The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 23, 2008, 11:03 AM   #1
TexasSteyr

new to cas..

I am wanting to start CAS but I have seen different views on what is the best caliber. I was wondering what your opinions were? I am thinking about either .357 or .45 lc in either Ruger Vaquero or Cimarron Evil Roy.
Old July 23, 2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Hawg

Just go with whatever you like best. If you go with .357 and don't reload .38's are cheaper. You probably already know you can't use .357 loads. You'll probably want the rifle in the same caliber for convenience but some magnum rifles are finicky about cycling short cases.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:33 PM   #3
TexasSteyr

Thanks

No I did not know that I could not use the .357 loads. I have done research and oddly that did not come up. I do not reload so I think I might just go for the 45lc. Any other suggestions? What about Shotguns?
Old July 23, 2008, 12:52 PM   #4
ZeSpectre

For cost purposes I'd recommend .38 Special. (It's what I did and I don't regret it).

If you must be "authentic" then .45 LC

Regardless do the same caliber for your pistols and rifle and it'll save you a lot of headaches. Whatever you do don't do something like .45 for pistols and .44 for rifles or whatever, that's an accident actively looking to happen.

PM me if you have other questions and I'll try and answer.
Old July 23, 2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Hawg

Loads must be kept at 1000 fps. or less out of pistols, 1400 fps. or less for rifles. No jacketed bullets. Unless you've got plenty of money .45 Colt's are expensive when you can find them. Usually around 35.00 per box of 50 and on a five stage match you'll usually shoot at least 100 rounds. Five in each pistol and ten rifle on every stage. Some of the .357 rifles won't hold but nine rounds if you use .357 cases unless you clip a few coils off the mag spring.
Most SXS shotguns without extractors are legal with or without hammers. The 1887 Winchester and clones are legal as is the 1897 Winchester pump but the 93/97 is NOT legal. However repeaters can only be loaded with two rounds. The rest must be loaded on the clock. You'll usually shoot at least four sg rounds per stage sometimes more. Sometimes you shoot a knockdown which throws a popper.
Here's a link to the SASS handbook with the rules but they're not always clear.http://www.sassnet.com/Shooters-Handbook-001A.php
You might want to sign up on the SASS forums but make sure you have a thick skin when you ask questions these guys have heard a million times. http://www.sassnet.com/forums/
BTW, you do not have to be a SASS member to shoot local matches but the entrance fee will be higher if you're not. You do have to be a member to shoot state and regional matches.

Cowboy dress is required.

Oh yeah, if you go to the SASS forum you can buy off the classifieds without being a paid SASS member but you cannot sell unless you are.

Last edited by Hawg; July 23, 2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added info