buckshot 00, and 000.
Also, he gave me a hand reloader, but I know nothing about that.
Is it possible to reload slugs and buckshot with a hand reloader? Is it safe and cost effective?
Along with the reloader, there were some shells in the box, about 200 or so, that are reloads. They for the most part look OK, but again, have to be at least 20 years old. Some have corrosion on the brass and primer, so I wont try those, but the rest look OK. Should I give them a try? Is 20 years too long for shells to sit?
I want to be able to use this gift safely and learn how to make my own shells.
Any advise/help is great. Thanks.
Old June 16, 2005, 11:14 AM   #2
sm

http://www.hornady.com/

User manual, parts diagram , loading data and such are available.

Yes one can load various buck loadings, one MUST use the loading data and heed all warnings as posted by the MFG of components.

I also recommend a book of shotshell re-loading. There are quite a few - mine was so old - chisled in stone - perhaps Hornady or other members can recommend a newer one - or perhaps www.abebooks.com has some of the classics available.

And of course - Bob Brister's Shotgunning: The Art and the Science is a must for any shotgunner.

FWIW I have fired reloaded paper and plastic hulled shoshells that were 30 yrs old, stored in cool , dry conditions and felled targets, doves, quail ....

I fired some all plastic Activ hulls I reloaded when Ford was Prez - they did fine.

HTH

Steve
Old June 16, 2005, 09:25 PM   #3
Ruger4570

For most "buckshot" loads you will have to place the shot in the shell by hand. Most of the buckshot loads require them to be "fit" into the hull.
Old June 17, 2005, 02:02 AM   #4
rg1

Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook 4th edition has buckshot loading data. Again follow the recipes exactly and do not substitute components. It's not very easy to get nine pellets of 00 buck into the hull and get a good crimp. Buckshot factory loads are not too expensive but if you want to give it a go, then I highly recommend the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook.
Old June 17, 2005, 02:19 AM   #5
rg1

Your Hornady loader should do just fine to load any shotshell. If you need a manual I'd get in contact with Hornady. Knowing how to set up your loader is a safety issue as well as turning out quality loads. As for your old shotshells, I'd open them up, save the shot, and scrap the rest. Not worth the chance using unknown loads and deteriorated components. Get all the shotshell reloading information that you can and even an experienced loader to help get you started would be helpful. Your local skeet-trap range should have available for sale plenty of once fired hulls. Get your loading manuals and find a load using your new once fired hulls, then purchase the primers and wads specified for the load you want. Remington Premier and STS hulls seem to be the most popular today but if you want to load buckshot then get your Lyman manual to see what components you need to use. good luck and be safe!
Old June 17, 2005, 10:25 AM   #6
Throckmorton

Hand reloader?

is it a Lee loader? just curious.
In general you save very little money loading shotshells,but it is still an enjoyable hobby.
Hornady has a new primer setup for the press to make the primer station more 'universal' and not have to be adjusted for diff. brands of shells.All hulls are NOT created eqaual.Pick one brand of hull and stick with it to make life simpler.I like STS hulls.
Mount the press inside a cake pan.You already know why.
Old June 17, 2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Paintballer

WOW!
Thanks for all the info. Is it really just easier and about as cost effective to just buy new shells?
All the equipment was given to me, and I hate to waste things people give to me. I just have no idea where to start with wads, powder measuring and all that for slugs and buckshot. If there isnt much $$ difference in making my own VS buying in bulk, I think I may just spend a couple bucks on a case of 00.
I am going to a gun show this weekend to get some more info.
Thanks alot everyone.
Old June 17, 2005, 11:58 AM   #8
sm

Re: Reloading

Granted at this time I am semi- retired from reloading. I buy my ammo, be it shot, buck or slugs.

I was quite avid and very very good friends with Mr. Pattern Board. Yes I did make my own slugs for 28 ga. I did have a helluva 28 ga load with #5 hard copperplated shot. T&E with all loadings [ buck, shot and slugs]

For me, I could make a better shotshell that performed in MY Gun for THAT task for less monies. I am speaking mostly of target loads, and hunting loads.

My reloading "area" well...mine had a bedroom, kitchen, 2 car garage [I needed a loading dock] off to the side....I realize some folks use a spot inside a house. I had a BIG reloading area with the amenities.

My T&E [ and 'developement' ] for slugs and buckshot was for some special niches, and to "see how this would work, could I tweak, is there something better / something missing...?" Understand I was also into forcing cones, bore diameters, fixed versus screw in chokes...Russian, swaged, Jug, Poly, Cutts....I was real busy educating myself and learning from the works of Brister, Misseldine, Isleng, Olin, Stan Baker and so many others....

I had as many as 10 or 11 reloaders. I shot over 25k rds in 12 ga alone. Someone said I shot 40k in 12 ga alone one year...I was not home much that year so yeah I can believe it. For instance I have a '74 SX1 with well over 200k rds fired thru it. Yep still runs and never misses a beat.

Just decide what you want to do as far as shooting is concerned. Learn the safe and correct methods and recipes. Get to know Mr. Pattern Board.

Reloading...
One may not always save monies. One is likely to shoot more, become a better shooter which in turn starts the wheels in motion and the cylce repeats.